It feels like a dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feels like a dream

If I were to see my life now from when I was 37 ( my year of diagnosis), I would smile & be happy for myself, but I would wonder about my journey! At that age of 37 I finally got a diagnosis after symptoms for 15+years. I was struggling to figure out how to work, drive, and be a single mom, let alone be happy & in a great marriage.
    I worked hard, played hard and crashed hard. At 42 I got a delightful case of Transverse Myelitis on top of MS, that almost got me. I had ignored 2 infections in favor of attending school! Funny how our priorities can get messed up and I soon discovered I was about to learn how messed up things could get.

My life completely changed after TM hit. It paralyzed me from my shoulders down so of course a wheelchair became my friend. I lost many “things” during this time but I gained a whole lot of courage I never knew I had.

I learned the courage to endure loneliness I had never felt before. I learned to have faith in my ability to survive a tough life and still come out ok. I met new friends and turned a hobby into a business. I gained the confidence to start active rehabilitation to walk again and 3 years later I took my first walk around my buildings block. I learned at an older and wiser age, that I could find a man to love me with all my baggage; especially the not knowingness of MS.
    I have really learned to jump out of my comfort zone and live in a developing country where MS is not on the radar for common diseases! That has made me learn to take better care of myself. It has challenged me many times as I struggle to manage heat. My husband is my rock and he knows being here is my dream but is ok with the possibility of having to return to the states if need be.

I have to say I worked hard to be where I am but it does feel like a dream at times!

Hi redopal,

I see you've been here before, but I want to welcome you again to the message boards and thanks for sharing your story! It sounds like you've been through a lot and have managed to come out on the other side of those MS challenges with courage and determination. And so happy to know you have a loving husband who is there for you.

I see in another post of yours that you served in the military. Are you still? That must be a challenge as well.

I hope you come here often now and pass along more of your positive energy for others
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks, redopal, for introducing yourself and sharing your challenges, your courage and your successes.

Welcome to MSWorld!
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story. It is inspirational. Your fighting spirit and inner strength is admirable. I am so glad your hard work was rewarded. I can only imagine the emotion you and your loved ones experienced on that walk!

I hope you continue to do well. Look forward to more posts.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by redopal View Post
          If I were to see my life now from when I was 37 ( my year of diagnosis), I would smile & be happy for myself, but I would wonder about my journey! At that age of 37 I finally got a diagnosis after symptoms for 15+years. I was struggling to figure out how to work, drive, and be a single mom, let alone be happy & in a great marriage.
          I worked hard, played hard and crashed hard. At 42 I got a delightful case of Transverse Myelitis on top of MS, that almost got me. I had ignored 2 infections in favor of attending school! Funny how our priorities can get messed up and I soon discovered I was about to learn how messed up things could get.

My life completely changed after TM hit. It paralyzed me from my shoulders down so of course a wheelchair became my friend. I lost many “things” during this time but I gained a whole lot of courage I never knew I had.

I learned the courage to endure loneliness I had never felt before. I learned to have faith in my ability to survive a tough life and still come out ok. I met new friends and turned a hobby into a business. I gained the confidence to start active rehabilitation to walk again and 3 years later I took my first walk around my buildings block. I learned at an older and wiser age, that I could find a man to love me with all my baggage; especially the not knowingness of MS.
          I have really learned to jump out of my comfort zone and live in a developing country where MS is not on the radar for common diseases! That has made me learn to take better care of myself. It has challenged me many times as I struggle to manage heat. My husband is my rock and he knows being here is my dream but is ok with the possibility of having to return to the states if need be.

I have to say I worked hard to be where I am but it does feel like a dream at times!
          Hi redopal

Thank you for sharing your story!

I found it to be very engaging, and hope you will continue to share with us.

Wishing you the best!

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
          X