Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating healthy ways to enhance your life- Member topic of the month is back! 4/2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating healthy ways to enhance your life- Member topic of the month is back! 4/2019

Yes! Member Topic of the Month is back!

(You will find us in the Q and A forum at the top above the sticky threads)

Striving to keep a healthy outlook and healthy body while living with MS is so important. What creative ways are you using to enhance your happiness, positive outlook, and physical or mental health? Please join us and share your ideas on what you use and enjoy!

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more topics from your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...TH-suggestions!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Although I contributed to coming up with this topic, my answer is not all what I had in mind when I proposed a similar question. These are just the things I'm focused on thinking about today. I added this paragraph before I posted because I got so wordy but didn't know how to shorten it.

Please go any direction that "fits" you with this question.

I've also been reading about the Blue Zones a book by Dan Buettner, that studies centarians, people who live to 100+ years.

Some things they have in common are:
    - Moderate, regular physical activity.
    - Life purpose.
    - Stress reduction.
    - Moderate caloric intake.
    - Plant-based diet.
    - Moderate alcohol intake, especially wine.
    - Engagement in spirituality or religion.
    - Engagement in family life.
    - Engagement in social life.

So, to answer the question, I'm trying to work on many of these. I'm working on writing a memoir, I'm attending a group where each person is working on defining our life purpose, I try to prevent stress by cultivating joy, I'm trying to pursue living a healthy lifestyle (diet and exercise),and I'm active in (and enjoy) church activities, I have family and friends, I plan "self-care" activities, etc.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Striving to keep a healthy outlook and healthy body while living with MS is so important. What creative ways are you using to enhance your happiness, positive outlook, and physical or mental health? Please join us and share your ideas on what you use and enjoy!
      I’m RRMS and still working..people wouldn’t know I had MS unless I told them.

The thing that has helped me the most recently: In the last couple of years I’ve picked up some yoga and meditation, each have shown me how to leave “stuff” behind for a spell. Any negative thoughts, anger, worry, work troubles, etc.

It’s not about pretending they aren’t there; it’s more like putting them aside to focus on wellbeing.

Sometimes just doing either activity for a few moments is enough to bring life back into perspective, and what’s important. Suddenly those things taking up so much mental attention can become non-issues.

The more I do this, the more proficient I have become at it. Perhaps some of this is wisdom from getting older

Maybe there are others here who practice yoga or meditation who can attest to these benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMan View Post

The thing that has helped me the most recently: In the last couple of years I’ve picked up some yoga and meditation ...

Maybe there are others here who practice yoga or meditation who can attest to these benefits.
        I attend chair yoga once a week. When I've tried other yoga, I'm mostly not coordinated or flexible enough.

I use meditation at night. It helps to keep my mind from being busy. When I concentrate on my breathing or meditate in other ways, I can relax and fall asleep more quickly.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The thing that has helped me the most recently: In the last couple of years I’ve picked up some yoga and meditation, each have shown me how to leave “stuff” behind for a spell. Any negative thoughts, anger, worry, work troubles, etc.

It’s not about pretending they aren’t there; it’s more like putting them aside to focus on wellbeing.

Sometimes just doing either activity for a few moments is enough to bring life back into perspective, and what’s important. Suddenly those things taking up so much mental attention can become non-issues.

The more I do this, the more proficient I have become at it. Perhaps some of this is wisdom from getting older

I agree, MisterMan - meditation and my yoga practice has a way of melting all the crap away.

Yes, it's important to find ways to maintain a healthy body and mind, but it's not always easy living with MS. Sometimes, I'm so overwhelmed, fatigued and feel frustrated that my body does not work so well that it affects my mental health.

Those days, I just take it easy and plan not to do too much, stay in my bathrobe till noon and read. Like cocooning myself until I'm ready to join the world again. But, it's OK - I just allow myself to feel this way.

One thing I've done to maintain good health is to stay away from toxic people, situations and the news. I just don't have the energy for this anymore.

The things that bring me a sense of peace is my yoga practice, working in my garden and yard and going on "walks" down country roads in my scooter. Babysitting for my toddler granddaughter bring me such joy! It's wears me out, but in a good way. Knitting is another way that brings me some balance to my life. A mindless activity in which to recuperate from daily stresses. A good healthy eating practice is upmost importance!

Comment

Yoga helps a lot and i think its a combination of the stretching, breathing and muscle strengthening. It forces you to concentrate on what you are doing right now, in the moment. I have never meditated as my mind just wanders on and I can't seem to calm it down but I can see the benefits.

The thing that led me to a healthier diet, more exercise and yoga was Jiu Jitsu. I wanted to get better on the mats so I found ways to be more limber, have better cardio and be stronger. It has helped me maintain my diet and even helped me with my patience. It's amazing how trying to stop someone from choking you unconscious will force you to deal with the here and now. I know it's not for everyone and there are some who simply cannot do it but it has helped me tremendously.

I also enjoy playing chess. I try to play at least one match with my son every night. I'm not that good at it but I enjoy the company and he seems to enjoy it. I would like to play more often but I don't know many people who play it.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

many things

Great subject.

I follow this eating and lifestyle plan: https://autoimmunewellness.com/
              I do water exercise 3 times per week
              I do Ai Chi (Tai Chi in warm water)
              I do yoga ball
              I do a strength training
              Balance and memory class (if you look up delay the disease it is a lot of that)
              I walk as much as my body allows
              Guided meditation
              Multiple Brain exercise apps
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                I also enjoy playing chess. I try to play at least one match with my son every night. I'm not that good at it but I enjoy the company and he seems to enjoy it. I would like to play more often but I don't know many people who play it.
                My local library has a chess board that often has people playing. Also, check for chess clubs in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
                  My local library has a chess board that often has people playing. Also, check for chess clubs in the area.
                  Thanks for the tips.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

another yoga plus

I agree with all the comments about the positive mental and emotional affects of yoga, but I wanted to mention how it also helped me with urinary retention. I was having a lot of urinary retention, but self-cathing caused painful bladder spasms. When I went to my next restorative yoga class, we rested with our legs up the wall. At the end of the pose, I felt a need to urinate and when I went to the toilet I had a huge release of urine. I've also found that if I'm having difficulty starting to urinate or feel that I haven't completely emptied my bladder, doing overhead stretches while I'm on the toilet will help my urethral sphincters relax. It has been 13 years since that initial episode of retention and I have been able to keep my residuals low enough that I have not needed to cath at all during that time.

Comment

Wow, dolule! This is such good news and hope others with this problem will read this and take note.
                      So glad this has helped you

Comment

I was just re-reading this entire thread. There's a lot of wisdom in MisterMan's post. Thanks!
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Every once in awhile, I re-read these Topic of the Month threads. I usually am motivated again, by reading them another time.

There are so many healthful habits that we can form. Moderate exercise, healthy diet, yoga or meditation, someone mentioned chess (yes! let's keep our minds active), etc.

Feel free to update your previous post on here, or add a post if you haven't posted anything yet. Staying as healthy as we can is something that we are all likely concerned about.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

While I do not outwardly appear to have MS it still has both physical and mental effects on me. No one, outside of my very immediate family knows. So I have drastically changed my attitude and actions toward outside stressors. I'm scrappy and assertive by nature and was never one to let people get away with stuff. But now I realize my health is more important than "being right" . I am constantly speaking the mantra of, " Mind over myelin, mind over myelin". I also try to repeat, " It doesn't affect me". These two mantras have had a drastic effect on my stress levels.

The other thing I do is spend a lot of time with my dog. She is a natural stress-reliever. She comes to work with me, camping, etc. She contributes to my physical and mental health in very real, positive ways.

My last well-being enhancer is reading. I've always enjoyed reading (about 2 books a week) but when Covid came and the world was a constant ball of stress I really tried to stay off -line and read more. It helps to live in an alternate reality if only for 20 or 30 minutes.
                            "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                            ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

my original:

I follow this eating and lifestyle plan: https://autoimmunewellness.com/
                              I do water exercise 3 times per week
                              I do Ai Chi (Tai Chi in warm water)
                              I do yoga ball
                              I do a strength training
                              Balance and memory class (if you look up delay the disease it is a lot of that)
                              I walk as much as my body allows
                              Guided meditation
                              Multiple Brain exercise apps​

Not to much has changed since my original post. I have concentrated on doing real jigsaw puzzles for the feeling of the puzzle pieces for the mind and body connect in that way. I also look up different cities on maps so that it stimulates that part of the brain.

I have been struggling with not letting stressors bother me. For the most part I am good at this. There is one or two areas that I struggle in. It comes from my strong work ethic and my need to teach people. It is getting to the point that I may not be able to teach some sets of people. I will keep working at not letting things bother me.

Comment

Working...
                              X