Mediport Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediport Questions...

Hello everyone... I've been looking and researching this one question about mediports.
    I have had mine in since 2006. I wanted if anyone else has one or had one how long did you have it in. What's the longest a mediport can stay in?

I don't think there is an exact answer to your question but, wow, your port has been in for a really long time!! My surgeon says they are good for about 6-7 years or 1000 pokes. One of the nurses at my Infusion Center said she had a patient that had forgotten about his port. It had not been flushed or accessed for 10 year but worked like a dream, amazingly.

I had my first port from 2011-2018 and then it stopped working. My port had definitely hit the 1000 poke quota as it is used a lot. It was replaced with a more sophisticated Power Port that can be used for apheresis or plasmapheresis.

I guess you should have a discussion with your surgeon to see what they think. Is it still working well?

Comment

Yes it still works really good and I have a nurse come out once a month to flush it and I still get treatments for my devic's(NMO) through it... I was just curious to know if anyone had theirs as long as I have...

Comment

Working...
      X