Not Everythng is MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Everythng is MS

I had some symptoms that I chalked up to MS. Turns out it wasn't. So that is all I stopped in to say. 🙂 Just get things checked, because not everything is MS, even if the symptoms are identical.

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
    I had some symptoms that I chalked up to MS. Turns out it wasn't. So that is all I stopped in to say. 🙂 Just get things checked, because not everything is MS, even if the symptoms are identical.
    Thank you for this important reminder, MMMMS.

Hope all is well with you.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
      Good reminder.
      I tell myself that anything could be MS, but not everything is.
      Last edited by Mamabug; 06-24-2019, 03:05 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling typo
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I worked at the Twin Cities Assembly Plant. The summer of 92 I was hanging windows on the back of my house. next morning left hand was stiff. went to work reported it ended up with carpal tunnel surgery. Did not do any good. Diagnosed with MS 6 months later, and after that any problem I had later they always tried to blame it on MS

Comment

It is a good reminder to rule out other causes before tagging it as MS. It is so easy to just assume MS. But we may suffer when we don't need to.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Especially as we age!

I was recently diagnosed with a ganglion cyst in my leg that has likely caused intermittent numbness/paresthesia/pain in my foot for several years. I figured it was just MS until it became palpable, then worried it was a DVT and went for ultrasound.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Good reminder.
              I tell myself that anything could be MS, but not everything is.
              I've been thinking about this thread.

It's, actually, more complicated than that.

Sometimes, whether it is MS, or it isn't, is relevant. For instance, when I had a crazy-itchy scalp, I think it was MS. I hadn't been exposed to anything that seemed likely to have caused it, etc. But, I got it checked out, because it might be MS and it might not. Either way, it wasn't dangerous, so I tried to ignore it as best as I could, until it went away.

Other times, the symptom might not be MS, yet having MS put me at a higher risk of something else going wrong. I have two things like that now. One might be a bladder inflammation of some kind, perhaps IC (interstitial cystitis).

When I first had symptoms, it could have been a UTI or a kidney infection. I'm probably at higher risk for all of the above.
              Regardless, it was important to get it checked out because the possibility that it was something that needed treatment was there.

I'm currently dealing with multiple toe / toenail problems. Fungus, infection, pain, redness. Two antibiotics failed. I have an appointment with a podiatrist tomorrow.

It's not MS, but MS might put me at a higher risk.

And, still other times, it isn't either MS and MS might not have even increased the risk.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X