Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS and the Measles, Mumps, Ruebella (MMR) vaccine/booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and the Measles, Mumps, Ruebella (MMR) vaccine/booster?

Hello to all. I am wondering if anyone here has received the MMR booster/vaccine? I had a blood test today to verify if I'm still protected (can't remember the name of the test; my primary ordered it), so I may not need to get the shot. I know I had the series as a child ( late 60's). There are side effects (checked on the CDC website); I am on Rebif...my neuro had me call my primary, hence, the blood test. I believe the vaccine is "live".

I'm sure contracting the measles would be much worse than the side effects of the shot...just wanted to check here. Thanks much!!

Sara
    Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Thanks for asking this - I've also been thinking about this lately. Every day you hear about new outbreaks. Having gotten the vaccine in the 80s, I know that a booster is recommended but I'm not sure if it is safe to get since I am on tysabri.

Comment

Last time that I was due for a booster, my PCP told me. Although I assume he will still keep track, I'll probably check with him next time I have an appointment.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

My assumption may be wrong but I don't believe I need a MMR. I have had the lovely (not!) experience of having all three...Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. I had Rubella at the age of 15 shortly after getting out of school for summer break. Apparently we had an outbreak just before school got out. That was so fun, I had to watch my 9 month year old sister for the summer, even though I had Rubella

I have read that the MMR vaccine for those with a compromised immune system (that would be MS) can have serious side effects.

Before getting the vaccine check with your Neurologist and PCP as well as due diligence with research.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

WebMD states that the MMR vaccine is safe for people with MS, but to check with your physician first. I have also had measles, mumps and rubella....so am also assuming I am "safe" without the need to vaccinate.

Comment

It is my understanding that Tysabri weakens the immune system and live vaccines are not recommended. I'd like to get the MMR booster, but I'm concerned about getting a live vaccine. I'll ask my neuro at the next appointment. If anyone else gets any advice from their neuros please post their responses - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              My assumption may be wrong but I don't believe I need a MMR. I have had the lovely (not!) experience of having all three...Measles, Mumps, and Rubella...

I have read that the MMR vaccine for those with a compromised immune system (that would be MS) can have serious side effects.

Before getting the vaccine check with your Neurologist and PCP as well as due diligence with research.
              You made some good points. I also had all 3 as a child. In addition, I got my shots in 1992; they were required when I was employed at a county health department.

Might not need boosters? Maybe just need DPT boosters?
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X