SPMS vs RRMS Screening Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPMS vs RRMS Screening Tool

Scoring Tool Helps Identify Patients with RRMS or Transitioning to SPMS, Study Reports

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...aad98-71480813

"Of note, SPMS and transitioning patients were affected more by disease symptoms, compared to RRMS patients. The most pronounced differences between RRMS and SPMS patients were in motor/ambulatory symptoms (35% vs. 94%), and balance/coordination (31% vs. 89%); followed by cognitive symptoms (18% vs. 66%), and bowel and bladder symptoms (20% vs. 65%).

Based on the results, the team concluded that “the SPMS screening tool was able to differentiate between RRMS and SPMS patients with high sensitivity and specificity, and thus also identify patients in transition.”
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

I was hoping there would be a link to the tool. I'm sort of in the transitioning stage. I'd be very interested to see how I score.

But it's still in development.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The most pronounced differences between RRMS and SPMS patients were in motor/ambulatory symptoms (35% vs. 94%), and balance/coordination (31% vs. 89%)
      Based on this I should have been diagnosed with SPMS from the start but my course very much fit into RRMS even though I had both balance and mobility issues. I question the reliability of a scoring tool when a person doesn't fit into averages. I have had mobility and balance problems since before the age of 18.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I was hoping there would be a link to the tool. I'm sort of in the transitioning stage. I'd be very interested to see how I score.

But it's still in development.
        There was a link to MSProDiscuss, which I think is it. This was the URL:
        https://msprodiscuss.com

I tried it. The only thing I didn't like is it didn't appear to let you skip a section if not applicable. So I had to select either intermittent or persistent stable, even if not applicable. So for me, it came out I was flashing yellow, which I guess means transitioning. No numeric score, just color coding. But it would have been negatively weighted for symptoms I don't have, so am I really green?

Of course, I do wonder if SPMS or just that Tysabri is doing what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for the article KoKo!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X