Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venting re how to face lack of ablities /need advice of coping stratgies??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkforrest View Post
    Perhaps I did not ask the correct question last time. I actually meant those that that lost the ability to walk without a cane at all times or walker on in wheelchair. How did/do they defeat the "I'm not able to do that anymore" feelings?

I guess I am feeling that if it really was from MS/Lost limb or other I would just accept it however because it's something no one can see or know but me it's like the invisible disease you know but "you look so good"!!!!!

Will share next wk if it actually helps.
    Yeah. I guess I haven't been through that -- losing the ability to walk without a cane. But, it seems to me that, if we're using a mobility device of any kind (cane, walker, W/C), that we no longer "look so good". At that point, it becomes obvious that something is wrong. That's, actually, one of the benefits of using a cane for me. Now, when I walk awkwardly, I don't look drunk; I simply look like I have a disability. It's no longer invisible.

For me, the bigger issue is what I am now unable to do. Like kick w soccer ball with my grandson. Go for a bike ride. I even feel somewhat anxious babysitting alone.

I don't really care what people think. People are mostly nice, helpful and courteous.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
    X