Cladribine approved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cladribine approved!

Another new treatment, Cladribine, was approved today.

https://www.neurologylive.com/clinic...le%20Sclerosis

Absolutely some of the best news EVER for pwMS!!!!!!

It will be noted that many MSers taking oral cladribine for a few days over the course of the first two years will not need to take any more for years. Some will require additional treatments, however, many will not.

Once MSers become familiar with this new oral I cannot imagine many choosing a different oral, including the other one approved this week, Mayzent.

IMO, this a great leap forward in the treatment of MS with an oral!

The following scientific article will be free for approx. another month due to the generosity of the authors. Even though it may not make much sense right now, people taking Cladribine in the future may want to have downloaded this for future reference. BTW, I would have provided a fantastic slide presentation explaining cladibine, what it is, how it is taken, etc. but it has already been pulled off the internet so please do not make the mistake of believing once something is presented on the internet it is there forever because it DEFINITELY is not.

Potential mechanisms of action related to the efficacy and safety of cladribine

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...2?dgcid=author

Quote... "Long-term suppression from a short-term treatment cycle
    These data suggest that as potentially pathogenic T and B cells, which repopulate slowly once cladribine treatment has been administered (Stuve et al., 2017, Ceronie et al., 2018), will recover in the presence of an environment containing CD4 T regulatory cells, and potentially CD8 T suppressor cells and B regulatory cells. This is likely to create an environment favouring the re-establishment of immune tolerance leading to long-term benefit and the lack of necessity to re-treat, unless there is disease breakthrough (Fig. 5. Comi et al., 2018, Giovannoni et al., 2018a). The durability of cladribine-induced No Evidence of Disease Activity (NEDA), will only be truly appreciated with increasing use and time. If there are similarities in disease control with alemtuzumab and HSCT then many people treated with cladribine tablets will remain disease-free for many years after treatment (Touhy et al. 2015), even once memory CD4 and B cells have reached normal levels as eventually occurs, as found with alemtuzumab, although they may have novel repertoires (Storek et al., 2004; Anderson et al., 2012, Soelberg-Sorensen et al., 2017, Cooles et al., 2016). Although some of these ideas presented here are speculative, based on similarities with other DMT, they provide a framework for hypothesis-driven testing of the concepts that will help clarify the mechanism of action of cladribine further." End Quote

Please understand the implications of the sections I highlighted. Cladribine diminishes MS while allowing your immune system to recover and function more normally (not unlike HSCT or alemtuzumab in that respect but a great deal safer than either of those) than with other MS drugs. The implication is that a more normally functioning immune system will provide the opportunity for better health.

Comment

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
      Absolutely some of the best news EVER for pwMS!!!!!!

It will be noted that many MSers taking oral cladribine for a few days over the course of the first two years will not need to take any more for years. Some will require additional treatments, however, many will not.

Once MSers become familiar with this new oral I cannot imagine many choosing a different oral, including the other one approved this week, Mayzent.

IMO, this a great leap forward in the treatment of MS with an oral!

The following scientific article will be free for approx. another month due to the generosity of the authors. Even though it may not make much sense right now, people taking Cladribine in the future may want to have downloaded this for future reference. BTW, I would have provided a fantastic slide presentation explaining cladibine, what it is, how it is taken, etc. but it has already been pulled off the internet so please do not make the mistake of believing once something is presented on the internet it is there forever because it DEFINITELY is not.

Potential mechanisms of action related to the efficacy and safety of cladribine

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...2?dgcid=author

Quote... "Long-term suppression from a short-term treatment cycle
      These data suggest that as potentially pathogenic T and B cells, which repopulate slowly once cladribine treatment has been administered (Stuve et al., 2017, Ceronie et al., 2018), will recover in the presence of an environment containing CD4 T regulatory cells, and potentially CD8 T suppressor cells and B regulatory cells. This is likely to create an environment favouring the re-establishment of immune tolerance leading to long-term benefit and the lack of necessity to re-treat, unless there is disease breakthrough (Fig. 5. Comi et al., 2018, Giovannoni et al., 2018a). The durability of cladribine-induced No Evidence of Disease Activity (NEDA), will only be truly appreciated with increasing use and time. If there are similarities in disease control with alemtuzumab and HSCT then many people treated with cladribine tablets will remain disease-free for many years after treatment (Touhy et al. 2015), even once memory CD4 and B cells have reached normal levels as eventually occurs, as found with alemtuzumab, although they may have novel repertoires (Storek et al., 2004; Anderson et al., 2012, Soelberg-Sorensen et al., 2017, Cooles et al., 2016). Although some of these ideas presented here are speculative, based on similarities with other DMT, they provide a framework for hypothesis-driven testing of the concepts that will help clarify the mechanism of action of cladribine further." End Quote

Please understand the implications of the sections I highlighted. Cladribine diminishes MS while allowing your immune system to recover and function more normally (not unlike HSCT or alemtuzumab in that respect but a great deal safer than either of those) than with other MS drugs. The implication is that a more normally functioning immune system will provide the opportunity for better health.

Comment

This is great news for us, MSers!
        I have been openly critical of the slow rate and lack of treatments for this 'plague' ! I will continue to criticize the medical research industry until they discover treatments that restore my broken body and eliminate my accrued disabilities !
        This is my wish and prayer ! Good luck to all !

Comment

Here is a study update I received this morning. This looks like the potential for a good choice, although a time delay to "shake out" the unknowns is always a good idea. And as always, notice the initial price.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...aign=OneSignal

Comment

Working...
          X