Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone found a cure that will take away fatigue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
    IMO, the first thing to try for fatigue is Vitamin B12.

That said, it does not cost much to try something like Jarrow's Methyl B-12 1000mcg combined in the same tab with Methyl Folate 400mcg.

B-12 deficiency can cause problems, including fatigue. Excess B-12 is piddled out so there is not much concern about overdoing it.

IMO, oral methyl B-12 is worth a first try.

I'm sure there are several companies with products similar to the one I mentioned.
    Yes. I use:
    Natural Factors, Chewable Vitamin B12 Methylcobalamin 5000 mcg.

I start with one every morning and one B Complex.
    My doctor says I can take more during the day if I'm fatigued but I usually don't think about it.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I just glanced through the threads and this one popped out at me. It wasn’t for its content. It was because the person who started it couldn’t even spell fatigue. I thought, ‘that’s the most disastrous spelling error I’ve seen in a long time. What is wrong with our school system? No one is learning how to spell!’

I had to see who this person was so I looked at who had started it. OMG!!! It was me. My eyesight isn’t like it used to be so I missed the typo but, guys, if I do that again do not hesitate to correct me. I don’t want to exacerbate the spelling handicap that has gone viral throughout the English speaking world since the invention of spellcheck software and autocorrect.

On another topic, I really appreciate your responses. The reason I brought up such a common symptom was to inform newly diagnosed and send the message that I want more from the pharmaceutical industry than to promise to slow the effects of the disease.

I view my fatigue(fatugue) as a sign that the disease is raging through my system and think that if we aim to find the roots of the fatigue we might come closer to a cure for MS. The belief that MS is caused by the Epstein Barr virus seems to just underline this hunch. (The Epstein Barr virus used to be referred to as the chronic fatigue syndrome).

Comment

Blood work good, no vitamin deficiencies. I tried amantadine, nothing. Provigil worked until it didn't. What has helped me the most is exercise.

It is such a catch-22 in the beginning - how to exercise when fatigue is crushing and symptoms exacerbated by the fatigue. But I started small, 100 yards, and each week upped it a little. I am now at the point I feel more tired if I don't exercise. After a year, I can walk 3 miles on a good day. Have weakness and foot drop if I push past that. Some days, I use hiking poles to help with balance.

I know walking is not an option for everyone, but maybe you can find other exercise that may help.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
          I just glanced through the threads and this one popped out at me. It wasn’t for its content. It was because the person who started it couldn’t even spell fatigue. I thought, ‘that’s the most disastrous spelling error I’ve seen in a long time. What is wrong with our school system? No one is learning how to spell!’

I had to see who this person was so I looked at who had started it. OMG!!! It was me.
          Lol!

You spelled it correctly in the rest of your post. It was just a typo; U and I are beside each other on the keyboard. Not someone who didn't know how to spell.

I corrected it for you.

(Actually, spell check causes me problems more frequently than it helps. Autocorrect thinks it knows what I want to say and changes my words. I'm generally a good speller.)
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyerFan View Post
            Vitamin B-12 Injections subcutaneous 1 ml monthly. Works wonders for me. Oral supplements don't work at all for me.
            Hi Bob do you have these done in a clinic?
            All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Lol!

You spelled it correctly in the rest of your post. It was just a typo; U and I are beside each other on the keyboard. Not someone who didn't know how to spell.

I corrected it for you.

(Actually, spell check causes me problems more frequently than it helps. Autocorrect thinks it knows what I want to say and changes my words. I'm generally a good speller.)
              Thank you! It looks a lot better now. I agree that autocorrect sometimes impedes our writing. Even in the New York Times and Washington Post I see errors that were obviously a result of autocorrect.

I am going to try the B12. I have some and have to remember to take them when I eat so they don’t make me sick. It could be that I am suffering a deficiency.

If there are any dramatic results I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                I am going to try the B12.
                Hope it helps. I encourage you to be sure it's a Methyl B12, as Myoak suggested.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

B12 Injection

Hey ~G,
                  Definitely give it a try-it helps! It is a self administered medication prescribed by your doctor under the name "cyanocobalamin". You will also need subcutaneous syringes. It is very easy. I go back to the days of Avonex(my 1st med) and that was a Hornet Sting deep muscle...This type of syringe you don't even feel it...hopefully it will help you.
                  Bob
                  dx 2000...Avonex 2000...
                  started Ty 2006 stopped Ty 2008

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by FlyerFan View Post
                    Hey ~G,
                    Definitely give it a try-it helps! It is a self administered medication prescribed by your doctor under the name "cyanocobalamin". You will also need subcutaneous syringes. It is very easy. I go back to the days of Avonex(my 1st med) and that was a Hornet Sting deep muscle...This type of syringe you don't even feel it...hopefully it will help you.
                    Thank you for this information. Right now I have a few broken toes and a subluxated rib (can I blame them on MS?) and feel the difference from being less active. This could help.

Also wondering if a high potency B vitamin taken orally could be somewhat as effective.
                    All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
                      Also wondering if a high potency B vitamin taken orally could be somewhat as effective.
                      I'd start by trying that.

If it doesn't work, even after you increase your dosage and frequency, an injection might be more effective.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I was searching threads because I have a doctors appointment Friday and I was thinking about asking for provigil. I have tried for a couple years to avoid medication for fatigue but it has gotten to the point where I have to do something. I drive A LOT for work and am starting to get worried about safety because of the extreme fatigue.

I currently work 40+ a week and to get through a day I slam about 1000mg of caffeine I also take 2500mcg sublingual B12 a day. For the past year I have been increasing both caffeine and B12 I was at 500mg caffeine and 1000mcg B12 that was good for about a year. Then I doubled the B12 and was good for a few months and for the past 6 months I have been increasing the caffeine to where I am starting to worry about the amount I use in a day. I have also been a smoker (nicotine is a stimulant)

About a month ago I quit smoking and started using the patch when I went down to the 14mg patch (stage 2) I noticed the fatigue got WAY worse to the point even with the caffeine and B12 I am still about to pass out by 1-2PM. I sleep 7-8 hours a night and I used to walk a bit over a mile a day (not counting the 2-3 miles I walk for work) for the past month the walking has gone by the wayside because I get home from work and just collapse on the couch till I can drag my butt to bed.

So not sure if provigil will help me or not but I have to try something else.
                        Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
                        X