Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seem to have stopped sleeping completely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seem to have stopped sleeping completely.

Has anyone just stopped sleeping? This last week reminds me of when I was first diagnosed. There came a time when I just plain quit sleeping all together. Oh I get a few naps here and there, but never thru the night! I've taken Ambien, Melatonin, Unisom etc. Some nights nothing works and sometimes I get an hour or so. I should be absolutely exhausted today, but strangely I am not. I'm tired.. no doubt. But I would expect to be dragging around, without any energy. The worst thing is that my eyes hurt.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about this total lack of sleep.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I haven't had that problem. What I've had is nights that I swore I was awake all night. I think it's just bad sleep, though, because if I really were awake for 8 hours and just laying there, something would ache. What is it about sleep that lets us lay there so long and nothing hurts? Try to lay there awake for less time and we're a mess of aches.

Comment

Sleep problems

Hi Marti I also have problems sleeping.I have very poor sleep every night.Its to the point I dread going to bed.My mind starts racing thoughts The minute I lay down

Comment

I can only remember two times in my life that I didn't sleep all night.
        - One was related to work, when I knew I'd need to make a phone call to DCF the next day in a situation related to the safety of a child. I really liked the parent and believed she was doing the best she could.
        - One was the night after I found out my mom had cancer; it was terminal and she had only a few months to live.

Both were prior to MS. I've had some nights, after MS, when I didn't sleep well. I remember iv solumedrol. Maybe only 20 minutes in 24 hours.

Now, I usually sleep well. Valerian helps a lot. Sometimes I take a Nature's Sunshine supplement that helps with anxiety. Even when I don't feel anxious. My doctor believes anxiety is usually what keeps us awake, even when we don't realize it.
        - Melatonin doesn't work for me and I avoid Rx meds as much as possible.

Most nights, I consciously use relaxation, meditation and breathing techniques. They help me focus my mind on my breath and on body awareness so that my mind doesn't wander into busy-ness.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hallelujah.... I took a whole Unisom last night and slept all night! I fell asleep on the couch again, watching tv. Missed most of the show. Woke up almost disoriented. Guess I was surprised I was sleeping so soundly. Then I went to bed, took the Unisom and had a better night. My neuro refuses to allow me any kind of Benzo's because I am 68 years old. I think he's afraid of being sued if something goes wrong. Those meds are the only ones that have ever helped me and without any side effects! I wish I could get into the meditation, but I just don't have the willpower or concentration for it. I even get lost while praying. I lose my train of thought right away.... drift around in my own thoughts. So meditation and breathing exercises are out for me. Thanks again.
          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            Has anyone just stopped sleeping? This last week reminds me of when I was first diagnosed. There came a time when I just plain quit sleeping all together. Oh I get a few naps here and there, but never thru the night! I've taken Ambien, Melatonin, Unisom etc. Some nights nothing works and sometimes I get an hour or so. I should be absolutely exhausted today, but strangely I am not. I'm tired.. no doubt. But I would expect to be dragging around, without any energy. The worst thing is that my eyes hurt.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about this total lack of sleep.
            Yes! I can go days at a time and I'm not talking about poor sleep. I'm talking no sleep. Than after several days, I get accident prone, I drop things, trip, it's hard for me to concentrate on anything, noise, any kind is annoying after a while, even my favorite song or show.

I've taken medications, eliminated electronics, all of the tricks, and I've not found anything that makes it better, when I'm having this as a problem. I've learned not to be angry (no more flipping and beating my pillow) I try to accept it as best as I can, I tend to stay still when its happening, not entirely of course, but I do limit what I do, because it is a fact for me, that I'm super clumsy and my husband and I both agree, we don't want to make things worse.

When I start to sleep again, ANY sleep, I'm so thankful! This is a real problem! The people that tell you if you just lay down, you will fall asleep (my mom's favorite, bless her heart) It just doesn't happen!

Lately, it seems to be happening less. But i'm just not a good sleeper, and I can't nap either. One of the best vacations of my life was when my son was less than a year old and we structured our schedule around his afternoon nap and we all fell asleep. Imagine my pleasant surprise we I woke up. My husband and I still talk about that time and my son will be 27 in a few days.

I will get a few hours out of benedryl, at least I think it helps, I only take it once a year on vacation to try to fall asleep before everyone else, because no matter how late I go to sleep, I'll be up at the crack of dawn, trying to lay there until everyone else gets up.

I hope that your body allows you some rest, Ill be praying for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
              Yes! I can go days at a time and I'm not talking about poor sleep. I'm talking no sleep. Than after several days, I get accident prone, I drop things, trip, it's hard for me to concentrate on anything, noise, any kind is annoying after a while, even my favorite song or show.

I've taken medications, eliminated electronics, all of the tricks, and I've not found anything that makes it better, when I'm having this as a problem. I've learned not to be angry (no more flipping and beating my pillow) I try to accept it as best as I can, I tend to stay still when its happening, not entirely of course, but I do limit what I do, because it is a fact for me, that I'm super clumsy and my husband and I both agree, we don't want to make things worse.

When I start to sleep again, ANY sleep, I'm so thankful! This is a real problem! The people that tell you if you just lay down, you will fall asleep (my mom's favorite, bless her heart) It just doesn't happen!

Lately, it seems to be happening less. But i'm just not a good sleeper, and I can't nap either. One of the best vacations of my life was when my son was less than a year old and we structured our schedule around his afternoon nap and we all fell asleep. Imagine my pleasant surprise we I woke up. My husband and I still talk about that time and my son will be 27 in a few days.

I will get a few hours out of benedryl, at least I think it helps, I only take it once a year on vacation to try to fall asleep before everyone else, because no matter how late I go to sleep, I'll be up at the crack of dawn, trying to lay there until everyone else gets up.

I hope that your body allows you some rest, Ill be praying for ya!

Tia.. do you think this is related to MS in any way? Thanks for your story. It's good to know other people deal with this, although I would not wish it on anyone.
              Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
                Hi Marti I also have problems sleeping.I have very poor sleep every night.Its to the point I dread going to bed.My mind starts racing thoughts The minute I lay down

Carlyle my exact problem is a racing mind. I can't stop my thoughts from jumping from one to the other. It's like there's a switch that turns on when I lay down in bed. I'm sure this is related to anxiety.
                Marti

Comment

Half of those living with multiple sclerosis have sleep disorders such as sleep apnea or insomnia.

http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/sleep-tight/

Comment

Tia.. do you think this is related to MS in any way? Thanks for your story. It's good to know other people deal with this, although I would not wish it on anyone.
                    To be honest, I've never associated it with MS. I've not given much thought to it, really all my thought has been on trying to sleep.

Do you think its related?

Comment

... do you think this is related to MS in any way? ...
                      My thought about any symptom is that, although we can't assume that it is MS-related, and, we need to rule out other causes, we also need to assume that, because MS is neurological and our brain controls everything, it might be related to MS.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Anxiety is the biggest contributor in my opinion.
                        Had huge problems with this- just the way you all have described- until i worked out a regime that suited me.
                        MS probably doesn't cause the insomnia directly but the stress of worrying about 'things', to do with coping with symptoms and life in general contributes to the anxiety and this causes the inability to sleep.

Unfortunately my regime has gone out the window of late and the stress levels have increased regardless so i may have to up my meds. Have gone 2 nights without a wink.
                        Brain can't function and am very clumsy. I have just started minding grandaughter one day aweek so need to get under control so i can enjoy this time and it isn't a struggle.
                        Seems i battle depression more and more. Sometimes is easier to just sink into the quicksand than go on fighting. This constant melancholy makes even the most basic of tasks a insurmountable chore and the feeling of being alone or a burden to loved ones is ever present.

Sorry if i'm being a sad sack.
                        Marti your grief for Sam will be contributing i think.

I hope we all improve soon.
                        Thanks for listening.

Comment

I hardly slept at all last night and am feeling really off today. Maybe I caught 15 - 20 minutes at a time.

I usually wake up every night for about an hour and read even though I take a sleep aid. This seems to help me focus on the characters lives and circumstances instead of thinking about mine. It didn't work last night.

We had a party with most of our large family last night and I think I got overstimulated.??

I feel for you, Marti and others where insomnia is a common occurrence. And Caroline, I'm sorry you are down in the dumps. Are you taking anything for your depression and anxiety?

I am, but with no sleep last night I am feeling down today.
                          Maybe I can try to nap today.
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha and Carolinemf hope you all get a good night sleep tonight

Comment

Thanks Carlyl. And Seasha. I am sorry you are having issues too.
                              unfortunately it's 5.45am here and i haven't had 10 minutes yet.
                              Got out of bed early (2.30am) and went to work instead of wasting time tossing n turning.
                              Have bubby today so i better drink some coffee.

I have been pretty good for years now but we have some worries at present and there are some things i must attend to but am dreading and so avoiding because i am concerned about making errors. It's not fair on my husband so i feel guilty as well.

I have been taking paroxetine for about 18 months now. It seemed to improve things for a while.
                              Maybe the dosage needs adjusting.
                              I used to wake about 1 1/2 hours after going to bed with all these 'things', responsibilities,errands, ideas and concerns running through my head and just couldn't sleep any more.
                              The funny thing was that my thoughts were clearer and more organised then than when i wanted it to be. I started leaving a note pad and pen beside the bed to write things down
                              From what i have read this is fairly typical of anxiety.

I hope you enjoyed the party. Some times important things, even nice ones can stress me out.
                              Overstimulated and thinking back on conversations etc after too.
                              Hope you get your nap and it perks you up

Comment

Working...
                              X