Asking for Temporary Accommodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for Temporary Accommodation

Hey everyone. In April my doctor emailed HR asking that I get an air conditioner and that I deploy to another site after dark as a R.A. Others deploy for safety, but I was told something "bad" has to happen or I cannot do this. The doctor mentioned the FET (artificial IVF transfer of blastocyst) and medical issues that justify my request.

I was transferred to a building with no AC and none of the windows open. It has gotten to be 88 degrees indoors. I emailed the EEOC and supplied proof of diagnosis/pregnancy and received an email from my boss that stated I was getting a fan and they were working on AC last Friday. Before this I was told I could pay $790 for AC. They also have documentation on file from my neurologist. Today, I was sent a form from HR. They denied getting the email from my doctor and asked for proof of medical diagnosis, my doctor shared the email with headers with me.

I happened to meet someone in the organization with MS who worked ten years post diagnosis. She said sometimes she would literally pass out on her desk but never used her sick time. When she asked for a reasonable accommodation, it took months and they were very belittling to her and tried to get her to quit. When I dropped off my paperwork on Monday, my boss said, "this AC in my office is really too large, I catch a chill once in a while." So I feel maybe it's starting and I just wonder if I am headed down the same stressful path. Any advice welcome.

I requested AC and got a window unit in my classroom. As long as you have dr. support and the accommodation is not an excessive cost, they have to cover it. A portable AC unit is less than 400$. My employer had a staff of 100+. If your employer is not a mom and pop operation, I doubt that they can claim that AC is too expensive. Window unit- cheap! Portable unit- reasonable.

Comment

Seems like you employee doesn't care about their employees. Keep drilling them, show no mercy. $790 bucks is nothing to a business. If it is then maybe you should start job searching anyway.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
      X