Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mri results-whatdoes this mean?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have been experiencing symptoms of MS for 7 years and only recently began looking into a cause. I have started having resting tremors sporadically in each hand and that got me an apt with the neurologist. My exam showed left hemephereis and asymetric lower extremeties hyperflexia. He did not seem very convinced but ended up ordering an MRI with contrast and flair. The results say everything looks normal except 'asymetric ventricles with right side enlargment, most likely not of concern' and 'no explanation for symptoms'. My symptoms include everything written about MS including having lost the ability to lift or carry any weight with my left arm since 2012. I have had all blood testing done to rule out Lyme etc... Any thoughts or insight would be very appreciated!! Thank you, Amy

Hello blissfulmama and welcome to MSWorld

I don't know what your MRI results mean but it does not sound like a MRI that is seen in MS. Unfortunately, there is no symptom that is exclusive to MS. Many other conditions and vitamin/mineral deficiencies can cause symptoms similar to those seen in MS. You might try and work with your Primary Care Physician for possible answers.

Best wishes...
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi blissfulmama and welcome to the message boards. There are many people, here, who know a lot about MS . I don't know much but I suggest that you get a Complete Blood Count (CBC) from your lab. INCLUDING VITAMIN D LEVEL ! Vitamin D levels are typically low , sometimes dangerously low, in most adults. Don't take my word for this. Look it up ! Ask your PCP ! And ask your PCP how many patients he or she has treated for vitamin D toxicity ! My doctor never treated anyone for toxicity . He has treated hundreds of patients with low values !
      That's my story and I'm sticking to it ! Good luck

Comment

Thank you for your advice and insight! I have had multiple blood count tests, rheumatoid testing, x-rays, ultrasounds and more all to figure out the cause of the pains and problems. My Neuro believes I have fibromyalgia but had wanted to rule out MS as I guess fibro diagnosing goes, it's emilinating all other causes. I recently learned the connection between fibro/MS, fibro results from upper motor neurons miscommunicating while in MS your body is actually attacking the protective lining around your neurons causing similar symptoms. Best of luck to all of you, thanks again.

Comment

* I just wanted to clarify in my previous post that what I read about fibromyalgia is the miscommunication between Upper and Lower motor neurons (not just the upper). Anyone with experience know if I would have still 'failed' parts of the neurologist exam having fibromyalgia?

Thanks again and best wishes to everyone. Amy ❤️

Comment

Hello Amy,

Sorry I cannot answer your question, however, I recall reading about a new blood test which is fairly conclusive about diagnosing fibromyalgia and here is the link if you wish read about it...

Groundbreaking blood test detects fibromyalgia

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324735.php

Best wishes!

Comment

Hi Amy,

Keep strong - it can be a long road to a diagnosis of any kind. It may be wise to also ask for a cspine and or tspine MRI if they didn't already do one. Sometimes you can have MS and not have any brain lesions - certainly not as common, but that's what happened with me!

Comment

blissfulmama, I read all that you posted. Still didn't see that you know your Vitamin D levels ! Mine are in the 50's . You, probably, need to get your levels to that point. Try it. You just may like how you feel . Good luck

Comment

Hello again,

Thanks for your thoughts/help! I am having an MRI of my spine in a couple days and also looking to rule out cauda equina. My vitamin D has been checked and rechecked, always very low and supplements are not helping but my doc seems to think it's more than that. I have read in my search for answers that many believe low vitamin D levels contribute in some way to the development of MS, such a tricky disease!! Hope to have more info soon and best wishes to you! Amy

Comment

Blissfulmama:
                    I'm not a good resource for interpreting MRI results. But I do want to welcome you here!
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey surprise! A dope like me guessed that you were vitamin D deficient ! And you are !! How 'bout that ! Now let me guess . Your doctor suggested that you get more sun . And take some vitamin D supplements. I have played this game, before ! I, also, had back surgery to relieve cauda equina ! And I was deficient of vitamin D !
                      I suggest that you begin to supplement with lesser doses of vitamin D. Like 1000 i.u., once or twice daily. Then, after a month , get your levels done at the lab. If your levels reach near 30, you will, probably, feel a positive difference . And you will need to continue to take vitamin D at the same dose, for maintenance !

I take 1- 5000 i.u. pill daily and my levels have been above 50 for several years ! My doctor played around with my dosing. Told me to take 1000, 2000, and 3000 iu's daily ! That didn't do squat. I bumped those dosages to 5000 iu's daily. Then, I began to see a change in my levels. The trick is TEST, DO A MONTH ON THE DOSE, TEST AGAIN !
                      Docs don't want to do the tests because they get push back from the insurance companies because vitamin D tests are costly. You have to argue for this . Good luck

Comment

Fibro test

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
                        Hello Amy,

Sorry I cannot answer your question, however, I recall reading about a new blood test which is fairly conclusive about diagnosing fibromyalgia and here is the link if you wish read about it...

Groundbreaking blood test detects fibromyalgia

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324735.php

Best wishes!
                        There has been a fibro blood test on the market for quite some time. I had one done several years ago that came back positive, though I don't think it's accurate, I'll be honest. Yes, my insurance paid for it.

https://fmtest.com/

Carey

Comment

Originally posted by blissfulmama View Post
                          Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have been experiencing symptoms of MS for 7 years and only recently began looking into a cause. I have started having resting tremors sporadically in each hand and that got me an apt with the neurologist. My exam showed left hemephereis and asymetric lower extremeties hyperflexia. He did not seem very convinced but ended up ordering an MRI with contrast and flair. The results say everything looks normal except 'asymetric ventricles with right side enlargment, most likely not of concern' and 'no explanation for symptoms'. My symptoms include everything written about MS including having lost the ability to lift or carry any weight with my left arm since 2012. I have had all blood testing done to rule out Lyme etc... Any thoughts or insight would be very appreciated!! Thank you, Amy
                          Have you been evaluated for Parkinson's?

Carey

Comment

Originally posted by blissfulmama View Post
                            My vitamin D ... very low and supplements are not helping ...
                            The usual dose of Vitamin D in multivitamins is 400 IU. My D levels were very low and I started with 10,000 IU daily. It took a couple of years to get to the top of the lab's range so now I've cut back to 5,000 IU daily.
                            My conclusion is that for me, raising Vitamin D levels took time and starting with quite a large dose to get going was a good idea. Starting with a smallish dose and testing too quickly could possibly yield a "not helping" conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                            X