How many people with m.s. depressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marco View Post
    - Nerve damage can affect the transmission of signals related to mood.
    This scares the hell out of me.

Cannot understand why this never crossed my mind as a potential loss.

Other physical issues, pain, movement, cog fog, even hearing or sight seem secondary. But the possibility of moving from a positive person to a negative one... exceptionally cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
      This scares the hell out of me.

Cannot understand why this never crossed my mind as a potential loss.

Other physical issues, pain, movement, cog fog, even hearing or sight seem secondary. But the possibility of moving from a positive person to a negative one... exceptionally cruel.
      With dementia anecdotally I have seen mood/personality changes go either way from positive to negative, negative to passive, formerly high strung to low key etc.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        With dementia anecdotally I have seen mood/personality changes go either way from positive to negative, negative to passive, formerly high strung to low key etc.
        Jules,

Do you think the person (MS person) is aware that they moved P>N or N>P? Anyone? Marco?

Jer

Comment

Depression really snuck up on me and bit me in the behind. I've never suffered with depression before, my sister has for her whole entire life and she's 65 now, tried every anti-depressant, nothing worked. I wasn't feeling especially sad or anything, just didn't want to put in the effort to do anything like visit friends, go shopping, etc. but we had such a brutal winter it kept me very housebound.

The moment that came upon me and made me go see the doctor about this was when I realized that I didn't like being around me... at all!!! If I didn't like be around me, can you imagine how much other people liked being around me? If I heard good news about someone I would say "Isn't that great!!" and deep down be seething with jealousy but still really happy for the person. It was very confusing.
          I must have hid it well but I did see my doctor and am now in a much better place. I'm on an anti-depressant that took literally 3 days to start feeling different, she set me up with a councillor and a social worker and some other organizations to assist.

I hope everyone who suffers from depression can get the help you need to assist with this debilitating illness/state-of-mind. It's been a real eye opening experience.
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Jules,

Do you think the person (MS person) is aware that they moved P>N or N>P? Anyone? Marco?

Jer
            My guess is that as with all things MS it seems the cognitive deficits can be varied both in severity and also duration-sometimes transient and sometimes permanent. If it is an actual change in temperament, frustration tolerance, insight, perceptual disturbances due to brain damage such as in the case of Traumatic Brain Injury or Alzheimer's disease then likely no. If the change in outlook is due to chemical issues/depression or the significant stresses a chronic disease can trigger then I would imagine the person would be aware there has been a change and would possibly be treatable with therapy.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
              Depression really snuck up on me and bit me in the behind. I've never suffered with depression before, my sister has for her whole entire life and she's 65 now, tried every anti-depressant, nothing worked. I wasn't feeling especially sad or anything, just didn't want to put in the effort to do anything like visit friends, go shopping, etc. but we had such a brutal winter it kept me very housebound.

The moment that came upon me and made me go see the doctor about this was when I realized that I didn't like being around me... at all!!! If I didn't like be around me, can you imagine how much other people liked being around me? If I heard good news about someone I would say "Isn't that great!!" and deep down be seething with jealousy but still really happy for the person. It was very confusing.
              I must have hid it well but I did see my doctor and am now in a much better place. I'm on an anti-depressant that took literally 3 days to start feeling different, she set me up with a councillor and a social worker and some other organizations to assist.

I hope everyone who suffers from depression can get the help you need to assist with this debilitating illness/state-of-mind. It's been a real eye opening experience.
              It sounds like you are describing anhedonia and how wonderful that your doctor recognized it and offered medication in conjunction with therapy and resources.
              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                People with MS are up to two or three times more likely to become depressed than those without the condition. There are a few reasons why up to half of people with MS will experience depression at some point in their lives:

- Nerve damage can affect the transmission of signals related to mood.
                - Living with a chronic illness can cause stress and anxiety.
                - Drugs like steroids and interferons that treat MS can cause depression as a side effect.

Often, depression is the one MS symptom that’s overlooked and left untreated. Here are a few tips to help you care for your mental health while managing your MS.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ms...os=article_1#1

Thank you Marco. I agree about the possibility of nerve damage. Wish I could get this through to my neuro. I also believe the insomnia must be caused by a lesion.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

My guess is that as with all things MS it seems the cognitive deficits can be varied both in severity and also duration-sometimes transient and sometimes permanent.

I have PPMS from the start 11 years ago. No remission. Once it's gone, it truly appears to be gone. Fortunately, I have no cognitive issues.... The same old me, then and now :-)

If the change in outlook is due to chemical issues/depression or the significant stresses a chronic disease can trigger then I would imagine the person would be aware there has been a change and would possibly be treatable with therapy.

One should never say never, but my positivity has strengthened while the rest of me just fades away.

Thanks for your insights Jules.

Comment

It sounds like you are describing anhedonia and how wonderful that your doctor recognized it and offered medication in conjunction with therapy and resources.
                    I didn't know it had a name, thanks for providing that... I looked it up and it's EXACTLY what I'm feeling.
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                    X