Now Foot Problems - Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Foot Problems - Anxiety

Hi MS World Friends! I am so sorry to come to all of you but I am feeling so lost and my anxiety is getting the better of me. I think some of you may understand...it isn’t just one thing but the added layers over time make it seem unmanageable. Yes, I know my MS is mild and many of you have much hard problems than I do, but unfortunately I can’t seem to cope with mine.

Basically it started over a year ago with a flare and left leg weakness. Took IVSM and kept working and running a household with teens. It finally caught up to me and I went on disability in the summer due to continue leg issues - due to stomach pain and constipation. I tried going back to work....and ended up leaving my job in December...I job I absolutely loved!! Yes, I was in denial and pushing to hard to pretend like MS “didn’t have me”. But it did. Other health issues arose...none really earth shattering but added layers that has made it hard for me to cope.

In my attempt to get my body back physically, I now have a stress fracture that happened in early May. I saw the foot doctor at the end of May and he has me wearing a boot although he said I could put on my sneakers about this time. My problem is that it just doesn’t feel any better...I am afraid he missed something or I have some permanent damage to my left foot, toes and ankle.

My dear husband assures me hat it will get better but he didn’t read the reports, the xrays or visit the doc with me. Between my leg weakness and my foot/ankle pain I feel like I am losing my ability to walk. And walking was what kept me sane!!! (After giving up running and biking.).

Intellectually I know his is just a bad season...and that most likely my foot will heal. But I don’t know how to cope with this. I don’t really expect any answers...I just feel so incredibly alone.

My daughters and husband try their best to support me...but as you all know, no one really gets MS until you have it. Since leaving my job, my social interaction has significantly shrunk....friends don’t ask about MS...ever....the just tell me how good I look when I see them...and those are the good days.

Okay...his is a big time pity party...I am sorry to dump this on you all. I just needed some friends today so I don’t feel so alone and discouraged. Thank you for listening...please infinite typos...especially the missing “t”s. Lol!! I wouldn’t have made it through this past decade with MS without all of you!! 💕💕

I'm sorry about your injuries. But, also about your anxiety. Stress and anxiety tend to play havoc with MS.

I suggest some stress management techniques.
    - yoga. If you're not able to be very active, chair yoga, yoga nidra, yoga breathing (4-7-8 by Dr. Andrew Weil) are some options that are also good for stress. You can often find yoga on YouTube.
    - mindfulness. probably also on youtube. Or just google it and see what you can find and how to do it.
    - herbal teas. Chamomile is good for stress.
    - a nice bath, especially with some essential oils in there. Like lavender, etc.
    - saying "no" when you feel too busy. To others, and even to yourself.
    - pampering yourself
    - listening to calming music
    - lots of these sleep suggestions can be stress-reducers that also work well during the day too.
    https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...11#post1520411
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi MyGirlsMom,

Sorry to hear about the stress fracture. After my diagnosis, I ramped up exercise too fast and wound up in a boot too. I understand the frustration.

Dealing now with Achilles tendonosis that won't heal. So it has forced me to cut back on exercise. And I had a pity party too - trying to do all I can to keep non-MS issues away and wham!!! Besides the physical benefits from exercise, the mental benefit kept me more focused, happier, and able to deal better. It has been two weeks and I feel it emotionally, stressing over little things.

Faith's reply was a good reminder for me to work on other methods to help with my mental health.

Hang in there, your foot will heal. Sometimes when we have too much time on our hands, our mind can wreak havoc. You are still adjusting to being on disability, so be patient with yourself.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
        In my attempt to get my body back physically, I now have a stress fracture that happened in early May. I saw the foot doctor at the end of May and he has me wearing a boot although he said I could put on my sneakers about this time. My problem is that it just doesn’t feel any better...I am afraid he missed something or I have some permanent damage to my left foot, toes and ankle.
        MGM, my heartfelt sympathies. I broke a couple toes in early April and my foot is just now starting to feel normal. But if I push too hard (walk a lot in an unsupportive shoe) it feels sore again.

I know you're confident you'll heal eventually, but here is what helped me to turn the corner: I went online and read about some physical therapy exercises to do, and did them a little bit at night every day for a week or so. That really made a difference. Once your bones have healed, they are still going to hurt because they need to learn to do what they used to do, again. This activity could take your mind off feeling bad, when you are focusing on something to get better.

I also sympathize about the "you look great" thing. I never want to hit the MS skids as badly as I did in 2018, but paradoxically that is the only thing that opens people's eyes. I don't want to be thought of as "sick."

Lastly, here's the polyanna part. There are people much worse off than us. Appreciating what we have sometimes has to happen in baby steps because everything takes work, but that work pays off.

I am rooting for you. And your foot!
        All the best, ~G

Comment

Hi MGM,

I'm so sorry to hear about your stress fracture, but don't think it's not a big deal since some of us have it worse than you because this is your journey and your pain and your stress. I think we can all understand when you mention that this is just another layer added on to all that has happened - it sometimes feel like it's tipping the scale - and not in your favor.

I had ankle surgery a few years back and my doctor told me I'd be up to par in a short amount of time with the help of PT. Well, it took way longer that he indicated and I was getting so depressed. I couldn't even walk with the boot and was wheelchair bound for 3 long months. So, I get it.

Pity parties are very much allowed here and please don't feel the need to apologize to us. just try to remember that this too shall pass. I'm hoping you will heal soon.

We are here for you as you have been there for us
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Mamabug, Pennstater, Seasha and Guarantua,

Thank you, thank you for your comments back to me! All of your comments are spot on and definitely things I need to consider...especially the little self care things. So hard to do when you feel so down and tired, both physically and emotionally. I appreciate all the ideas and truly your comments helped me feel not so alone right now.

Pennstater, I am sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation too. Yes! It is very frustrating and discouraging...my heart and prayers go out to you too. 💕 🙏🏼

This disease is tough...and it doesn’t stop...maybe slows down at times but it has been pushing me to my limits. Thank you all for your kindness and warmth!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
              This disease is tough...and it doesn’t stop...
              Isn't that the truth!
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I hope your load lightens soon!
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                  I hope your load lightens soon!
                  Thanks so much Jules!!

Comment

Working...
                  X