Still driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still driving?

I’m 59 m.s. took my Drivers license away.How do deal with this?I am in a wc tired of watching tv all time.I tried building balsa airplane like I did years ago.It was to much for my mind.My hands can’t work right.I am sorry for complaining and thanks for reading

Not Driving

Hi Carlyle,
    I gave up driving several years ago due to my constant dizziness. I go out twice a week with my son but otherwise I am mostly home bound. I am not in a wc but have difficulty going out by myself. I too watch TV, and I also play games on the computer like Bookworm, Scrabble and Solitaire to break up the time and to keep my mind active.

It can be really boring but I don't know what else to do. I meditate and I tried yoga but can't get into it. I have seen "chair yoga" on the internet. It might be good for you.

I hope things start to look up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
      I’m 59 m.s. took my Drivers license away.How do deal with this?I am in a wc tired of watching tv all time.I tried building balsa airplane like I did years ago.It was to much for my mind.My hands can’t work right.I am sorry for complaining and thanks for reading
      Hi Dave ~

I haven't been able to drive for several years.

Have to depend on others to get out of my apartment.

I don't really get bored because I live alone, and just doing the activities of daily living, taking care of myself, is truly a full time job. The day seems to pass by too quickly for me!

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I'm 57. Still driving.

I haven't driven out of town after dark for years. My vision does weird things with oncoming traffic / lights in the dark.

And, in more recent years, I just choose not to drive out of town at all. It makes me feel anxious so I prefer not to.

But I'm comfortable driving in my community.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I'm 57. Still driving.

I haven't driven out of town after dark for years. My vision does weird things with oncoming traffic / lights in the dark.
            I'm 58 and still drive, although I pick and choose when I drive based on fatigue level and cognitive function for that day.

I have never been comfortable with night driving even in my teens. Unless I absolutely have to I never night drive. This has nothing to do with MS but everything to do with congenital cataracts in both eyes.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Driving, but limited. I don't drive at night... haven't in a long, long time. Don't drive more than a couple miles in town. Lots of dizziness that restricts me. Too much anxiety and fatigue too. But sometimes driving just a mile or so calms me... makes me feel like I'm in control a little. I just go to the store or pharmacy.. get what I need and head home. I actually like my solitude so this is not a problem for me.

I'm sure if I was in your position I would feel differently. We all adjust or lives don't we!
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Still driving except for nighttime and traveling through busy cities. Can't see well at night and busy traffic makes me nervous.

Carlyle - you might benefit riding buses that are designated for the handicap (with ramp for your w/c). This way you could get out of the house and visit museums, restaurants, the library or wherever you desire! Check with your local transit system.

It's worth looking into!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I drive if I have to, but don’t do dark or Interstates well. Nobody looks forward to autonomous cars (and exoskeletons) more than I do!

Comment

Carlyle - I am sorry you are struggling. I am still driving with some self-imposed limitations. I can imagine how hard it is - driving gives us some independence.

Do you live in an area where they have any public transit. I know here, there is a van you can arrange for medical trips. I don't know if they can also do personal trips, but thought they could - maybe to a community or senior center so you can get out a little?

Can you do board puzzles? They may not be as taxing mentally as the balsa models. I hope you can find something that interests you.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My wife takes me out now and then.With out her I don’t know what I would do.Thanks for replying '

Comment

I'm 58. I have terrible neuropathic pain in my legs. I can't sit it a drivers seat for long. I never drive anymore. I miss driving. I've not driven at all in almost two years. I used to love driving and took long driving trips out west with my family. Now I have to rely on my wife and kids to drive me anywhere. I spend most of my time ar home now It's depressing. I surf the internet and watch tv/movies MS is a cruel master.

Comment

Still driving m

I haven't been able to drive for the last five or six years, I am chomping at the bit for the day that we get inaccessible van! I love to drive and I don't plan on never driving again. Since I haven't driven in a while I will definitely take the time to see how my vision does in different driving situations and I'm sure I won't be able to drive for long distances just due to fatigue but other than that, look out world cuz here I come! 😁

Comment

Slowly cutting back on driving more and more. Night X, Busy or unknown areas XX.
                            Many reasons -listed by others.

I know very little about them- but would you be able to get about on a mobility scooter?

Comment

I'm 59 still driving, but have cut down to just around town. Usually Dr Appts. and stores.

Legs usually start giving me problems if I'm driving more than 30 min. at a time. So I try to keep it with in 15 min. from home.

Comment

Working...
                              X