How many lesions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many lesions?

I have CIS and recently had another brain MRI to establish a new baseline since starting Copaxone. Thankfully, my MRI was stable (no changes), but this is the first time they listed the number of lesions on the report that I could see. The radiologist said "about 20 lesions" but still described it as a "mild burden." None of them were enhancing this time at least. Is it just me, or does this sound like a lot? Does anyone else feel comfortable sharing how many they have? Is it more about size/placement? They are lesions indicative of MS.

Thanks!

Hi ElemteacherPK6

Lesion load is different for each person. Some can have very few lesions with more disability/symptoms, some have quite a few lesions with minimal symptoms/disabilities, and some fall in between. Brain lesions are less symptomatic than spinal cord lesion.

Try not to stress over lesion load as it is not uncommon for lesions to disappear. In my case; after 35 years I (still) have a very countable 2 brain lesions. MS tends to like my spinal cord. At one point my c-spine had to many lesions to count, two years later I had a very countable 3 with one lesion on the Thoracic spinal cord.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have 21 lesions.I think the location is a big factor.Im in a wc the last 4 year I could tell I’ve been slowly declining.I imagine size is important too.

Comment

I'm also on Copaxone with "multiple lesions" that show on my brain and are too numerous to accurately count. My MRIs are considered stable and I only have minimal symptoms/progression after 15 years.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I had between 12-20 or so. Some are so close together that it's impossible to count them accurately. They are small.

Everyone else said that size and location in the brain makes a difference, and I agree with that. But I wouldn't be surprised if two patients have nearly identical lesions and very different ability & symptoms.

It seems that doctors come in two main kinds -counters and non-counters. My docs have been non-counters. There were enough lesions to make the diagnosis, and the changes have been very slight over the years. So maybe now I have 13, or maybe it's 21. The non-counters aren't as concerned with the actual number as they are with changes.

Comment

1 lesion

One large lesion on my brain stem (pons) caused me a lot of problems (motor, vision, tinnitus, crazy fatigue, numbness plus more) I was hospitalized for weeks and on solumedrol.

Wheelchair to walker then cane.
              recovered to almost %98 and running, hiking, weightlifting, doing it all.

the lesion was 1.2 cm and in a terrible spot. Hopefully never again.

tecfidera is keeping me stable
              hopefully for a very long time

Comment

Working...
              X