Circulation and m.s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circulation and m.s.

Hi,I’ve noticed my right foot is red lately.I also have drop foot.Is circulation problems and m.s. go together?Does anybody experience this?Thank you

I don't personally have that problem, but I've read that it can be an issue.

Here's an article that describes some symptoms and offers some tips.

https://www.msfocusmagazine.org/Maga...ation-Boosters
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yes I have this only it’s my left foot. I’m afraid it’s all MS related and there’s not a darned thing we can do about it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and not sounding very optimistic. It’s got to do with the nerves that automatically increase or decrease blood flow to the extremities. I find it all too hard to understand completely and maybe someone else can shed more light on it. Just letting you know it’s not just you.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
        Hi,I’ve noticed my right foot is red lately.I also have drop foot.Is circulation problems and m.s. go together?Does anybody experience this?Thank you
        Hi Dave ~

My entire right side is affected by MS and I have foot drop too, along with a red (sometimes purplish when cold) right foot. My right hand becomes discolored also.

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
        It’s got to do with the nerves that automatically increase or decrease blood flow to the extremities.
        I agree with oceanpride, and believe that this has to do with MS affecting the autonomic nervous system.

Elevating my legs in the recliner several times during the day is helpful.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for all who responded.This m.s. is not fun

Comment

It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My pcp was alarmed and had me take a test for PAD (peripheral arterial disease) using an ultrasound. Everything checked out OK.

I elevate my right leg and foot during the day too. I also have Raynauds causing poor circulation. Exercise is good, but for me it's pretty limited.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have this too, on the side where my spasticity is worse.

Comment

Hi Carlyle,

I read the initial post and identified with your observation but hoped others would comment.

Simply was not sure that my MS was related to exactly what you described.

I noticed this red foot / cold foot problem once. On my MS affected side also. It lasted for maybe a month or so. That was over a year ago. Once and done? It returned to normal and has been so ever since although at times both feet are cold. Most likely a circulation problem.

One comment... Many who responded are PPMS, like me. Doubt this means anything.

Jer

Comment

Left side is my bad side. During winter months both legs,but mostly left are like boat anchors and cold

Ten years ago ended up with blood clotting in the left leg. Veins dried out, and clotting in the pelvic area. So I have to really keep an eye on my leg.

Comment

Hi Carlyle.

Before assuming it’s due to a circulation problem and\or MS please see your PCP to rule in\out any other health issue.

I have experienced swollen, red, and very painful feet. Both feet at the same time.

This happened twice as part of exacerbations, no steroids were used.
                    My feet stayed that way until the exacerbation resolved. Then my feet went back to normal and it never happened again.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have red (purplish) feet , it’s circulation problem because my mobility is impacted
                      If I use my feet massage then after 20 minutes , color changes back to normal

Comment

Red,swollen and ice cold feet

I just brought this up to my nuro. Yes it is MS’s fault.
                        same as Ocean it’s worse on my left side. My right leg spasms most, mostly in bed. End up alone a lot by morning. We make a joke of it, otherwise, well who knows.
                        Loved how someone said “dropped anchor” that’s exactly how it feels sometimes.
                        I personally have hot flashes run around the house 1/2 dressed with my feet bundled in fuzzy socks and slippers because they are freezing.
                        Nuro suggestion is a foot boot to keep my right foot up instead.hmmmmm we’ll see.

Comment

Working...
                        X