Would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you?

I still get around ok. I may not have much energy and have some pain and really prefer not to get into a boiling car parked in the middle of summer sun but still 'ok'.
    My problem is that if i go to larger towns and shop in their larger shopping centres and i can't find a park in the same area that i am used to i forget where my car is and some times have to deal with the heat.

My son thinks i should get a disabled sticker so i can park in the disabled parking areas.

i don't know if i would meet the criteria and as well I am quite proud and not sure i want to take advantage of something that some may be judgemental about.

i see my neuro next month and wondered if ms world members could share their opinions about whether or not i should ask?

When did other take this step?

Thanks.

Hi Carolinemf.

I agree with your son. Do what you need to do for yourself and ignore people who have no understanding or knowledge of your circumstances.

Parking that much closer to your location can save you energy and allow you to enjoy getting out more.

I have had a Handicap Placard and/or Plate shortly after diagnosis at the age of 23, I'm 58 now. At my follow up appointment after receiving my diagnosis I jokingly asked my Neurologist if this means I qualify for a Handicap Parking(placard/Plate), his answer was yes. I was shocked and told him I was joking and he told me my MS diagnosis qualifies me. Unless someone knew me you would think there was nothing wrong, but I dealt with mobility issues, muscle fatigue, heat intolerance, balance, and more.

not sure i want to take advantage of something that some may be judgemental about.
    Through the years I have found many people to be judgmental. I have had so many people through the years confront me it's ridiculous. It's their judgmental opinion without knowledge. I have learned to simply ignore people who choose to voice an opinion about something they know nothing about. I don't even try to explain, it doesn't make a difference any way...in my experience.

People can be judgmental all they want but they do not walk or try to walk in my or your shoes
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
      i see my neuro next month and wondered if ms world members could share their opinions about whether or not i should ask?
      Carolinemf

Yes, get your disability parking permit!

Don't waste any of your emotional energy worrying about what others think.

When did others take this step?
      I got my placard when I started wondering if it would help me to lessen some of the struggle of living with MS, much like you are doing now.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes you should. It's an option, use it if you need it. If you're feeling spunky you can always park further out.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Since you do have problems, I would. It doesn't mean you always have to use it. In cooler months or short trips and a good day, you can park elsewhere. But having it will give you peace of mind when you do need to use it.

Some people may be judgemental, but that is their problem. I think some people are cynical by nature.

So get it and enjoy being out more.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Yes

I still get around ok. I may not have much energy and have some pain and really prefer not to get into a boiling car parked in the middle of summer sun but still 'ok'.
            My problem is that if i go to larger towns and shop in their larger shopping centres and i can't find a park in the same area that i am used to i forget where my car is and some times have to deal with the heat.

My son thinks i should get a disabled sticker so i can park in the disabled parking areas.

i don't know if i would meet the criteria and as well I am quite proud and not sure i want to take advantage of something that some may be judgemental about.

You should get it,it will help.You need to conserve energy

Comment

I took the step of getting / using a placard after noticing leg weakness after exercise and the need to still run a few errands before returning home.

I recommend the license plate as opposed to the placard. I forget to hang my placard on rearview mirror occasionally. it happens.

One Sunday afternoon, a PA state trooper in an unmarked vehicle knocks on my front door. He has documentation: my DL, license plate, photo of my truck parked in a handicapped spot at the therapy pool! Some one went online , downloaded the photo, made a complaint which the trooper, by law, has to follow up on! Trooper apologized profusely, gave me the obligatory warning and asked that I try to remember next time.

Its a sad world we live in that the citizen who took all this time to report me could simply have gone inside and made a comment. Everyone knows everyone, or even leave a note, even a nasty note! Most of us have good intentions but sometimes forget.

I recommend the license plate as opposed to the placard.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                I took the step of getting / using a placard after noticing leg weakness after exercise and the need to still run a few errands before returning home.

I recommend the license plate as opposed to the placard. I forget to hang my placard on rearview mirror occasionally. it happens.

One Sunday afternoon, a PA state trooper in an unmarked vehicle knocks on my front door. He has documentation: my DL, license plate, photo of my truck parked in a handicapped spot at the therapy pool! Some one went online , downloaded the photo, made a complaint which the trooper, by law, has to follow up on! Trooper apologized profusely, gave me the obligatory warning and asked that I try to remember next time.

Its a sad world we live in that the citizen who took all this time to report me could simply have gone inside and made a comment. Everyone knows everyone, or even leave a note, even a nasty note! Most of us have good intentions but sometimes forget.

I recommend the license plate as opposed to the placard.
                You can actually get both in PA. My parents had the plate, but each had a placard so if they were a passenger in someone else's car, they could use it.

Sorry you had to go thru that. It always amazes me when people do things like that rather than just handling it face to face.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Where I live, you can only get the plate OR the placard (we get two placards) I chose the placard because it goes with you in whatever the car you are riding in. Sometimes, I shop with a friend and we can use the placard in her car.

We also have two cars and depending on which car we use, I'm covered.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

BTW, Caroline, get what you need!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I got the placard when I started having balance issues and weakness and I was using a cane.
                      I have a placard and plate.

I agree, you should get the placard and not worry what someone may think.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

By 502E79

Agreed. It is way too easy these days to push buttons and implicate people without knowing the whole story. Thank you for the reminder that we should try to interact with our fellow citizens rather than doing all business in our phones. It builds community and costs taxpayers less money too.

All the best, ~G

Comment

Yes; you should get one.

For years, I only used one, as you suggested, in large parking lots in big cities. I rarely used it my home community of less than 20.000 population.

As my MS has progressed, I use it much more.
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I think you should get it! Then you have the option to use it when you need it, and not use it when you don't think you need it.

Comment

Hi again all.
                              thank you for the advice/replies.

Still a little undecided but mostly because i live in a town of under 3000 and the idea of displaying a disabled sticker (even if not used locally)would put me in radar zone of the local busy bodies. I always try to fly under this particular radar.

snoopy its interesting that diagnosis qualifies not edss score

Boudeaux what does 'spunky' mean state side? Spritely?

Mamabug 20.000 is a large town here

502E79 this is exactly why i hate face book. People get to rag on others and remain anonymous. I have seen alot of small businesses caused grief by these kind of trolls. The negative are always loader than the positive.
                              Gargantua is dead right- we should try to interact with our fellow citizens rather than doing all business in our phones. It builds community

Comment

Working...
                              X