Learn More About SPMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn More About SPMS

Secondary progressive multiple sclerosis is a later stage of multiple sclerosis. Instead of having symptom relapses and remissions, a person's symptoms steadily get worse over time.

Most people, but not everyone, with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) will eventually develop secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS). Because of advances in current treatment, fewer people go on to develop SPMS than before, and it takes longer to transition to SPMS.

In this article, we provide an overview of SPMS, including its classifications, symptoms, causes, treatments, and ways to manage symptoms.

Complete article here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325441.php

Originally posted by Marco View Post
    Secondary progressive multiple sclerosis is a later stage of multiple sclerosis. Instead of having symptom relapses and remissions, a person's symptoms steadily get worse over time.

Most people, but not everyone, with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) will eventually develop secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS). Because of advances in current treatment, fewer people go on to develop SPMS than before, and it takes longer to transition to SPMS.

In this article, we provide an overview of SPMS, including its classifications, symptoms, causes, treatments, and ways to manage symptoms.

Complete article here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325441.php

Thank you, Marco for an excellent article which is clear and concise. It helps clarify definitions which can be confusing.

Thank you, my friend. You have my most sincere and heartfelt wishes for your well-being. Be strong and of good courage; you are a blessing to all of us.

Comment

I agree with Myoak . My 2 cents...and you know what that will buy ! Thanks Marco !
      Happy Fathers Day y'all !

Comment

Appreciate this thread and the article. The neuro I had before this one believed I had transitioned to SPMS. Took me off Copaxone (said it wasn't doing much good anymore and I was having side effects). This current neuro is a good doctor, but he is really not treating my MS much at all. I'm beginning to get really disappointed in all of them. And this one does not acknowledge the possibility of the possible SPMS. So I'm not sure where I am. I have never actually had a relapse in 18 years. Just constant symptoms. ???
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti
          Took me off Copaxone (said it wasn't doing much good anymore and I was having side effects). This current neuro is a good doctor, but he is really not treating my MS much at all.
          I think the stats say that Copaxone doesn't do a thing for 30% of the people taking it. (It did nothing for me.)

One doctor I respect (and who has a ton of informative videos on YouTube) strongly disagrees with the idea of taking SPMS patients off from a DMT.

Sorry to pry but I was just curious: Do you have active MS showing up on an MRI? Or just symptoms from your existing lesions?
          59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post
            I think the stats say that Copaxone doesn't do a thing for 30% of the people taking it. (It did nothing for me.)

One doctor I respect (and who has a ton of informative videos on YouTube) strongly disagrees with the idea of taking SPMS patients off from a DMT.

Sorry to pry but I was just curious: Do you have active MS showing up on an MRI? Or just symptoms from your existing lesions?

I'll have to get back to you when I find my last MRI. Can't remember.
            Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post

MR Head wo Contrast
              MRI BRAIN WITHOUT CONTRAST CLINICAL STATEMENT: Multiple sclerosis diagnosed in 2001. Dizziness and head pain. No brain surgery reported history of malignancy. COMPARISON: Comparison is made to previous brain MRI dated April 11, 2014, and August 25, 2011. TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar, multisequence MRI of the brain was performed without the administration of intravenous contrast. FINDINGS: There are no areas of restricted diffusion. Focus of susceptibility hypointensity in the right paramedian pons, stable. Previous brain MRI from August 25, 2011, shows faint corresponding enhancement. Scattered periventricular and subcortical white matter T2 hyperintensities are nonspecific, but likely represent combination of chronic microvascular ischemic disease
              and demyelination, in keeping with known diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. These are similar in distribution since prior MRI from 2014. Stable appearance of the midline posterior cerebellum with with suggestion of mild encephalomalacia and marginal FLAIR hyperintensity/gliosis. There is no acute infarction, acute hemorrhage, or or parenchymal masslike lesion on this noncontrast examination. No extra-axial blood or fluid collection is present. Ventricular size and configuration is appropriate for patient age. No hydrocephalus. No midline shift. Normal rounded morphology of the cerebellar tonsils. The cervicomedullary junction is preserved. No cerebellopontine angle masses. Gross normal flow voids are visualized within the major proximal large vessels of the anterior and posterior intracranial circulation. No suspicion of a focally destructive osseous lesion. Leftward nasal septal deviation. Mastoid air cells are predominantly aerated. Orbits are within normal limits as are the soft tissues of the nasopharynx. IMPRESSION: 1. No acute intracranial abnormality. 2. Supratentorial leukoariosis, likely combination of chronic microvascular ischemic disease and demyelination, given provided history of multiple sclerosis. These are similar in distribution since comparison MRI from 2014. 3. Small focus of magnetic susceptibility hypointensity in the right paramedian pons, stable. This may represent a capillary telangiectasia or cavernous malformation.
              Marti

Comment

Working...
              X