No announcement yet.

Toenail fungus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip, Reg. I've heard that. I might have to look into whether Vicks has any toxic ingredients, like many traditional meds do.

I'm using tea tree oil daily. I've been doing that forever. Applying it directly to the nail, now, instead of adding it to my soaking water. I'm still doing Epsom salt soaks

I'm also putting a "toe condom" (cut off a thumb from a latex glove) over my toe daily with a cotton swab soaked in ACV and colloidal silver. My health consultant is trying that for herself and is seeing some new nail growing without fungus.

The third thing I also just started is 20 minutes a day under my FIR Infrared dome.

If I don't see new, healthy nail growing in a few months, maybe I'll try the Vicks, if I find out it's safe. With my functional medicine protocol, I'm trying to be pretty careful about that.

My acupuncturist thinks it might improve and look less ugly and less thick so I could cover it with nail polish. But she doesn't think it will ever go away. I don't want to believe that. She has suggested looking into laser surgery for it, but she admits not knowing much about it. I think it's very expensive and I don't know who does it around here.

My functional medicine doctor doesn't give me much advice for it other than tea tree oil, although he did say that my infrared dome should also help.

I actually had the whole toenail removed because there was also a bad ingrown toenail. But, now that the nail is growing back, the fungus is back too.

I don't want to try the Rx meds because if the risk of liver damage.

But, yeah ... thanks for the suggestion. I keep trying things, so I'll keep that in mind. I'm glad you can tell a difference. Is the nail beginning to look healthy where there is new growth?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I’m still toe nail fungus free. I only took the meds for like 2-3 months. I did the laser, which is not covered by insurance, it was painful and didn’t work.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
        I’m still toe nail fungus free. I only took the meds for like 2-3 months. I did the laser, which is not covered by insurance, it was painful and didn’t work.
        I'm glad the meds worked for you, Boudreaux. Both my functional medicine doc and my acupuncturist advise against it due to my age and my chronic illness. My acupuncturist also notes, during kinesiology visits, that my liver often needs "strengthening", even without putting it at further risk.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Not much has grown but the nail looks white. I have one nail that is thick but doesn't grow very much. Dr. said Vicks is very good for thick nails.

You said you soak your feet in Epsom salt. I did read about soaking your feet in Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar. Just didn't say how much of ea.

How much Epsom salt do you add to a foot bath?

I had to researched fir infrared dome, wasn't sure what it was. I certainly hope it helps, toe nail fungus was listed.

It also listed, reduces over stimulation of sensory nerves. I am suffering and have suffered from neuropathic burning pain on the bottoms of my feet so I thought about the pad. I would have to see good reviews before. I purchased because it's not cheap.

Wishing you good health Mamabug
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
            Not much has grown but the nail looks white. I have one nail that is thick but doesn't grow very much. Dr. said Vicks is very good for thick nails.g
            I looked up Vicks Vaporub online -- its ingredients and chemicals. It has petroleum in it, as do many personal care products such as shampoos and lotions. Dr G always says a firm no to petroleum and the many other toxins out there. I've switched to non toxic products.

I'm glad it's working for you, but I've worked so hard to make these lifestyle changes that I'm just not going to choose to go backwards. I can't imagine choosing to apply a toxic product to my body daily for six months or more.

I have a Tei Fu product that might have some of the same helpful ingredients in it, without the toxins. I'll research that sometime. Maybe I can apply it to my toenail instead.

You said you soak your feet in Epsom salt. I did read about soaking your feet in Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar. Just didn't say how much of ea. g

How much Epsom salt do you add to a foot bath?g
            I use a small plastic water basin filled 3/4 with water and about 1/4 c of Epsom salt. I stick part of my foot in. Not much is covered but the toe.

I had to researched fir infrared dome, wasn't sure what it was. I certainly hope it helps, toe nail fungus was listed.

It also listed, reduces over stimulation of sensory nerves. I am suffering and have suffered from neuropathic burning pain on the bottoms of my feet so I thought about the pad. I would have to see good reviews before. I purchased because it's not cheap.

Wishing you good health Mamabug
            yeah; not cheap at all. But I love mine, after only a week. It helps that it's winter, I guess. It just warms me right through and I've read such good things about it that it's easy to visualize me healing while I use it.

Thanks for the good wishes!
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              My acupuncturist thinks it might improve and look less ugly and less thick so I could cover it with nail polish. But she doesn't think it will ever go away. I don't want to believe that. She has suggested looking into laser surgery for it, but she admits not knowing much about it. I think it's very expensive and I don't know who does it around here.
              Hi Mamabug,

The good news is there are some polishes now that can be used if you have a fungal infection in your toenail. I probably got mine from wearing nail polish many years ago, and then made it worse by covering it up with wrong polish.

The infection might go away, but once you've had a toenail fungus, you are more prone to getting them again.

I used Terbinifine several years ago. It cleared up one nail (still clear) but not the other. I stopped because it was affecting my WBC, and at the time I was on Gilenya and that also affected my WBC. It was a bad combination.
              I want to avoid that happening again, especially since I'm on Ocrevus. The topical medications aren't systemic, so don't affect the liver or blood counts.

I don't know much about laser treatments. I've read they are expensive, require repeated sessions, and don't always work.

I'm currently using one of the prescription topical medications. One nail seems to be clearing up, but not the other. My podiatrist said it could take up to 4 years to work! It is expensive, and could not afford it without the copay assistance program. For now, I'm willing to give it a try. If your treatments work, it just might take awhile.

I actually had the whole toenail removed because there was also a bad ingrown toenail. But, now that the nail is growing back, the fungus is back too.
              Yeah, a podiatrist removed an infected pinky nail years ago, and the same thing happened to me .The podiatrist I see now said that doesn't work. The fungus is still in the nail bed and infects the new nail when it grows back. But he told me treatment might be more effective without the diseased nail there.

If all fails, he said he could permanently remove the nail. To do that he would he would apply a chemical solution to the cuticle area after removing the nai. I hope not to go that route, but will if nothing works.

Good luck with your treatments. I hope they work for you!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep trying.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep trying.
                  Hi Mamabug,

Best time in the 20 years that I've had toenail fungus was when I was doing a special daily mani on that foot/toe, keeping the area under the nail clean and well-aired, and applying an astringent OTC product on it called fungi-nail. I saw vast improvement, but couldn't hold it back once winter came with closed shoes on all the time.

I have been reading about laser treatments, where they literally - in a series of appointments - laser away the fungus. It is described as non-invasive because it doesn't involve drugs. I don't want to advertise anyone specific here, but you could try googling "toenail fungus laster treatments"

Happy New Year,

R
                  All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
                    Hi Mamabug,

Best time in the 20 years that I've had toenail fungus was when I was doing a special daily mani on that foot/toe, keeping the area under the nail clean and well-aired, and applying an astringent OTC product on it called fungi-nail. I saw vast improvement, but couldn't hold it back once winter came with closed shoes on all the time.

I have been reading about laser treatments, where they literally - in a series of appointments - laser away the fungus. It is described as non-invasive because it doesn't involve drugs. I don't want to advertise anyone specific here, but you could try googling "toenail fungus laster treatments"

Happy New Year,

R
                    I spent over a thousand bucks on the laser treatment for toenail fungus. It didn't work for me.
                    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

My functional medicine doctor says they are 89% effective.

But, it's such a high cost, and, yeah -- they apparently don't work for everyone.

For now, I'll keep trying tea tree oil, Epsom salt and Infrared. I'm also using some ACV and collodal silver. Hopefully something will work eventually.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

If you can stand the smell..

Garlic

A 2009 review found that garlic has some antifungal and antimicrobial capabilities.

You may treat toenail fungus with garlic by placing chopped or crushed garlic cloves on the affected area for 30 minutes daily.

It may be better, and less smelly, to treat it from the inside out with garlic capsules.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...-fungus#garlic
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                          Garlic

You may treat toenail fungus with garlic by placing chopped or crushed garlic cloves on the affected area for 30 minutes daily.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...-fungus#garlic
                          Yeah; I've read that, thanks. I've got that idea filed away for future reference if these things don't work.

I'm doing so many things right now, I'll see how they work. After awhile, it might just seem like I'm spending too many hours a day treating my toenail (soaking, tea treat oil, ACV colloidal silver, Infrared, etc, etc). I'd still like to have a life other than that.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

My podiatrist told me to use Vicks Vapor Rub. She said it could take up to 6 mos. to a
                            year. I have been treating my toes for about 2 months and I can tell a difference in the color but no where near well.
                            I looked up Vicks Vaporub online -- its ingredients and chemicals. It has petroleum in it, as do many personal care products such as shampoos and lotions. Dr G always says a firm no to petroleum and the many other toxins out there. I've switched to non toxic products.

I have a Tei Fu product that might have some of the same helpful ingredients in it, without the toxins. I'll research that sometime. Maybe I can apply it to my toenail instead.
                            I looked up my Tei Fu. It has some of the same ingredients as Vicks Vaporub minus the petroleum. I think I'll add it to my regime.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                            A 2009 review found that garlic has some antifungal and antimicrobial capabilities.

And, I've re-thought my recent response. I guess, if I want to treat this naturally, I need to try everything I can if I want to get rid of it.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions!
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi Mamabug,

Your dedication to your Functional Medicine is impressive.

I'm wondering if colloidal silver is really safe after reading this?

Side Effects & Safety

Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth, applied to the skin, or injected intravenously (by IV). The silver in colloidal silver products gets deposited into organs such as the skin, liver, spleen, kidney, muscle, and brain. This can lead to an irreversible bluish looking skin that first appears in the gums. It can also stimulate melanin production in skin, and areas exposed to the sun will become increasingly discolored.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...lloidal-silver

Silver can build up in the body’s tissue, causing a bluish-gray discoloration of large areas of skin, especially those exposed to the sun.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/colloidalsilver#safety

I also wonder if using the infrared dome would affect that?

I'm doing so many things right now, I'll see how they work. After awhile, it might just seem like I'm spending too many hours a day treating my toenail (soaking, tea treat oil, ACV colloidal silver, Infrared, etc, etc). I'd still like to have a life other than that.
                              Best of luck with your nail, and finding the time for your treatments!
                              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                              X