Sorry to bring up insomnia again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Loopey are you taking a sleep aid every night? I've been on one thing or another for years and it bothers me that I am dependent on meds every day. This can't be good. Are most insomniacs treated with meds??
    n

I take Melatonin all night. Every time I wake up I take another pill. This happens on average 4-5 times a night. I tried acupuncture but it didn't work and CBD oil improves my mood but doesnt help me sleep. The Melatonin I take has Valerian in it also..I hate taking pills. I have taken so many for so many things I just stopped. Now I only take meds for blood pressure and vitamin D in the AM and the Melatonin at night.

I hope you find an answer. My way isn't perfect but I am not lying awake all night like I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
      n

I take Melatonin all night. Every time I wake up I take another pill. This happens on average 4-5 times a night. I tried acupuncture but it didn't work and CBD oil improves my mood but doesnt help me sleep. The Melatonin I take has Valerian in it also..I hate taking pills. I have taken so many for so many things I just stopped. Now I only take meds for blood pressure and vitamin D in the AM and the Melatonin at night.

I hope you find an answer. My way isn't perfect but I am not lying awake all night like I used to.

Thanks Loopey. I guess I know why your screen name is LOOPEY. This insomnia will make anyone loopey. Anyway, last night I did what you suggested with the Melatonin... no luck. I even took some Unisom with it. It just made me nervous and I was away (wide awake) until 5am. Finally slept for 2 hours! I just sent my neuro another message about this. He wants me to try some kind of sleep therapy. That's going to have to wait until I am finished with PT for my shoulder. I have missed 3 appointments because of the insomnia. I don't like taking meds, but this problem is unrelenting and there doesn't seem to be any other fix for it. I know better than to drive the next day and I've never fallen. I wish he would listen to me instead of being afraid of being sued for a POSSIBLE accident. Good sleep to you.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

sleep what is that lost thing of old lol

Marti you just wrote what I perhaps said yrs and yrs ago!!!! I have had chronic insomina for yrs and yrs. ( Mostly due to childhood abuse issues) Done the sleep study. Taken ALL the RX as in Meletonin, Valium,Xanax, Ambien, Lunesta, CBD oil etc etc diffusers, sound machines, da da da da da and nothing really works PERIOD!!! Too bad we can't give more info as we could chat all night or play scrabble bahahahahaha

I do have RX I take to help prevent the nightmares or saga dreams as I call them when and if I finally go to sleep. I am yelling and cursing like a sailor per husband who can hear me sometimes if I finally go to sleep and he is watching TV upstairs at the other end of the house lol FYI: this does get old and annoying but the lack of ability to go to SLEEP and stay there IS a HUGE issue.

I can say that WHEN I am able to get more excercise like in pool at the silver sneakers program (I'm more vintage than you ) it does help ever so slightly. mini mini amount FYI :I do have other issues like migraines and back issues (due to have nerves burnt again in a month) after 5 spine surgeries over the last 30 yrs. I do have good DOCS that trust me with pain meds and use a tens unit (which helps however still often does not allow me to stand more than 5 mins at a time drats!!!) Ck my vent at another location. I find that NO RX period really helps me at all so I mostly don't bother. If I haven't slept for 3 days (which is about my delerious limit)I do take 2 Xanax and I finally crash. This makes me feel like a failure as no ability to "make self sleep" however, at this point I must sleep as exhausted and a wreck.

I can recommend this: go ahead and feel free to laugh but give it a try as it often works for me.
        I turn on a TV very low and let it drone on like Anciet Aliens lol. Just enough for info but the talking will very often cause me to drop off to sleep. I do wake up again but some is better than none Right??? Pick something that will not cause to be more alert. Hubby listens to music with headband putting it directly into his ears not mine. This will not work for me as music that I would like to hear makes me want to dance bahahahaha Perhaps I should try harp...... thought perhaps.

The excercise in pool is different than the kind like yesterday trimming shrubs via sitting down in a chair. Did take RX and Tens unit still couldn't stand to do it but did get it done. Tk you very much lol That is totally different type of movement for me and when I can devote several times a week I could tell a small difference in ability to sleep due to being tired. I'm guessing you have to MAKE that a priority. Again I say it only works some. However, some is better than none RIGHT??

This is a difficult and exhausting problem to have however, try and remember lots of folk have way worse issues just saying.

Comment

Sorry I haven't responded to each post. Thanks to all of you for your stories, suggestions and recommendations. Sorry to say, nothing has helped so far. At this point I am just too tired and muddled to answer each of you. But I plan to do that soon.

It's so sad to know that so many of us are in this boat. I just wish my neuro would listen to me. If i don't mind taking the meds, he shouldn't mind giving them. At this point it won't be the meds that cause me to fall, but the lack of sleep will.
          Marti

Comment

Here's an idea I hadn't thought of suggesting before. I have very little experience but I might try it.

Have you heard of binaural beats?

There are various apps out there for your phone. You can choose binaural beats for sleeping, healing, focus, etc. You use ear buds ; they need to be stereo to work.

I don't know much about them; maybe someone knows more?
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Here's an idea I hadn't thought of suggesting before. I have very little experience but I might try it.

Have you heard of binaural beats?

There are various apps out there for your phone. You can choose binaural beats for sleeping, healing, focus, etc. You use ear buds ; they need to be stereo to work.

I don't know much about them; maybe someone knows more?

You won't believe it, but I don't have a cell phone. I did buy this little thing that plays this special music... beautiful, melodious and slow... it's meant to help with sleep. But it didn't work for me. Guess I was too focused on listening to the music.
              Marti

Comment

You won't believe it, but I don't have a cell phone. I did buy this little thing that plays this special music... beautiful, melodious and slow... it's meant to help with sleep. But it didn't work for me. Guess I was too focused on listening to the music.
                Yeah; I guess music might help some people.

Binaural beats isn't music. It's a type of sound wave therapy. There's a lot of research and technology behind it. It's way above my ability to understand it.

Research indicates that potential benefits include:
                - reduced stress
                - reduced anxiety
                - increased focus
                - increased concentration
                - increased motivation
                - increased confidence
                - deeper meditation
                - improved psychomotor performance and mood.

Binaural beats are a technique of combining two slightly different sound frequencies to create the perception of a single new frequency tone.

It uses frequencies and how the brain perceives them. Science shows that exposure to binaural beats can create changes in the brain’s response. Listening to these sounds may help you relax, lower your anxiety, and can make it easier for you to fall asleep and sleep more soundly.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yeah; I guess music might help some people.

Binaural beats isn't music. It's a type of sound wave therapy. There's a lot of research and technology behind it. It's way above my ability to understand it.

Research indicates that potential benefits include:
                  - reduced stress
                  - reduced anxiety
                  - increased focus
                  - increased concentration
                  - increased motivation
                  - increased confidence
                  - deeper meditation
                  - improved psychomotor performance and mood.

Binaural beats are a technique of combining two slightly different sound frequencies to create the perception of a single new frequency tone.

It uses frequencies and how the brain perceives them. Science shows that exposure to binaural beats can create changes in the brain’s response. Listening to these sounds may help you relax, lower your anxiety, and can make it easier for you to fall asleep and sleep more soundly.

Thanks Mama, but I still don't have a cell phone.
                  Marti

Comment

Thanks Mama, but I still don't have a cell phone.
                    I understand that.

I still wanted to clarify what binaural beats were - for other readers. Your comment about music alerted me that my post needed more explanation.

I imagine there are also additional devices that can access them. Probably CD players with earbuds, etc.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I understand that.

I still wanted to clarify what binaural beats were - for other readers. Your comment about music alerted me that my post needed more explanation.

I imagine there are also additional devices that can access them. Probably CD players with earbuds, etc.
                      I think this music thing is similar to what you're talking about. It's called Wholetones 2sleep. The music is played at a very slow pace... can't think of how to describe it, but it's very soothing. Just doesn't help me sleep.
                      Marti

Comment

NyQuil

...but this course is getting ridiculous! I haven't had more than 2 hours of sleep every night for weeks now. Last night was a total washout. I took 2 Benadryls and a quarter of an Ambien. No luck. None. Not a minute!

I've struggled with insomnia for years, but never like this. Unrelenting, persistent, brutal nights without any sleep. My chest hurts, my body is drained, my mind is mush. I've messaged with my neuro and he refuses to order any meds. He's so afraid that I will fall or have an accident because I am 68. I swear to you and to him, I have never, never had any reactions to the few meds that I took for this problem. No prob with Ambien, Clonazepam, Temazepam, Xanax. It's the otc stuff that kind of bothers me. First of all, they don't work. I'm going on 3 solid days of taking Unisom and the Benadryl products and I'm barely even drowsy. I'm exhausted in every way, but that's just from the lack of sleep. The meds have not affected me at all. I took half of an Ambien an hour ago and still... nothing. It's like my body is blocking the intended effects.

I have also tried the Essential oils, room sprays, colored lights, laying on the couch with the tv on.... all the things that used to give me some relief. I read, I walk the floors. The biggest problem is that I can't turn off my thoughts. They roll around, keeping me "alert" and awake.

Here is part of our conversation: Behavior modification therapy has been recommended as a useful adjunct in treating psychophysiologic insomnia.
                        Would there be any interest in going to Burrell Behavioral Health for training in behavior modification for psychophysiologic insomnia (the condition of ruminiation, many thoughts during the time of trying to go to sleep). I might try this as a last resort, but only after I finish the physical therapy I am getting right now for an impingement problem. I can't possibly handle 2 separate therapies at once. That would be like becoming a professional patient.

I'm begging you... if anyone has any thoughts on this... any suggestions.. any personal experiences please let me know. This is pure toture.
                        I don’t take anything but a swig of NyQuil.
                        "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Originally posted by MSLazarus View Post
                          I don’t take anything but a swig of NyQuil.

Do you take it every night? I don't really mind the idea of taking meds, but it worries me that this is an every night event for me. Is it just an effect of MS?
                          Marti

Comment

Marti,

I’m glad you brought the subject up again. There are a few other ideas I meant to tell you about. For so many years-like most of my life-I’ve lived with sleepless nights and exhausted days.

For remedies I will start with the pharmaceutical approach. I mentioned temazapam. It’s strange your doctors have given you every other benzodiazepine except that one. Clonazapam is very strong but doesn’t give you the quality sleep if you sleep at all. I would seriously avoid the OTC like the plague. They do reversals for those of us with classic insomnia.

One medication that I forgot to mention is hydroxizine. It does not put you to sleep but it can keep you asleep. It is not addictive, not a controlled substance and never stops working. If I take the temazapam and hydroxizine before I go to sleep there is a good chance I will get that kind on long, deep sleep that we desperately need to repair our bodies and minds. Many other MS drugs that are prescribed for symptoms are also sedating. There are Lyrica, gabapentin, baclofen and primidone.

But, beyond drugs I have learned some other tricks. A lecturer from UC San Diego who is an expert in sleep said a lot of things. If you wake up in the middle of the night don’t look at the clock. That will wake you up. If you have to pee don’t turn the light on. Have a Small night light to guide you. Try not to open your eyes.

But the only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep. That is not a joke. I seize every opportunity possible to get extra rest because keeping my CNS depressed is the key to everything. Not only does it help with insomnia, it helps keeps MS progression under control.

I’m probably repeating myself but just in case. Remember, no OTC.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                              Marti,

I’m glad you brought the subject up again. There are a few other ideas I meant to tell you about. For so many years-like most of my life-I’ve lived with sleepless nights and exhausted days.

For remedies I will start with the pharmaceutical approach. I mentioned temazapam. It’s strange your doctors have given you every other benzodiazepine except that one. Clonazapam is very strong but doesn’t give you the quality sleep if you sleep at all. I would seriously avoid the OTC like the plague. They do reversals for those of us with classic insomnia.

One medication that I forgot to mention is hydroxizine. It does not put you to sleep but it can keep you asleep. It is not addictive, not a controlled substance and never stops working. If I take the temazapam and hydroxizine before I go to sleep there is a good chance I will get that kind on long, deep sleep that we desperately need to repair our bodies and minds. Many other MS drugs that are prescribed for symptoms are also sedating. There are Lyrica, gabapentin, baclofen and primidone.

But, beyond drugs I have learned some other tricks. A lecturer from UC San Diego who is an expert in sleep said a lot of things. If you wake up in the middle of the night don’t look at the clock. That will wake you up. If you have to pee don’t turn the light on. Have a Small night light to guide you. Try not to open your eyes.

But the only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep. That is not a joke. I seize every opportunity possible to get extra rest because keeping my CNS depressed is the key to everything. Not only does it help with insomnia, it helps keeps MS progression under control.

I’m probably repeating myself but just in case. Remember, no OTC.

Thanks so much again. I've heard of some of your suggestions. I always have a nightlight in the bathrooms! I do look at the clock.. bad Marti. Is the hydroxizine a prescription? I took Temazepam a long, long time ago. It was the first sleep med I ever had way back before I was dx. Worked very well. The Clonazepam also worked well for me.. even at half dose. But I'm wondering now if that was what was keeping me dizzy. Since I've been off it I am not as woozy. Once in awhile. I wonder why my neuro suggested the Unisom and the Melatonin? Neither are that good. In fact, the Melatonin has done nothing. I'll look into this again. Nitey nite!
                              Marti

Comment

It’s so so hard not to look at the clock but I think it is possible to get used to it. When you first wake up, tell yourself, ‘if I look at that clock I will wake myself up’. Not bad Marti. Bad clock.

Hydroxizine is a prescription medication. It’s just a little easier to get than a controlled substance. When a doctor tells you he doesn’t want you to become addicted or that it will stop working tell him/her that addiction is a behavioral disorder. I can’t sleep and it’s making my MS worse. I will become physically dependent but don’t have a lot to lose now. If I become addicted to sleeping at night it’s an addiction that is fine with me.

I’m not sure if I mentioned this but core body temperature plays a large role in sleep. I can sleep from March to August but autumn is heaven.

Comment

Working...
                                X