Stress overload result flare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stress overload result flare?

I have been on stress overload for about 3 months. Now I'm not only feeling down, but my fatigue is severe and my legs and arms are heavy. I try to work 40 hours, this slept most of Wednesday so I'm missing more work. No energy at all.

I'm confused and wonder is it a MS issue or I'm just exhausted from all the stress? ( both my elderly parents are not well and had major issues within a month of each other, and the company I work for has been changing things up). I'm just not a happy person here lately.

I don't have anyone to really talk to that understands MS, and don't want to worry my parents, they have been very good to me and their support is everything.

Just my mind is racing between am I getting worse or did I just get myself so stressed out. Just sucks cause I just can't seem to relax now.

I can attribute every one of my flares to stress. Sometimes anxiety. Sometimes physical stress (ie: horrible dental pain). Sometimes "good" stress, like anticipating an upcoming vacation).

I've found it important to practice stress management and stress reduction techniques. Mindfulness, meditation, chair yoga, listening to music, prayer, spending time with "right tribe" friends, playing piano, saying "no" to others when I need to, even saying "no" to me when I feel too busy, hiring a housekeeper, etc.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Gracie,

Stress contributes to fatigue and flare-ups in MS.

Yes, fatigue is related to both stress and MS.

It requires a great deal more energy to push impulses through a nervous system disrupted by plaques typical of MS. So some of your exhaustion is due to that very important factor. Because of MS it is taking more of your energy in doing everything you do, making you more fatigued.

Conserving energy is important. Mamabug gave great examples of techniques she uses.

Be encouraged, Gracie, many pwMS as part of their personal journey have discovered and employed methods to lower stress and manage MS as well as possible.

God bless you and best wishes!

Comment

Stress and anxiety are such enemies of MS. I'm not sure which came first.. the MS or the stress but they collide and cause so many problems.

I took care of my husband for 2 years until he passed and I've noticed that since last June my anxiety level has dropped off. I am still exhausted and having symptoms crop up, but all in all feel somewhat better.

Sam was actually very sick for the last 10 years, but the last 2 were especially difficult for both of us. So in my case it has been residual exhaustion from all the stress. By the way, I would do it all over again if I had to, but just for Sam. Of course, I will be there if my kids need me too. Hoping that never happens.

I don't have any advice. I tried everything. But time is healing me a little.

Hope things start changing for you. MS does bring on anxiety and life compounds it.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi GracieBH.

I am very sorry about the stress you are experiencing related to your parents and job. To try and alleviate some of your worry please see your Neurologist. Let your Neurologist know about what is going on in your life (stressors) and your concern about symptoms.

Although it's possible for stress to cause symptoms of MS to appear not everyone has this experience. Anxiety and stress can mimic symptoms of MS and it can be difficult to tell the difference between what is truly MS and what physical symptoms anxiety and stress are causing.

Take care
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

So sorry to hear the stress you under. It can take a toll even without MS. Add MS in, and it gets complicated.

Usually when I am stressed, I don't sleep well, which complicates the fatigue issue. I also tend to skip exercising and don't eat as healthy as I normally try to - the comfort foods call! So all the things I should do when stressed ( sleep, exercise, eat well), I don't 🙄

So while MS can cause the fatigue, many other factors may. Have you had other potential MS symptoms as well? With the stress of caring for your parents, any chance of depression? I definitely also think it is worth a call to your neuro.

One of the other things is that when I have stressful life events, I do ok and do get thru them. It is after the stress abates some, I feel it. Almost as if your body knows it has to keep pushing when a crisis happens and then when it is over - permission to crap out.

Do you normally do anything as a stress reliever? Like mindfulness, yoga, journal, take a nature stroll, crafts, etc... If not, you may want to look into something just for you.

Take care of yourself. Let us know how you are doing.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I did call Neuro and I told him I was under a lot of stress and he said in order what he wants to do a MRI of head and spine, then high dose of steroid and then DMD. I can understand what he is saying but at the same time I felt I also wasn't being heard if that makes sense. All this was over the phone and I waited a week to even hear from him.

I went off Copaxone a few years ago due to the IPIR side effects and my feelings have not changed toward them. I plan to have the MRI but I want to wait till I can get my my emotions under control. I have suffered from panic disorder brought on by stress in the past. I have anxiety and depression.

Just feel it's all too much at once and I need to step back and think about my options.

Comment

While you are trying to figure out what to do, take good care of yourself.

Eat lots of greens and other vegetables. Consider no wheat, no dairy, no sugar, no corn-fed meats. (Grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught fish instead. Or vegetarian.)

Drink water, herbal teas.
                Consider meditation, mindfulness, yoga, deep breathing, relaxing music, essential oils, etc.

Pamper yourself.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi GracieBH.

I have suffered from panic disorder brought on by stress in the past. I have anxiety and depression.
                  I am so sorry

Instead of starting with your Neurologist you might try taking a different path. Anxiety and depression can cause physical symptoms which "appear" to be MS but may not be.

Please consider seeing a Mental Health Provider (Psychiatrist and/or Psychotherapist). A Psychiatrist can prescribe medications which might be helpful for your anxiety and depression. A Psychotherapist can teach you new and helpful coping skills. Psychotherapy is not a quick fix but a process. If you work the process it can be very helpful over time.

If you are unsure about the Neurology end and what he wants to do then taking a step back is the right answer for you at this time. It appears your Mental Health is more important right now. It is possible if the anxiety and depression is properly treated symptoms might return to what is normal for you. You can always re-visit the Neurology end at a different time.

Take care
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello Again GracieBH,

I think Snoopy and others have given sound counsel that is very helpful.

If I may, I'd like to express my thoughts concerning your situation. As always, please grasp whatever may be valuable to you and let the rest go.

First, I see you as concerned you are having a flare-up of MS.

From what you describe it appears your neurologist believes you are. He has prescribed a MRI which may be helpful in providing more detail about the current activity. Also, the short course of steroids he prescribed is a standard treatment for a flare-up.

When you take steroids your body stops producing steroid hormones from the adrenal glands. So, this is why you have to be careful when using them and why you taper-down the dosing rather stopping abruptly. The reason steroids are given is to tamp down inflammation and inflammation is what is going on in the brain of someone with MS during a flare-up. The MRI would show the extent of that inflammation.

So, after the short course of steroids and MRI, then what?

The MRI will show the extent of lesion activity. It may be a bunch; it may be little. If there is a bunch of activity on your MRI your neuro will encourage you to select a DMT, or he may recommend one, or he may suggest 2 or 3 for you to consider. But please don't let him rush you into making a hasty decision.

Let's consider you.

If you are between age 50 and 60, work 40 hours a week, and have been diagnosed 10 years or more... IMO, thus far, you have had a comparatively mild course of MS. Not many people with MS nearing age 60 are still putting in a 40- hour work week, IMO.

If you are Gracie, it may be time to cut back. As much as you hate to, and perhaps can't afford to, you may have to. Otherwise the stress and fatigue may overwhelm you. And this may be one of the reasons underlying your present condition.

Plus, your elderly parents require more and more attention and effort. Changes at work have added stress, also. It is not difficult to believe you have been seriously overloaded the last 3 months in particular and the MS flare resulted. Please recognize that without the stress your body was prone to MS already. And now, in a weakened state, MS took advantage and flared.

Your neuro believes the steroids will help. I believe that they will, also. Steroids are powerfully anti-inflammatory.

For right now, for the present, if you take the short course of steroids and employ methods to lower your stress level, I'd bet a million bucks you will recover quickly.

You do not have to "sign up" for a DMT immediately even if your neuro presses you to do so. Politely mention you need time to consider the options. Of course, if your MRI shows a lot of activity, he may press hard, nothing unusual about him doing that. Just keep in mind that the MRI will improve when the flare is tamped down.

IMO, that would be the time to choose a DMT if you need to.

I have some thoughts to express about DMTs and related issues but this post is long already and I'd rather you concentrate on resolving the flare as first priority.

The way I see it is that you must lower stress, rest more, reduce activity or MS is going to reduce what you can do, anyway, without your permission and in a less healthy state.

No MS is ever good in any way but a huge positive I see about you is that you have had a relatively mild course of MS thus far compared to many. That fact allows you more room to maneuver in choosing a DMT, or even not choosing one, or in choosing alternatives.

We can talk about that next time if you like.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. May God's peace settle into your very bones. This flare will resolve and there are ways you will discover to manage MS in your life successfully. That is what this site is for.

Comment

This was me last year!

Originally posted by GracieBH View Post
                      I did call Neuro and I told him I was under a lot of stress and he said in order what he wants to do a MRI of head and spine, then high dose of steroid and then DMD. I can understand what he is saying but at the same time I felt I also wasn't being heard if that makes sense. All this was over the phone and I waited a week to even hear from him.

I went off Copaxone a few years ago due to the IPIR side effects and my feelings have not changed toward them. I plan to have the MRI but I want to wait till I can get my my emotions under control. I have suffered from panic disorder brought on by stress in the past. I have anxiety and depression.

Just feel it's all too much at once and I need to step back and think about my options.
                      Gracie, I am so very sad to read your post and to hear all that you are going through right now. Yes, stress is huge and the thing you have done that I didn’t do last year was recognize it and consider steps or action plan.

A year ago April I had a flare in my left leg where I couldn’t get up or down from sitting. It was affecting my gait and quite painful. My stress a demanding, long hours job, my mother passing away 5 months prior (and we had unresolved issues), my father in/out of hospital, husband that frequently travels for work, two teens with one graduating and choosing a college. Like you, I had stopped Copaxone about 1 - 1 1/2 years prior due to limited areas that the needle would go in (and TBH, some injection fatigue).

My MRI showed no new lesions and I did 4 days of IVSM with prednisone taper.

Looking back, I should have taken disability at that time. I tried to push through and be that MS fighter that is not giving in to the disease. Big mistake! In fact, I really wish my neuro told me to do so. My husband said that he thought my neuro what me to get there in my own terms. Should I have listened to him then?? I don’t know.

I ended up going on disability at the end of summer and had to quit my job in December. Leaving work was very, very hard for me to do. I felt like MS had won and I just wasn’t strong enough like other MS warriors I read about online. Sigh.

My advice is make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time but be sure to put yourself and health first and foremost!!

I haven’t yet selected a DMT, although I will most likely finally start Ocrevus later this summer (working on a few other health issues first). My neuro will be thrilled, to say the least! Lol!!

Again, sending big hugs your way as i understand just how hard it is when you are in the middle of it all. Just do your best to make the best decisions for YOU and take care!! Sending prayers from a friend in MS! 🙏🏼💕

PS - please keep us updated!

Comment

I just saw this study the other day. Stress in mice was shown to cause changes in the gut microbiota which resulted in an increase in t-helper cells. T-helper cells are implicated in MS as well as other autoimmune conditions. This is the first scientific evidence I've seen relating stress to MS!

If moderators permit and you want to try to wade through the study, this is it:

https://msystems.asm.org/content/4/4/e00292-18

Seems like stress reduction techniques couldn't hurt, many of which are mentioned above. And steroids might help to mitigate an active flair. The MRI may indicate if indeed you are experiencing one.

Good luck

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies, it means a lot and very appreciated. I'm still thinking over everything and working my stress.

Comment

I have decided to see a naturopathic Dr and get my mind and health in a better way. I am not ruling out going back on a DMD, but I'm going to do this first as well as a personal trainer.

I'm irritated that the Dr couldn't have at least wanted to see me and maybe put me on a dose of steriods. Telling me by phone when he finally called me back, MRI, then Steriods, then tell me what DMD you want to take, just has not set well with me. Would have been nice to have more than a 5 minute discussion on the phone.

And I am on a antidepressant for GAD and a year ago had a bout of panic disorder, works but the weight gain has been awful.

If anything I am going to do my best to make a positive change in a sucky situation.

Comment

Originally posted by GracieBH View Post
                              I have decided to see a naturopathic Dr and get my mind and health in a better way. I am not ruling out going back on a DMD, but I'm going to do this first as well as a personal trainer.

I'm irritated that the Dr couldn't have at least wanted to see me and maybe put me on a dose of steriods. Telling me by phone when he finally called me back, MRI, then Steriods, then tell me what DMD you want to take, just has not set well with me. Would have been nice to have more than a 5 minute discussion on the phone.

And I am on a antidepressant for GAD and a year ago had a bout of panic disorder, works but the weight gain has been awful.

If anything I am going to do my best to make a positive change in a sucky situation.
                              Good idea to see a naturopath.
                              I'm a pretty big believer, in recent years especially, in using a combination of natural medicine and traditional medicine.

If you're interested, check out my journey with functional medicine.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...26#post1514726

~ Faith
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X