The heat is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The heat is on

Ugh. Is anyone else experiencing heat-related symptoms already?

After spending time outside, I'm left with blurry vision and rubber legs. I can still walk OK, but my kiddy up is gone. The legs just aren't answering.

I dread the summer.

I am sorry that you are already experiencing heat related difficulties. I have had only mild issues thus far.

In Austin, we hit 91 in February and I hoped that wasn't an omen of things to come this summer. Fortunately, we've had a mild spring, but we're about to see 90+ degree temperatures from June through September.

I too struggle with heat intolerance and carry a portable fan and battery pack with me year round. I do have cooling gear to wear, but avoiding the heat is better than enduring it.
    During the summer my schedule is abbreviated as I avoid the 100° days. I limit myself to a single morning outing and avoid all but essential activities. I spend the days sitting in the AC in of a fan.

Do you have cooling gear? Both MSAA and MSFocus have a cooling gear program if you meet income requirements.

I wish you well...

Comment

I tried a best. It didn't seem to make a difference. Well, I was sweater under the vest. 🙂

Originally posted by Marco View Post
      I am sorry that you are already experiencing heat related difficulties. I have had only mild issues thus far.

In Austin, we hit 91 in February and I hoped that wasn't an omen of things to come this summer. Fortunately, we've had a mild spring, but we're about to see 90+ degree temperatures from June through September.

I too struggle with heat intolerance and carry a portable fan and battery pack with me year round. I do have cooling gear to wear, but avoiding the heat is better than enduring it.
      During the summer my schedule is abbreviated as I avoid the 100° days. I limit myself to a single morning outing and avoid all but essential activities. I spend the days sitting in the AC in of a fan.

Do you have cooling gear? Both MSAA and MSFocus have a cooling gear program if you meet income requirements.

I wish you well...

Comment

The heat is such a giant factor with MS. I moved across the country in search of cool weather. I believe it is a major factor in migration northwards. Canada is now experiencing a border crisis.

What is strange is that my body knows when it’s hot even if I’m in a room with freezing air is blowing on me. The radiant heat is what affects us. We had a couple of weeks of hot weather and now it is cold and rainy. But it doesn’t fool my body. It knows what time of year it is. I don’t ever feel better until the days start getting shorter after June 21. This is all so much more complicated that temperature measurement.

One tiny thing that has given me relief is a mechanical mattress cooler. It freezes water and the cold water runs through tiny tubes inside a mattress pad. You can make it any temperature you want and even can make it hot to sooth those cramping muscles in the winter. It’s expensive. I think it should be paid for by insurance but it is not. I would give you the name of the company but it might be perceived as advertising. It costs $499.00 to give you a guideline. For me, it pays for itself. I can sleep without freezing air blowing on me and the electric bill is greatly decreased all year round.

Since we can’t do anything about the weather I just thought I would offer a tiny morsel of hope that there is something we can do to take care of ourselves.

Comment

Already in the 90's

I get so frustrated when we hit summer. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. I have things I need to do on the weekends, but I can't go out outside. It saps my energy. Eyes have been blurry, spacticity has started in my left leg (might be time for the cane, my summer accessory). The heat is the hardest thing I deal with every year. Hope everyone is getting some relief.

Comment

Needless to say I spend a lot of time trying to figure out ways to combat hot weather. My favorite is to build a house with canals running through it. To get around we just walk on bridges, Trees make a tremendous difference in keeping your house cool, whether they are just giant old oaks surrounding the house or inside. if there is a nice yard covered with trees it can make it a pleasant place to go sit outside in the afternoons if a breeze i blowing. It’s much better to have a nice garden than a concrete or asphalt surface which heats everything up. If you spray water on the plants in the garden with the hose, the air will feel fresh and cool as the breeze blows.

One thing very important it’s to limit windows on the south and west side. Much to my property managers chagrin I block off all south and west windows with aluminum foil. Skylights are out of the question.
            If you live in an apartment complex choosing a ground floor apartment is cooler. This is advice I didn’t follow.

But my favorite idea is house swapping in the Southern Hemisphere. Since there are still plenty of people who LOVE warm weather they can come up and enjoy our sommers and we can go down to delicious cold white powder gently falling from the sky.
            Have never seriously looked into it but there might be some opportunities to go to Australia, New Zealand, Chile or Argentina or wherever.

Comment

It’s me again. This week has been really humid and oppressive. Yesterday, my air conditioner started sounding funny. I took it apart and found there was a huge block of ice inside. Now the fan sounds like the whole unit it’s breaking down.

I live in a relatively remote area. I looked at the local stores and it takes a week for them to arrive. Right now that little box in the window is the difference between life and death for me. I am really really scared.

Right now I am asking you to pray for me.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                It’s me again. This week has been really humid and oppressive. Yesterday, my air conditioner started sounding funny. I took it apart and found there was a huge block of ice inside. Now the fan sounds like the whole unit it’s breaking down.

I live in a relatively remote area. I looked at the local stores and it takes a week for them to arrive. Right now that little box in the window is the difference between life and death for me. I am really really scared.

Right now I am asking you to pray for me.
                Hi palmtree

Sorry that you've been dealing with oppressive heat and humidity - not good for those of us with MS heat intolerance issues.

Regarding your failing A/C, isn't your apartment manager responsible for fixing or replacing it?

At my complex, A/C malfunction is considered an emergency in which the maintenance workers must respond to, even on a weekend.

Take Care
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                X