Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a reasonable wage for a caregiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a reasonable wage for a caregiver?

Back on the subject of caregivers. This summer since my regular caregiver is out of the country it has been chaos. I got one girl lined up who is an assistant teacher. She came and work a little while, left before finishing and quit. Next, I met a very outstanding biologist who is seeking full time teaching position. She agreed to take the job and backed out at the last minute.

I get a text, “hey there! I’m sorry I can’t do this job, something came up.” I called her and said i was really disappointed because I was counting on her. So, out of guilt, she referred me to a friend. I like the friend a lot but have so much anxiety that she will not show up. Then, the one who had been filling in wrote down her hours. They were triple what my regular girl charges me. I had to confront her on it. It didn’t go well and she quit.

I still believe it is the imbalance and shortage of caregivers but always wonder what I could do differently. No one wants to work at this time of year so they act like I am putting them out to do anything. And, underneath it all, I really can’t afford to have any help, anyway.

So how to proceed from here? Do I set up a written contract?

And, taking into consideration the cost of living in different places, what do you believe is a fair hourly wage? I have been paying more than the what agencies pay their workers but get no appreciation.

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
    what do you believe is a fair hourly wage? I have been paying more than the what agencies pay their workers but get no appreciation.
    Hello Palmtree,

I am also interested in the responses you will receive, thank you very much for starting such a meaningful thread.

May I ask what you are paying? I just spent some time trying to locate figures a friend (a home hospice worker who works 3 or 4 hour shifts, available overnight also) gave me. Can't find them!

I remember distinctly thinking she would give me a break, as a friend. She was not going to go through her employer. She planned on charging me as much as her employer. Yikes!

Guessing here, around $55 / hour... is that about right? I'm not anywhere near a city.

Jer

Comment

Hello palmtree and Jer

My younger sister (who is my care helper) recently worked for a home health care agency (in Ohio).

The agency charged the clients $22 - $25 per hour (minimum 3 hours per day requirement) for non-skilled/non-medical home care assistance.

My sister received $9 per hour wages.

In this area, a home care assistant, working on their own (independent), charges anywhere from $15 - $18 per hour (average).

Word of mouth referral is usually beneficial with this type of help. My sister still gets calls from people who want to hire her, due to former clients (or their family member or friends) telling this person about her, who then tells that person, and on and on.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The caregiver I had for Sam charges $20.00 per hour. The least expensive around here. And... she is excellent!! I would gladly have paid her double that if she asked for it.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Agencies are ridiculous! The only advantage to them is you don’t have to go through the stress of managing (sometimes) unruly people. The rate that the employees get paid is $9/hour working for an agency in my area. We pay between $29 and $98. Agencies also have their minimums and rigid schedules.

I always thought it was a good deal for the workers to share the overhead but they don’t seem to see it that way. After hearing what others are paying, maybe I should be grateful. I have been paying $18/hour. That is without taxes. For many years it was considered very generous but I think things are changing. After hearing from all of you I feel like a cheapskate.

My freedom is one of the things I value more than anything. I can still manage my own ADLs, cook simple meals, manage the money and do a very limited amount of basic chores(taking a dish out to the kitchen is enough for one day).

The hard things are grocery shopping, taking out the trash, washing the dishes and mopping the floors. The Tysabri has lowed my immune system so much my abode has to be kept very very clean.

The most painful part of this is when they become indignant, stomp out or worse. I end up paying them what they want and feel taken because I can’t bear the thought of retaliation of any kind.

The only other thing I am thinking about doing is drafting a contract. I hate being so legalese but hoping it will prevent misunderstandings. Any and all suggestions/ideas are welcome.

Comment

Just thinking that if you are paying under the table, not sure you want a contract.

Have you tried a job description, that specifies the duties/hours so there can be no misunderstanding on expectations? You could probably start with one that you see the agency use, then modify based on specifics. Likewise, not sure you want if paying under the table.

For groceries, there are many stores that offer online order and either pickup or delivery with it. May be an option when you are without help.

Hope you find good temp help until your regular caretaker comes back.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

That is a good point about taxes and courts. I’m not sure how rigid that is. I only have someone a few hours a week. Politicians have gotten in trouble for the nanny tax but this country has a giant workforce that isn’t even legally able to be here.

I am thinking about a contract more to make it clear there are no misunderstandings. One of my clients(when I was still able to work) was a lawyer and he said, “contracts are only as good as the people behind them”. I never forgot it.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                I am thinking about a contract more to make it clear there are no misunderstandings.

Aside from the very valid point made by pennstater: "Just thinking that if you are paying under the table, not sure you want a contract" you may consider a contract adding even more anxiety. Say you feel the contract is violated, do you have the desire to follow through with all legal hassles?

Since most ADL's seem to be covered at this time, and the issue of shopping can be handled online as suggested by pennstater, your 3 - 4 hour assistance may be put in writing in a friendly fashion first, not a contract... more of a friendly assistance needed approach. Then, if you are a church goer, posted with permission, on the church bulletin board or wherever. This guarantees a local response, and some one who could use the money.

The same approach could be used at a local retirement facility or assisted living. Not for the residents to respond, but the people who work there are usually compassionate and at least as qualified as those responding to your thread established they need to be (not RN's but caring people, possibly older also, a plus!). And the workers there may know qualified responsible people.

Hopefully the money / expense issue would become secondary, as Marti mentioned, once she found the right person.

Comment

Thank you for you very valid and thoughtful response to the contract issue. I couldn’t agree more that it is much more comfortable for both parties if there isn’t some legal dagger over our heads. If someone is coming into my home I really want them to feel as if it is their home and their baby,.

In general, this has worked really worked. I have developed some wonderful relationships with people and have enjoyed watching them move forward with their lives until it is time to let them go fulfill their dreams. My first helper down in California was an immigrant and she stayed with me 12 years. Since I moved far away she still calls me. I watched her go through her last pregnancy, got to know how er family and she is now a US Citizen working for a caregiving agency for $29/hour. She and her husband drove 2000 miles to come visit me and we make a dinner together. After dinner she started mopping my floors. We all got a good laugh.

Right now I have written out a job description so someone can come in and do the job if I am not able to help. The financial agreement is strictly nonverbal. I think wher I need guidance is how to create an agreement on the interpretation of the hourly wage. If I had a timeclock and paid $9/ hour they would probably take three hours to do an hours worth of work. I have been paying $18 and most people who have been in the workforce understand that this is not a timeclock wage. I have always expected time waiting for something looking at your cellphone to not be included. Or, if something took more time than reasonable they would charge me less.

It used to be that when I looked at how much it cost to get a task done and it seems exorbinant the employee will say, “ don’t worry about it. Just pay me x”. It’s an employees market right now and we are a dime a dozen.

I have found someone wonderful but she is a single mom going through a bitter divorce with childcare problems.

Comment

So your question now is on productivity?

If you are looking for 3 hours/week, and all inside your home, can you be specific and say that in this timeframe, complete x,y,z chores? Base it on what your regular person was able to do. You can then add a caveat that some weeks, you may need assistance outside the home and then whether you may ask for more time or let the chores go?

Can you call your regular person and ask them what they think is reasonable? As for the phone, these days, alot of employers have to put up with personal use of phone. The question is what time limit is acceptable to you.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Describing this as a productivity issue is a very accurate way of looking at it. My regular girl is able to get the entire job done in 45 minutes. I have tried saying I need the basic job done in an hour. Some are able to and others simply cannot. Just recently I had a girlfriend and boyfriend 21 year old couple doing it. The girl was sharp but grossly overweight. When I watched her walk I could see that, when you are carrying around 350 pounds, you are doing the work of three people. She was huffing and puffing.

If she had been able to realize that it was taking too much time and adjusted her hours accordingly it would have been fine. But she said I was here I was working, this is the wage you said and this is what I expect. I even shaved 15 minutes off. Instead of 2 hours it will only be 1:45. But, by the way, there is a mileage charge for going to the market.

Needless to say the rest of the conversation didn’t go well and she ended up quitting.

My regular person is very happy with the $18/hour. She does it as fast a she can because she has a very busy schedule.

Right now a woman is coming who I like very much but she doesn’t want to mop the floors. She is also a single mother with a three year old and childcare problems. I never know whether she will show up or not.

Thank for all your wise suggestions and making me feel like I am not going nuts.

Comment

Hi. This is a great thread. I have no experience in this area but I have seen people in my neighbor find help by posting on the Nextdoor app. Just an idea...

Comment

Working...
                        X