How many people with m.s. depressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many people with m.s. depressed?

What is the percentage of people with m.s. that are depressed?I struggle with it,most days.Just so much I can’t do now.Use to be very handy.Its torture seeing stuff that needs fixing,knowing I can’t work on it

I don't know the numbers for how many people with MS are depressed, but I know that I have struggled with it, even before my CIS diagnosis. I'm sorry you're dealing with it. Have you got any help for it? I would recommend seeking counseling (it helps a lot with the right counselor), and/or talking to your doctor about possible medications to help. You don't have to suffer without help!

Comment

Me!

I have had panic attacks my whole life, due to some parental abuse from my narcissistic mom. Never had trouble with Depression until after my diagnosis and starting Avonex. May be the drug. May be the diagnosis. But, there's definitely more sadness.

Comment

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
        I don't know the numbers for how many people with MS are depressed, but I know that I have struggled with it, even before my CIS diagnosis. I'm sorry you're dealing with it. Have you got any help for it? I would recommend seeking counseling (it helps a lot with the right counselor), and/or talking to your doctor about possible medications to help. You don't have to suffer without help!
        Hi I’m going to doc today

Comment

Depression in its various forms is one of the most common symptoms of multiple sclerosis. In fact, studies have suggested that clinical depression—the most severe form—is more frequent among people with MS than it is in the general population or in many other chronic illnesses.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...oms/Depression

Several studies have reported high rates of depression in multiple sclerosis (MS) with a lifetime prevalence of ∼50% and an annual prevalence of 20% not uncommon.

https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/76/4/469

Comment

Hi Marco thank you for the info.A lot of information I will read it again.Thanks again

Comment

Initially I thought well yeah of course those of us with a horrible diagnosis and difficulties with what many take for granted as basic life tasks would be depressed although the studies do seem to indicate there is more than just the psychosocial stress involved in the increased rates of people with MS who also have depression.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I've never really felt depressed about the MS. But other things kind of get me down. I have more problems with anxiety and insomnia. My neuro insisted on giving me Zoloft so I've been taking a half tablet on the days I remember it. Trying to keep regular. But I honestly don't feel any different. The Xanax helped me with panic better than anything else without side effects. But this neuro is afraid to order it for anyone over 65. I think the medical world is getting some backlash for prescribing it and other Benzos. Those are the group of meds that always gave me relief without problems. I am in the process of begging him for Restoril now.
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

My PCP always reads a list of 15-20 questions that are obviously designed to screen for depression. Not sure if it is office protocol to screen all patients for depression or because of MS. I usually stop her halfway through the list and tell her I'm not depressed.

I frequently experience frustration, anger and/or irritation with my SPMS limitations, but I do not suffer from depression. (I do curse under my breath a lot anymore!!) Actually, the advice I used to give my kids during rough times is "better mad than sad," and use that frustration to motivate you. Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                    I've never really felt depressed about the MS. But other things kind of get me down. I have more problems with anxiety and insomnia. My neuro insisted on giving me Zoloft so I've been taking a half tablet on the days I remember it. Trying to keep regular. But I honestly don't feel any different. The Xanax helped me with panic better than anything else without side effects. But this neuro is afraid to order it for anyone over 65. I think the medical world is getting some backlash for prescribing it and other Benzos. Those are the group of meds that always gave me relief without problems. I am in the process of begging him for Restoril now.
                    Good for you! Keep begging. I will put a good word in for you upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
                      My PCP always reads a list of 15-20 questions that are obviously designed to screen for depression. Not sure if it is office protocol to screen all patients for depression or because of MS. I usually stop her halfway through the list and tell her I'm not depressed.

I frequently experience frustration, anger and/or irritation with my SPMS limitations, but I do not suffer from depression. (I do curse under my breath a lot anymore!!) Actually, the advice I used to give my kids during rough times is "better mad than sad," and use that frustration to motivate you. Good luck to you!

I love the cursing under your breath. I do this often, but I also let if fly now that Sam is gone. I'm alone in this house and I need to release some frustration. Somehow, "oh darn" just doesn't do it anymore!
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Yes, I am depressed, but for good reason. Had to do an “Are you depressed?” quiz at the doctor’s the other week. Every question had are you feeling X,Y,Z or are you not enjoying your usual activities etc “for no good reason”. I passed with flying colours because I have a very good reason - SPMS.
                        Anyhoo. 👍

Comment

Me too! I was depressed before being dxed but after I fell into a very deep hole. It took some therapy and anti-depressants to hold on. I still go thru some bad periods specially when my body struggles more than usual. I cry a lot then move on. Just love my hubby, kids, grandkids and furbabies not to smile once in awhile. Good Luck to all!
                          DIAGNOSED=2012
                          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                            My neuro insisted on giving me Zoloft so I've been taking a half tablet on the days I remember it. Trying to keep regular. But I honestly don't feel any different. The Xanax helped me with panic better than anything else without side effects. But this neuro is afraid to order it for anyone over 65. I think the medical world is getting some backlash for prescribing it and other Benzos.
                            Zoloft is FDA approved for anxiety and depression. It is prescribed daily and takes a while to achieve a therapeutic level so not surprising it isn't working if not taken as ordered.

The benzodiazepines have fallen out of favor because of the large amount of solid research indicating serious adverse effects in people of all ages with long term use. They shouldn't be stopped abruptly and require medical guidance to safely taper. Unfortunately with daily use it can take a long time for the brain to heal upon discontinuation. It is not uncommon to feel worse prior to feeling better but with time the positive outcome and mental clarity people describe can be remarkable.

Personally I think of them like steroids, a blessing and a curse. They can be amazing in small pulses but long term use can cause significant problems. It is unfortunate the medical community wasn't aware of the long term adverse effects years ago when they were being prescribed en masse and also that some older providers didn't stay current on the literature and educate their patients.

This is a complicated issue so for those struggling I'd recommend doing your research, discuss and work with your prescriber to do what is best for your individual situation.

http://www.criugm.qc.ca/fichier/pdf/BENZOeng.pdf

https://www.pbm.va.gov/PBM/AcademicD...sion_Guide.pdf
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            Anonymous

Comment

People with MS are up to two or three times more likely to become depressed than those without the condition. There are a few reasons why up to half of people with MS will experience depression at some point in their lives:

- Nerve damage can affect the transmission of signals related to mood.
                              - Living with a chronic illness can cause stress and anxiety.
                              - Drugs like steroids and interferons that treat MS can cause depression as a side effect.

Often, depression is the one MS symptom that’s overlooked and left untreated. Here are a few tips to help you care for your mental health while managing your MS.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ms...os=article_1#1

Comment

Working...
                              X