Exercise and Mood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise and Mood

Have you found that light exercise improves your mood overall? After too long sitting on my rump, I feel much more alert, engaged, and happy. I've learned, with your help, not to over-do it. That has made all the difference, and I thank all of you so much for that. Yesterday, I took a break. That sounds so simple, but it took your telling me to do it to see the value in it. Taking a very short break before you go beyond the point of no return means you can keep going and then feel pretty good after, too! Should I admit to being awed by that simple truth at my advanced age? How did I live this long being so stupid? Haha

I'm not suggesting that exercise will cure clinical depression. Please don't think I'm saying that. Getting the right amount of exercise really does improve everything, though. It's difficult to slow down and accept the new limitations, and I spent too long thinking that I had to do more than I could for it to have any real value. But once I accepted it, wow!

This is why peer-to-peer boards are so valuable, and why saying the same positive things over and over again isn't wasted energy. I've been here for years, and I finally "heard" what you've been saying. ❤️

MMMMS, I am so glad to hear you are feeling better since backing down on your exercise! Yes, light exercise can improve mood. I always feel better, physically and emotionally when I exercise even if it's only a little bit of exercise.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Yes, light exercise can improve mood. I always feel better, physically and emotionally when I exercise even if it's only a little bit of exercise.
      Agree!

Besides helping mentally and emotionally, exercise is beneficial to our other bodily systems such as: cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, musculoskeletal.

I do exercise daily, within my capabilities. It gives me a little sense of having some control over my life.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My world went on tilt when I finally got my clinical diagnosis of MS.
        I have had to face many challenges because of my new normal.
        I went from being exhausted walking 10 yards, to walking about 2-3+ miles a day, that being my old normal routine.
        it took over 2 years, but I'm back, not as good as new, but new normal.
        Exercise is the key to keeping this disease from whipping my butt.
        I don't like the new me but, I've learned to accept it.
        I feel it has changed me into a kinder, more appreciative person.
        Exercise keeps me limber and alive.

Comment

I feel my daily exercise in the pool is the most important element of my self-care. Even on harder days, I am better during and after water workout.

I agree with all that is being said here. I wholeheartedly support anyone with MS who does as much as she or he can to keep moving. Don't give up!
          Stay lifted,
          Mermaid Susan
          "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

I think for women in particular exercise can be amazing. I believe it lifts the mood, increases energy and when we feel fit and strong I also think our self esteem is better, that we feel emotionally powerful too.

Plus I can eat more. Win:Win.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I definitely agree that exercise (even if a little movement is all someone can manage at the time) is beneficial for mood! The hard part, for me anyway, is actually getting started and doing it even if I know I'll feel better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                After too long sitting on my rump, I feel much more alert, engaged, and happy...

Getting the right amount of exercise really does improve everything, though.
                Truth. .....
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by conansmom View Post
                  My world went on tilt when I finally got my clinical diagnosis of MS.
                  I have had to face many challenges because of my new normal.
                  I went from being exhausted walking 10 yards, to walking about 2-3+ miles a day, that being my old normal routine.
                  it took over 2 years, but I'm back, not as good as new, but new normal.
                  Exercise is the key to keeping this disease from whipping my butt.
                  I don't like the new me but, I've learned to accept it.
                  I feel it has changed me into a kinder, more appreciative person.
                  Exercise keeps me limber and alive.
                  Conansmom, welcome!

I see this is your first post. Thanks for sharing. Yes; new normals are something we need to find and adjust to from time to time.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Definitely. I had been trying to walk 6 days a week and finally was a real habit. If I didn't, I was antsy. I wound up with a stomach bug, missed 3 days, then the weather and other commitments interfered. So I went a week with only one walk. I really felt it, both physically and mentally.

I struggle with fatigue, but have found that exercise lessens it. I used to look at the neuro like he had 3 heads when he would tell me that. Little by little I increased the duration and distance. I hit a point where it stopped making me feel worse and actually made me feel better. But gradual was the key.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Had great results

Nothing has ever helped my depression as much as exercise. My depression is very mild really and obviously it’s different for everyone, and exercise alone won’t help everyone but I think in most cases it definitely elevates mood and helps at least a bit.

Comment

Nicktimus,

I agree wholeheartedly. My exercise has two anti-depressant impacts:
                        1). When I move strongly enough, those endorphins kick in, and I feel GOOD like I know I should.
                        2). When I go to the health club every morning, including the bad days, I know I am doing my best for self-care. It's affirming of my value to myself.

Keep on keeping on.
                        Stay lifted,
                        Mermaid Susan
                        "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
                        X