MS & Insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & Insomnia

I've been experiencing bouts of insomnia lately. I've spoken to my PCP and he's adjusting my venlaflaxine dosage. Can I take unisom (as needed) on venlaflaxine? Is an occassional sleep aid alright if I'm on an anti-depressant?

I've been reading that many folks here are dealing with insomnia too. So, I thought I'd reach out to seek input from my fellow MSers to see what helps them.

Thanks for sharing your tips with me!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I'll be interested to see what others do or know too. I've had insomnia for quite a while and am not really wanting to add yet another prescription drug to my already large arsenal, so I was thinking of a sleeping aid and wondered if my anti-depressants might not be such a good mix with them.
    Wendy
    "There are signs everywhere...."
    "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

Comment

I don't know about the med you mentioned, but I do know that I took Clonazepam for years and was always told I could take it with other things as long as I waited a couple hours between them. I recently went off the Clonazepam and the neuro recommended Unisom or Melatonin. The Melatonin has not done much for me, but the Unisom works. At least it works sometimes. There are nights that are total washouts.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Holy Basil for Insomnia

Greetings,

I have taken melatonin and it doesn't do a lot as far as making me sleepy, plus, I have read that taking it too often will interfere with the body's natural production of melatonin. For me, and also a friends who has insomnia for a different reason, there is a supplement that works better called 'Holy Basil'. We have both had great success with it.

Good Luck!
        Steph

Comment

Originally posted by flynace67 View Post
          Greetings,

I have taken melatonin and it doesn't do a lot as far as making me sleepy, plus, I have read that taking it too often will interfere with the body's natural production of melatonin. For me, and also a friends who has insomnia for a different reason, there is a supplement that works better called 'Holy Basil'. We have both had great success with it.

Good Luck!
          Steph
          I hadn't heard of Holy Basil. Thanks for the suggestion.

My functional medicine doctor does not recommend Melatonin, probably for those reasons. He suggests Valerian instead. I try to avoid Rx sleep meds.

Other techniques I use include:
          - 478 breathing technique (Google it or find it on YouTube)
          - I go to my "happy place"
          - I use meditation techniques, I notice my breath (listen to it, feel your chest or your diaphragm move up and down, etc)
          • - relax the top of your head, then your eyes, then your face, etc. Slowly work your way down to your toes.
          • - notice the "points of contact" between your body and the bed. Start at your head and work your way down.
          • - for these meditation ideas, try the Headspace app. It's free for 10 days; then it's expensive. Use it during the day to learn how to meditate, then do it on your own / without the app.

- count slowly. 5 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 5
          - say the serenity prayer
          - sing a lullaby or other simple, soothing song in your head.

Consider using more than one method and switching between methods. I sometimes switch every 20 or so seconds. It keeps my mind focused on simple, calming things and keeps my mind from wandering to events of today or tomorrow, or to worries.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X