Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is MS caused by one-two punch of pinworm and Epstein-Barr virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is MS caused by one-two punch of pinworm and Epstein-Barr virus?

I haven't been able to find any more recent information about the possible theory of the EBV and pinworm causing MS, but this 2018 article was reported from the ACTRIMS Forum 2018. There has already been discussion about EBV here, but wondered if anyone has more information about pinworm and connecting the dots?

"The theory identifies pinworm as the prime suspect to be the “missing link” that explains why EBV and MS are so tightly connected, said Patrick Kearns, MBChB, a graduate student at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston.

Dr. Kearns is the lead author of two reports about the possible role of pinworm that were presented at ACTRIMS Forum 2018, which is held by the Americas Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis."

https://www.mdedge.com/clinicalneuro...rm-and-epstein

I had both mono (EBV) as an older teen and pinworm as a child. Hmmmm
    Anyway, this is an interesting theory
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Gee Seasha,
    This is the first mention of pinworm that I've heard, but that isn't saying much. You may have something there. I wonder what would happen if I was tested for EBV and, if positive, as I assume is the case, my doctor would treat me with drugs to eliminate the virus . Would my condition, vis a vis MS, improve noticeably ?

Comment

An older 2014 study from the NIH, the conclusion reads:

"Given the rapidly accumulating evidence for a role of EBV in the pathogenesis of MS, there is ground for optimism that it might be possible to prevent and cure MS by effectively controlling EBV infection. Strategies to control EBV infection include vaccination against EBV, antiviral drugs and adoptive immunotherapy with EBV-specific cytotoxic CD8+ T cells."

It's a long read, but if interested- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4237030/

Also from NIH, here is a 2018 article Could antiretrovirals be treating EBV in MS? A case report

The report is of one 24 year old MS patient benefiting from Combivir (an antiviral drug to treat HIV)
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6100748/
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

This discussion boils down to reveal the truth about treating MS... doctors are 'practicing' medicine !
        Good luck

Comment

Mono!?

This is just my personal viewpoint! When I was a senior in high-school I got a very bad case of mononucleosis. Both me and my girlfriend at the time, that I got it from were in rough shape. I totally feel the exact same fatigue & hollow feeling from mono back then that I feel from MS. I have asked many of my dr's along the way and they do not agree there is a connection. I personally feel there Totally IS! a connection...just my opinion.
          Bob
          dx 2000...Avonex 2000...
          started Ty 2006 stopped Ty 2008

Comment

Working...
          X