Baclofen pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen pump

Hi I'm scheduled to have a pump put in on the 12th. I would like any thoughts and advice about it. Also on a vanity point did it make you feel weird or uncomfortable. How about clothes did it bother you?
    Did it help? Was it worth it,
    Please help!
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

Sorry on the run right now, but ...

Please consider contacting the Medtronic Ambassador program where a volunteer can spend one hour discussing their situation and answer many of your questions.

https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/pati...r-program.html

Comment

Before I got my pump I had a lot of anxiety about what it would look like.

I’m average sized, 5’8” and 145 lbs. The pump is on the right side of my abdomen just below my waist. In the beginning you could see a slight bulge on that side. It wasn’t noticeable under clothes. It seems to have settled in more over the years and is almost invisible now. If you are very very thin it might be more noticeable. The scar is about 4 inches long and is horizontal. On my lower spine is a vertical scar a couple of inches long.

The pump has two little bumps that stick out sideways. The nurse who fills mine feels for them to orient the injection site. If a waistband goes across one it will pinch, so you’ll want to watch that.

Comment

Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
        Hi I'm scheduled to have a pump put in on the 12th. I would like any thoughts and advice about it. Also on a vanity point did it make you feel weird or uncomfortable. How about clothes did it bother you?
        Did it help? Was it worth it,
        Please help!
        Hi mercenaries!

I just had my third baclofen pump implanted this past Nov. Before the pump I was on large doses of oral baclofen and zanaflex. They helped some but I was a zombie!

Now I'm not nearly as stiff as I was and it has eliminated most of my spasms. My mind is much clearer too.

As far as vanity and looks it is kind of annoying. I'm thin so the pump sticks up. It interferes with my waist band and my belts so my pants get kind of twisted and I'm always struggling to keep my pants from falling off!

All in all I guess it's worth it.
        Good luck with your new pump. I hope it helps you too.
        Let us know how it goes!

Comment

It works. Not really noticeable, scar not to bad. A slight bump. Procedure not fun, I recovered quickly. Refills a breeze. Spasticity a thing of the past. Doesn't cure MS, unfortunately. No regrets.

Comment

I absolutely love my pump! It dramatically improved my quality of life by ridding my body of a horrendous amount of spasticity. Oral baclofen didn't work near as well and also had a ton of annoying side effects.

At first the pump felt odd because it would move slightly until the area fully healed. In my head I was thinking "this is what a pregnant women feels when a baby kicked."

There are two pump sizes, 20 & 40, that have the same diameter, but the 40 is thicker.
            I have the 40 and If I wear a tight shirt you can still see a feint pump outline, but nothing I worry about. Being smaller, the 20 would be less visible, but pump refills would basically be twice as frequent (I get refills about every 5 months).

There are a number of MSWorld members that have a baclofen pump. Here's detailed information about my experience: https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...or-Marvel-Yes!

Comment

Thanks so much specially Marco! I do feel better about it and am ready now!
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Like Marco said he has the larger pump as do I. Less trips for refills. I've had a pump for 5 years.
                I actually go later this month to get my second one.

Mine sticks out for I have a thin build I just tell people I had the Minnesota Wild sign a hockey puck
                and had it implanted.

Comment

I too have a baclofen pump and am very happy with it, it was the best thing I ever did for my MS to relieve my spasticity and pain. I have the smaller size pump and my doctor orders a stronger dose of a baclofen for my refills. The stronger dose allows me to go a longer duration of time between refills. For me there is no difference on the frequency of refills whether I have the smaller size pump or not. Note your dosage will be a factor that dictates the frequency of your refills.

Comment

Meant to say, my doctor refills for a smaller size with a stronger concentration of baclofen. This eliminates the need for frequent refills.

Comment

Going tomorrow morning wish me luck! Also any other thoughts or advise?
                      DIAGNOSED=2012
                      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

mercadies

I don't have a pump, but wishing you good luck tomorrow!

Hope you have great results!

Take Care
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I also don't have a pump. I don't know much about them. My brother is a Type I diabetic and has a pump for his insulin. He really likes it, as compared to injections.
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hope all went smoothly and you are feeling well.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks y'all in a whole lot of different pain but hoping and result worth it.
                              DIAGNOSED=2012
                              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Working...
                              X