Ampyra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra

How does it work? My neuro says it's to help me walk faster and better. But, if my legs hurt and I'm exhausted trying to walk what is going to happen? I'm confused. I've looked around for these answers but can't find anything.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

"How" it works is beyond me, but it has helped my endurance and balance. I can do things like walk to the mailbox, take out the garbage, and walk through the grocery store with a cart.

I haven't had pain, so I can't really comment there... if you haven't been walking for a while, there is a chance your muscles are atrophying a little. Might want to look for more info on that, though.

Comment

Ampyra improves message conduction in nerve fibers damaged by MS. Ampyra needed an objective measurement to score against for clinical trials. They selected walking as the measurement and Ampyra measured up. Now Ampyra is known as the walking pill.

I'm sorry that you have leg pain and fatigue. Ampyra is not indicated to resolve either issue. However, the improved nerve communication may help you beyond walking.

Many Ampyra patients tell of other benefits besides walking, but it's only "approved" benefit is listed as walking. You'll have to try it to see how your body will react to the medication.

Most people will know within the first two months if there is any benefit. Your doctor will perform timed walking tests before and after to measure your progress. I hope you respond positively to the medication.

I wish you well...

Comment

I wrote this at the beginning of this month in reply to a thread in the Medications and Treatments Forum. It's just my personal experience, but I hope it is useful.

"I took Ampyra for a few years, and it did improve my walking - speed, coordination, and distance. Now I take a compounded version of the active ingredient, 4-ampyradine. It doesn't work quite so well, but my MS has advanced also. I got patient assistance from Acorda, the maker of Ampyra, but it has been discontinued. My medicare Plan D has a very high copay even for the new generic versions. That is why I resorted to a compounded medicine.

"The 25-foot walk test is something my neuro does every visit. The speed is recorded. But I don't think that means that my treatments are solely limited to things that might improve such a short distance walk. The 25-foot test is a requirement for Ampyra, I understand, because that medicine doesn't work for everyone and even a little walk can reveal whether walking in general is getting any better. One third of MS patients get no result, one third get some benefit, and one third have a great improvement. I think I am in the top of the middle.

"My walking is more fluid, and all my movements are easier and faster with the medicine. Falls are rare. Nevertheless, without taking frequent rests, I can only walk (with my walker) a block or two on a "good" day. I use my cane in interiors (church, restaurants, social gatherings). At home, I can coast along without any aide. If I forget to take the medicine, however, I notice all of my movements are much much worse. So I feel that it is useful."

Stay lifted,
        Mermaid Susan
        "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
        X