X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus or MS?

Hello All,

Symptoms:

March of 2018: 3 Hot pin prick sensations on top of head and arm.
    Night sweats that were soaking.

May until June: Feeling like something was coursing through bloodstream, hard to explain, chills, hot flashes like a fever but no temperature. Excess sweating during strenuous activity and longer muscle recovery after exercise or work.

Was bit by a tick on a nature trail but received Doxycycline the same day and tested negative a few times after that up to a year after for Lyme.

July until now: Burning sensation of tongue, like it's infected with something. No relation to what I eat or don't eat. Most concerning is what seems to be thinning/atrophy of leg muscles and deep bone pain in ankles. Thigh and calf muscle aching. Still some night sweats though not as bad. Fatigue that comes and goes, muscle recovery takes longer even from simple tasks like carrying a basket at grocery store. Some loss of balance, knees sometimes feel like they could give out.
    Continued weakness in legs and what seems to be muscle atrophy that is very slowly progressing but concerning.

Take usually 8 Advil and 8 Tylenol a day, plus a Turmeric Curcumin drink, Fish Oil, Vit D, Vit C, Fucoidan as it helps fight HTLV if that's what this is even...

Bloodwork
    So far bloodwork shows chronic inflammation (Sed Rate of 30 when history is 6, and CRP of 7.4) that comes and goes, low testosterone (212) taking androgel, high Globulin, and mixed hyperlipidemia / abnormal lipid values. CT Scans show no signs of Multiple Sclerosis.

Antibody and PCR checked for HIV, Hepatitis Panel, HTLV I and II, Lyme, RA Factor, CA-19 Antigen. Xrays show bones in feet and legs look ok. EMG did not detect any signal disruption between legs and brain.

Trying to now get an MRI of brain and spinal column. Trying not to lose use of my legs... Really thought this was HTLV HAM/TSP, unless it's all in my spinal column CSF fluid, but I should still have antibodies in the blood. Neurosyphyillis usually presents with a sore of some kind which I don't have.

Thanks,
    Matt

Welcome Matt.

Sorry you have been experiencing unexplained symptoms for awhile.

Unfortunately, noone here is qualified to answer your question, but you may get some insights.

What has your doctor said about your elevated inflammation markers? Any special diets you follow? Could decreased activity related to symptoms be contributing to atrophy?

I have never heard of someone using a CT scan to test for MS. Why are you resistant to MRI testing of brain and spine?

In today's medical world, MRIs are used to look for lesions that may be indicative of MS. The MacDonald criteria needs to be satisfied to obtain a diagnosis. The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has great background on this.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

MRI

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your response, yes I'm currently trying to get an MRI of the brain and the spinal column performed. Yes due to pain and honestly worry, I probably could be more active than I have been. I mean I've taken some long walks, 2 miles in michigan sand, I probably should do more daily light activities until I know what it is I'm dealing with.

I'm lactose intolerant and stay away from milk or take Lactaid. I do drink Almond milk instead. I'm Celiac negative, they tested that via colonoscopy about 5 years ago.

Mainly been doing everything I can to fight inflammation that has gone up and down since 3/2018.

Thanks,
      Matt

Comment

Hi Matt!

Sorry to hear your problem and symptoms...definitely feels scary I am sure. Just keep pushing to get the testing you need for answers. Unfortunately I don’t have any (for either you or me), but just know that this group is here for you if needed! MS is hard as we all have different symptoms and the symptoms of MS also apply to other diseases. Sigh.

Hang in there!! Send warm thoughts your way!!

Comment

I can't answer your question about virus or MS. A doctor would have to do that. Staying away from inflammatory foods is a good idea for anyone. I'm currently wheat free and dairy free and I eat very little sugar. Corn-fed meats are also good to stay away from -- stick to grass-fed, free-range, wild-caught when possible.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X