Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS AND HHV-6?

Hello,
    Was just diagnosed four months ago with multiple sclerosis at 20 years old. Also discovered I had a hhv-6 reactivation (roseola virus when your a child) as well which is somewhat linked to MS. Havent found a single person that can relate to both of these diagnoses and share their experience dealing with both. Please respond if you can relate.

Hello,

I cannot relate directly, however, you are correct that there may be a connection between MS and HHV-6, or other viruses in the group which HHV-6 is a part of.

There is a good deal of info about viruses and MS in the Charcot Project thread found under the Medications & Treatment forum and then click New Treatments, Trials, and Research to find the Charcot Project thread.

Also, I'm going to include a link to another MS site... https://multiple-sclerosis-research.org/ for you to check out. You can enter HHV-6 in their search box.

Plus, you may want to click, "I've Just Been Diagnosed" at the very top right of the home page.

I'm so sorry about your MS diagnosis. But please know you can make a huge, huge difference in the outcome of MS in your life by what you learn from leading sources. You are definitely starting out correctly by acquiring knowledge at this juncture.

Best Wishes!

Comment

I didn't realize there was a connection but I had roseola as a child.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

IS HHV-6 VIRUS RELATED TO MS OR NOT? DOES VIRAL REACTIVATION TRIGGER RELAPSES?

https://multiple-sclerosis-research....gger-relapses/

“The study below raises interesting issue in relation to infection and MS. You should be aware by now that infections, both viral and bacterial, are a potent trigger of relapses. A third of relapses are preceded by symptomatic infections.

We always assume that these infections need to be symptomatic, but why? A large number of viruses remain latent in our bodies and periodically reactivate, this is typical for members of the herpes family of viruses, in particular Epstein-Barr (EBV), cytomegalovirus (CMV) and human-herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6).

Most of the time when these viruses reactivate, they don’t cause symptoms. However, when they do reactivate, they boost the immune systems responses, either the amount of antibody that binds to viral proteins or the T-cell responses to the virus.

The study below suggests that this may be happening with HHV-6; before relapses the titer of antibody to the virus increases indicating that it HHV-6 had reactivated prior to the relapse, stimulating the immune system to produce higher levels of antibodies.

This was quite a large study and hence not all MSers would necessarily have contributed to the positive results. What I am trying to say is that it may not necessarily be HHV-6 triggering relapses in all subjects; in some subjects it could possibly be EBV, and in others influenzae. An interesting aspect of this study is that they linked the rising titer or level of antibody to DMT response; whether the link with DMT response is causal or simply an association needs to be looked at in future studies.”

“This study may have therapeutic implications, i.e. suppressing viral reactivation may works as DMT, hence the search for better and safer antiviral therapies. The earlier trials of the anti-herpes drug acyclovir were negative in MS, but this drug, and its derivative valacyclovir, are not really effective against most of the herpes viruses including HHV-6. Therefore, I think it is time we go back to the funding agencies with our proposal to test a drug that targets EBV and other herpes viruses in MS.”

Anti-human herpesvirus 6A/B IgG correlates with relapses and progression in multiple sclerosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25110949

Comment

Working...
        X