LDN + DMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDN + DMT

Is anyone taking LDN plus a DMT? I'm currently taking Gilenya and started LDN a few months ago. Just wondering what experiences other people are having. I am concerned because LDN is known to boost the immune system while Gilenya is suppressing it. I would like to continue with LDN because I think it's helping with fatigue (or it's in my head). Stopping Gilenya is not an option for me.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by doglover815 View Post
    Is anyone taking LDN plus a DMT? I'm currently taking Gilenya and started LDN a few months ago. Just wondering what experiences other people are having. I am concerned because LDN is known to boost the immune system while Gilenya is suppressing it. I would like to continue with LDN because I think it's helping with fatigue (or it's in my head). Stopping Gilenya is not an option for me.
    Thanks!
    Yes, my spouse takes LDN plus Ocrevus. She took LDN with Tysabri for several years prior to switching to Ocrevus.

I’m quoting Dr. Turel at Penn State… “Some patients already receiving disease-modifying therapy (DMT) when started on LDN continued the standard DMT along with adjunctive LDN. Evidence of major drug interactions was monitored but no interactions were reported.
    The medical records of 215 MS patients, aged 18 to 65 years, seen in the MS clinic for a 7-year period (January 01, 2005 to May 31, 2012) and prescribed 3.5 mg LDN, orally, once daily, served as the study group.” End Quote. Turel’s study can be found at this site in the LDN thread.

LDN does not appear to cause any major negative side effects with any of the approved MS DMTs. I cannot find in medical literature a single example of a major drug interaction between LDN and any MS DMT. Zero.

Tysabri blocks B lymphocytes from crossing the BBB. Ocrevus selectively kills B lymphocytes. Gilenya sequesters B lymphocytes in the lymph system. All three handle the same problem (in different ways) of certain B lymphocytes getting into the CNS and causing MS damage. Of course, by now everyone should know that these B-cells carry EBV. EBV appears to initiate the cascade of events which ends in MS, as many believe, including me.

LDN increases endorphins. Dr. Gironi of Italy PROVED that fact in a peer-reviewed published scientific study… http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18728058

Researchers at Penn State found that one of the increased endorphins, called Met-enkephalin, which is also called opioid growth factor (OGF), also demonstrates anti-tumor benefits. LDN reduces pro-inflammatory cytokines which has helped reduce pain in some patients, and, in some cases profoundly. Yes, endorphins tend to make us feel better!

Here is an abstract of a study published last year which helps explain some of OGF info in the above paragraph.
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10....35370217749830

Since there are zero cases of any significant interaction between LDN and a MS DMT, plus, based on years of beneficial use in my household, I would feel confidant of using it with any MS DMT, including Gilenya. But that is JMHO.

I wish you the best!

Comment

Thank you Myoak!

Thank you so much for your detailed response! I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond with such valuable information. MS World is such a great resource!

I am happy to hear your spouse is doing well on Ocrevus and LDN. It seems that many people who take LDN take it alone without a DMT so it is nice to hear your experience. Also, my doctor and I are considering making the switch to Ocrevus in the near future.

I'm only on 1mg of LDN right now so I am curious to see if my fatigue improves when I move up my dose. I know I have been sleeping better since I started it and that gives me enough motive to keep taking it since sleep has always been a problem for me.

Thanks again and I wish you and your spouse a great day. It's amazing that you are so informed on her treatment plan

Comment

Working...
      X