Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible Cramping in Hands, Feet and Calves. Is this a MS Symptom??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Cramping in Hands, Feet and Calves. Is this a MS Symptom??

Hi,

I have started having terrible, painful cramps in my hands, feet, toes and the back of my calves. Is this a possible MS symptom or something else? Has anyone else experienced this?

I worried that I could be relapsing as my legs have been heavy and my foot drop worse than my baseline. I fell today while leaving work and there was nothing in my path that caused it. My right foot just didn't clear the concrete and it caused me to go down. I am getting my next doses of Rituximab next Friday. It has been 6.5 months since my initial dose.

Thanks, Polopuppy

Hi polopuppy.

I have started having terrible, painful cramps in my hands, feet, toes and the back of my calves.
    This certainly sounds like Spasticity. Treatment can include muscle relaxers, gentle stretching, Physical Therapy and/or Massage Therapy. Please speak with your Neurologist for the best way to treat your Spasticity.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes, I experience this and have been for quite some time. I do yoga and stretching and it helps.
      Sorry about your fall. Hope you didn't get hurt badly.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
        Hi,

I have started having terrible, painful cramps in my hands, feet, toes and the back of my calves. Is this a possible MS symptom or something else? Has anyone else experienced this?

I worried that I could be relapsing as my legs have been heavy and my foot drop worse than my baseline. I fell today while leaving work and there was nothing in my path that caused it. My right foot just didn't clear the concrete and it caused me to go down. I am getting my next doses of Rituximab next Friday. It has been 6.5 months since my initial dose.

Thanks, Polopuppy
        Hi Polopuppy

Sorry to learn that you've been experiencing an increase in symptoms.

Some things to consider, that can bring on pseudo relapse symptoms: is it possible that you could have a bladder infection? or fatigue from overactivity, extra stress? a virus or respiratory infection? any other infection?

I've had increase of symptoms due to virus/respiratory infections, which went away when I recovered.

I do get spasms in my feet, but mostly from a sensory trigger (for instance, when they touch something cold like the metal leg of my shower chair, or cold bathtub ledge).

I will get spasms/cramps in my calves, but not often.

I've never experienced multiple cramping/spasm areas at the same time.

In any case, good luck with your next infusion, and hoping for you that your symptoms do subside.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for all your kind replies.

To Snoopy: I did think about spasticity but the description online didn't really seem to fit. I don't think my neurologist has ever identified any spasticity during my exams but I guess there is a first for everything. I have sent him a message to let him know what is going on.

To Seasha: No, I didn't get hurt too badly. My pride and my knee caps took the worst of it. I'm a bit scrapped up but nothing terrible. I am trying to stretch when the cramps start but some movements seem to worsen the cramps. I will jump into the hot tub this evening to see if that helps and have increased my magnesium Calm dose.

To Koko: I guess I would have to say yes to the possibility this is a pseudo-flare and I didn't even think of that. I don't believe I am sick since I finally started to feel better this last weekend. I did make it to Maui and only returned on Sunday evening. Work has been busy and stressful since I came home. I was on my feet the entire 8 hours these last three shifts. Now I have a 3 day weekend so I will try to rest up. Fingers crossed that this goes away fast.

Have a great weekend and Happy Memorial Day!

Comment

Now I have a 3 day weekend so I will try to rest up.
            Good for you, Polopuppy.

Have a great weekend and Happy Memorial Day!
            And to you also!
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi polopuppy

To Snoopy: I did think about spasticity but the description online didn't really seem to fit. I don't think my neurologist has ever identified any spasticity during my exams but I guess there is a first for everything. I have sent him a message to let him know what is going on.
              Well, there was a time I would not have thought spasticity would fit your description but thoughts can change

Due to spasticity and nerve damage I have muscle spasms in my feet and toes. My left foot is the worst but both my feet are referred to as deformed by an Podiatrist. My toes, specifically my big toe and the one next to it have moved together creating pain when walking. I do have a toe spacer but sometimes it cause more pain...and sometimes it doesn't. All of my toes on that foot have shortened tendons due to spasticity.

Spasticity in calves can affect the muscles for the foot which can cause planter fasciitis. This is also something that I have. I have custom Orthotics for both feet.

My husband as well as myself massage my feet and toes multiple times a day, I also to stretching exercises. I need reconstruction surgery for my feet but I am not a candidate for this surgery due to the cause...MS. This has been the same answer by to Podiatrists.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Well, there was a time I would not have thought spasticity would fit your description but thoughts can change
                The word should be "wouldn't" fit. Good grief
                Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Hi Snoopy,

I am sorry that spasticity has caused so many issues for you. I can see how the initial symptoms can lead to so many other complications. My calf muscles in my right leg are already tight with contractures from foot drop. My left foot is the worst one, too but both calves are affected.

I did some massage last night and went to water aerobics this morning hoping it would help. It seems a little better today. I will have to wait for my neuro to get to back to me with his suggestions. Sleeping has been more difficult with the cramping. These cramps really remind me of the growing pains I used to get in my legs as a child. Ouch!

Comment

You could try some supplements from a health food store -- better than a grocery store or Walmart.
                    - B Complex, 3x/day
                    - Magnesium. I always take a magnesium / calcium combination so they stay in balance.
                    - I've also read that Zinc helps.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Leg cramps

hi,
                      I have RRMS, I have been stable for 10 years. Although having some new symptoms that my Neuro doesnt think are significant enough to warrant teeatment.
                      Recently, the past few months I started having leg cramps from the knee down. The majority of the cramps..more like charlie horse cramps.. in my feet. Slight foot drop, and crampy pain behind my knees and calfs. I also have Restless leg at night really bad. it drives me crazy. I will have to see what my Neuro says.

Comment

Thanks, Mamabug.

I do take Mag. and B Complex vitamins but not sure if they help or not. My cardiologist discovered that my potassium is low so I started replacement therapy for that since it can affect muscles.

My neurologist has decided after a good work up that I do have spasticity. I have been on a trial of Baclofen for 2 weeks. It has helped a little so I am going to try a higher dose. She also prescribed Valium but I'm not sure I want to go there

All the best and thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Comment

Hi Couponlady,

Yes, you symptoms sound very similar to mine but my hands and arms are also affected. The stiffness has been really severe, too. I am trialing and hope it helps. I have foot drop in my right foot but that has been around since 2011.

I hope your neurologist offers you some treatment options. Mine did after I emphasized that I couldn't sleep, was having trouble dressing and walking.

Comment

Working...
                          X