Frustrated - misplaced key docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated - misplaced key docs

I have had a lot going on, but I can't blame it on that. I misplaced our will. We are traveling Monday for 2 weeks and my husband pointed out that it is with my brother, who is our executor. I thought we named a back-up, he didn't. So I was going to check.

This was of course after I spent a day searching for my travel folder that has our printed plane tickets, itinerary, hotel reservations, prebooked Tix for tourist sites, passports, etc...Thankfully, found that.

I had a meltdown though. How can I misplace such important docs. Why not in our safe? Or at least filed? This is what scares me the most with MS - my ability to organize paper and digital files. This is part of what led me to disability. Part of my organizational issue is that I would classify things differently. So as an example, did I put the will with financial docs, or maybe legal, or maybe estate planning? But even after checking all 3 both paper and digital, nada.

I know I can call the attorney's office and get a copy. But so frustrated with myself.

Anyone else struggle with organization? How do you handle?

Thanks
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Sorry you're going through this. Pre-travel is always a bit hectic even without the enhancement of MS. Do you think you get more panicky in situations like this, adding to the confusion? That is definitely something I experience. I try to stay calm when I feel chaos brewing.

Thinking something is very well-organized, but then later having a hard time navigating to it later is distressing. I force more self-organization, but that has not prevented me from some misjudgements in personal projects and other important matters.

The good part is that you do have a copy of your Will. I hope you can rest easy once it's located, and
    I hope you have a great time wherever you're headed!
    All the best, ~G

Comment

Some have used a safe deposit box....? not really a good choice.

Comment

Sorry, Kathy, to have this stress added to your life - You just came out of a stressful time with packing up stuff for the house painters - no wonder you're feeling a bit of confusion!

We have our original will (both paper and digital) in a safe deposit box with a back up of both at home with clear instructions for our children in a place that all know where to find them.

Your story reminds me of after my mom passed away 1 1/2 years ago. With me being the only female dependent, she was very clear about all her expensive jewelry (diamonds and gold) would go to me. I put them in a safe hidden place. Months later, I went to look for them and for the life of me, I couldn't remember where I hid them! I cried and felt so much frustration that these precious belonging that my mom had entrusted to me were lost!

Long story - I eventually found them, but UGH!

Hope you have a really relaxing and fun vacation!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks G, Jer, and Seasha. Still missing, but confirmed have a back up executor. That made me feel better - at least memory was right. So instead of will, backup knows what law office to go to if needed.

Seasha - had to laugh. I am always putting stuff in a safe place only to lose the safe place! My husband doesn't understand why my safe place keeps changing🤔 Thanks for the well wishes for vacation. Can't wait.
          Kathy

Comment

I kept putting things in a "safe" place and then not remembering. I finally designated a rather large drawer as my SAFE PLACE. Now I know where to put it and where to find it.

Could you have filed it under: W for will, T for testament, L for Last will and testament, D- for death, I for important...? I actually made a file called death. Of course it may take me a while to locate it as it´s not in my safe place- file cabinet?

Comment

I can relate. When I thought I misplaced some important retirement docs, you would have thought I was a 13-yr-old who couldn't go to the dance. 😆

My husband found them in the garbage can outside.

The over-reaction comes from the fear of this being an increasing problem. For everyone else, it's just a mistake. For us, it happens much more frequently and we fear that this will be the new normal and won't be able to handle things.

Comment

Temagami - I told my husband just that. I need one large enough safe space. Also need to reorganize office and filing, as clearly not working.

MMMMS - thanks for the laugh. I did react like a heart broken teen! And how true, it is the fear that causes the extra intraspection and concern. That is truly the cause of the tears.
                Kathy

Comment

Working...
                X