Weightloss Checkin Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group

I'm going to leave this as a Sticky here in The Wellness Room. I'll just allow it to be a running thread, sort of like I have started to do with the Gratitude thread, rather than beginning a new weekly thread each week.

Karen is still out; we haven't heard from her. We were expecting her back about the beginning of May. We miss her! When Karen returns, we can begin to run it as a weekly thread again.

This was posted on 3/21/19:
    Hi everyone, Karen had a bad fall and broke her leg. She is doing okay, but is in a rehabilitation facility for another 6 weeks and maybe a little longer. Keep working on the weight loss goals.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Still at 113, and so no change.

This article from Science Alert (May 19), about studies done in 2016, came to my attention. It challenges the BMI as a valid index for health:

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-hea...ge-study-finds

I'd like to know what others think. The BMI has been the gold standard for a long time, and now we're being told (by the Journal of the American Medical Association) something quite different.
    MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Recent weights:
      05/09/18: 123.0 lbs (BMI 22.3)
      05/23/18: 123.8 lbs (BMI )
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
        Still at 113, and so no change.

This article from Science Alert (May 19), about studies done in 2016, came to my attention. It challenges the BMI as a valid index for health:

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-hea...ge-study-finds

I'd like to know what others think. The BMI has been the gold standard for a long time, and now we're being told (by the Journal of the American Medical Association) something quite different.
        Thanks for sharing.

I didn't read the whole article, but, there are some known flaws with using the BMI as the only index for weight. The problem that I'm aware of is the muscle weighs more than fat. As one increases their muscle, their BMI also increases, making it appear that they are less healthy, rather than more healthy.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Still at 113.

Comment

I'm at 124.0
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Still at 113 but it's now 113.0 instead of 113.5.

Comment

Hi everyone, I am back. I am now living in a center for people with chronic conditions. My broken leg has not healed yet and combined with my MS it is catastrophic. I cannot walk even with my walker. My legs are too weak. My physical therapist believes I will walk again and I hope she is right.

The really bad news is that I have gained a ton of weight and at the last weighing weighed 125 pounds,20 more pounds than my goal and usual weight of 115. I was going to bring my old scale here and then it dawned on me that I can't stand on it! I'll have to try to use the scale here again.

I will plan on starting this post week.

Very best wishes to all.
                karen

Comment

Karen!
                  Welcome back! I'm sorry for your long recovery, your decline in abilities, your weight gain, etc. I guess we just have to "get back on the horse" when that happens.

Although I sort of tried to keep your weight loss thread going, I confess that it languished under my less diligent care.

Eventually, I quit running it as a weekly thread, and just left it as a continuous running sticky. I'll be on vacation beginning next week. Seasha will be able to post it for you as a weekly Sticky again. I'm glad you plan to pick it up again.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Mamabug, i am grateful for any help you could give. I am just sorry for being without a computer for so long. I made an error in my initial notice of my return. I said my weight was 125 pounds when it was 135 pounds. I would like to resume our weekly blog next Thursday. I just hope everyone comes back. Karen

Comment

Nice to see you back!

I'm so sorry you've been having all of this trouble. Hope you're on the mend.

Comment

Originally posted by ShrinkKaren View Post
                        I would like to resume our weekly blog next Thursday. I just hope everyone comes back. Karen
                        I hope so too!

Would it help for me, or you, to post on the General Board to say you're back and will resume the regular weekly Weightloss check in thread? We could also invite newcomers to join us.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I would think or hope that announcing that I was back would help. At least it shouldn't hurt. I would like to begin again next week. I need the support!!! I hope all are doing as well as you and agate. Mamabug. Best wishes, Karen

Comment

Hi Everyone. I am back after a long odyssey. I am currently residing in a residence for people with chronic problems. My leg has not completely healed from the femoral fracture. But my fingers are working so I will try to send a weekly blog. I have to go to an exercise group right now so will work o this later. Karen

Comment

Thanks, Karen.

I also posted this, with an invitation to join, on our General Board for more to see.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...95#post1520595
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X