Do they get it at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they get it at all?

Just when you think a non-MSer gets it, they prove you wrong. I had a conversation with someone this morning about MS symptoms. It appears that all he got out of all I said about cog fog is ADD. He listened and yet boiled it all down to something it isn't.

It's as if no one can understand MS at all. Not one simple symptom.

Do you have anyone without MS in your life who does understand your symptoms? If you do, maybe I can steal your messaging? Mine is apparently poor. 😃

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
    Do you have anyone without MS in your life who does understand your symptoms? If you do, maybe I can steal your messaging? Mine is apparently poor. 😃
    MMMMS

I get what you're saying.

I've had success with explaining some MS symptoms, mostly by providing good articles that are easy to understand.

For example, there was a very good article in the NMSS online magazine (Momentum) which explained my inability to tolerate being outside in the winter (cold sensitivity). I showed it to family members and it helped them to understand why I stiffen up and can't move while out in cold weather.

Also, I had a great article about spasticity, which helped my sister understand why it was so difficult lifting my legs on to the bed while helping me when I was sick. (I'm light as a feather.)

I don't explain things very well verbally.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I don't think anyone can actually understand what it feels, unless you have MS.

I've stopped trying to explain because people like meare aging and they have somewhat ? similar problems.

I have always appreciated this description http://www.howdoesmsfeel.com/how.html

Print it out for a handy reference!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Get them to live it to understand it. 😃

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

I've stopped trying to explain because people like meare aging and they have somewhat ? similar problems.

I have always appreciated this description http://www.howdoesmsfeel.com/how.html

Print it out for a handy reference!

Comment

No they don't get it. I always get "I know what you mean", "I can relate" or "I know, it's rough getting older".

Seasha, love the description list. Maybe I could keep it with me and show it to someone when they asks "how are you feeling".
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

This!

I haven't ever expected or really even hoped anyone would understand the intricacies of MS. And on the few occasions when I have complained both my husband and mother felt it necessary to share their nearly identical symptoms...perhaps I should jam them in the butt with a needle full of Copaxone when they aren't looking to aid in treating what certainly sounds like MS?
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

We are all on our own journeys. For some reason, MS forces us to take on issues that others cannot help with. Some can help practically, and some can give us their medical expertise, and some can show us they love us. But it can be a lonely condition in the middle of the night and in a crowded room, and during the times we have to hunker down, or just trying to get our thoughts across.

Thank you for this thread because maybe it will help us to understand and forgive each other too.
              All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post

Thank you for this thread because maybe it will help us to understand and forgive each other too.
                I don't think anyone gets it. In fact I would bet there are some of us that don't get each other. (Crazy banter around here lately) It's all perspective.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                X