Help I’ve fallen and can’t get up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help I’ve fallen and can’t get up

This is happening more.It is so hard to get off the floor.Any body got advice how to get up?My poor dw struggles to pull me up.

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
    This is happening more.It is so hard to get off the floor.Any body got advice how to get up?My poor dw struggles to pull me up.
    Hi Dave ~

Sorry to learn about your falls.

When do your falls mostly occur? During transfers or while walking?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Transfer Is the problem

Comment

I had a couple of falls last year. It’s awful not to be able to get up. My husband finally managed to get me up moving me in stages, first to a low ottoman, then to a chair. It was really difficult, especially since he has shoulder problems.

We found a used Hoyer lift on Craigslist and bought it. After watching YouTube videos I thought he could probably do it. We’ve used it a couple of times and it’s been a real lifesaver.

Comment

Hoyer lift

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
          I had a couple of falls last year. It’s awful not to be able to get up. My husband finally managed to get me up moving me in stages, first to a low ottoman, then to a chair. It was really difficult, especially since he has shoulder problems.

We found a used Hoyer lift on Craigslist and bought it. After watching YouTube videos I thought he could probably do it. We’ve used it a couple of times and it’s been a real lifesaver.
          Kmallory1 Is the lift easy to move through doorway?Dave

Comment

Yes, the lift is easy to move through doorways. The long horizontal parts at floor level move closer together making it narrower to move. Then you press a pedal to widen them back out to make it more stable for using it. If you have to turn to maneuver into a small space it might be a problem because of the length.

I fell in a small bathroom. My husband had to slide me out to get to a space where he could use the lift. We have hardwood floors so that wasn’t too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
              Transfer Is the problem
              I am unable to transfer from wheelchair to another chair, shower chair, toilet, etc. (and vice versa) due to balance issues and weakness on my entire right side.

Fortunately though, I am still able to stand up and grab the rollator after I rise from the sitting position. I need the rollator straight in front of me, to hold on to with both hands, in order to have any sense of balance.

So, I am able to 'back up' to my shower chair, recliner, toilet, etc. while holding on to my rollator, which I am very thankful to be able to do yet, since I do live alone.

In any case, I sure hope you and your DW are able to find a safe transfer solution, Dave.

Take Care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
              X