Shingles vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles vaccine

What's the latest about getting the vaccine? I've read conflicting opinions about this. Thanks.

Normally, MS patients are cautioned not to take live virus vaccinations for fear of activating our immune system. There are now two shingles vaccines: the zostavax (live virus) and the shingrix (dead virus).

From the NMSS
    Shingles vaccine (Shingrix®)
    • The CDC recommends Shingrix, a non-live vaccine for the prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) and related complications. The vaccine, which is given in two doses separated by 2 to 6 months, is recommended over Zostavax® (the previously approved vaccine for shingles). Shingrix is approved for adults 50 years and older:
      • whether or not they have had a prior episode of herpes zoster or have had a dose of Zostavax
      • who have a chronic medical condition, unless there is a specific reason why the individual should not have it
      • who are getting other adult vaccines such as influenza and pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccines

• No studies of Shingrix have been done in people with MS. However, in two clinical studies with Shingrix, there was no increase in immune-mediated conditions.
    • The CDC indicates that a person who is taking a low-dose immunosuppressive therapy or is going to begin taking an immunosuppressive medication can take Shingrix. It is very important to discuss this vaccine with the healthcare provider who is treating your MS to ensure that it is appropriate for you.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...s/Vaccinations

Comment

I am on Tysabri, and I had both shots last year. Each shot was $160 (on traditional Medicare...heard it is more if you are younger) and is separated by 2-6 months. I made sure to have each dose midway between infusions. I had no problems, but my “shot” arm was sore for 48 hours (choose your non-dominant arm). I had shingles 45 years ago and have NO desire to repeat the experience.

Comment

My doctor recommended getting the shots.My mil got shingles and was miserable.Me and wife are going to get the shots

Comment

I had the shot many years ago. Are they suggesting that we get the new version? I'm asking, because it says the new version is recommended whether or not you've had the live version before. Or are we supposed to get a booster every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
            I had the shot many years ago. Are they suggesting that we get the new version? I'm asking, because it says the new version is recommended whether or not you've had the live version before. Or are we supposed to get a booster every so often.
            It is recommended you get the new shot. The old one was only 45-50% effective. The new one is at least 94% effective. My brother-in-law got the old one and still got shingles. He now has the new one.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I'll definitely check into the Shingrix.

Comment

Shingrix Vaccine

My neurologist has recommended that I get the Shingrix vaccine. My primary care physician has arranged for me to receive dose #1 on Monday March 25th. He has a waiting list and it took me about 10 says before he called and said the vaccine had come in. The requests for this vaccine are so great that the manufacturer has a hard time keeping up with the demand. Wish me luck.

IRENE

Comment

Shingrix Vaccine

Well, I had the first dose of the Shingrix vaccine yesterday. Except for a sore arm last night I had no other side effects. I hope the next one goes as easily as this one did.

IRENE

Comment

I got dose no. 2 yesterday. After dose 1, I felt like garbage and basically lost a day. So far with dose 2 it is just a mildly sore arm and not the nausea, headache, achey. It was tricky getting it between Ocrevus doses because of the shortage. You need to have your local pharmacist on your team, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                      I got dose no. 2 yesterday. After dose 1, I felt like garbage and basically lost a day. So far with dose 2 it is just a mildly sore arm and not the nausea, headache, achey. It was tricky getting it between Ocrevus doses because of the shortage. You need to have your local pharmacist on your team, so to speak.
                      Same with Tysabri...in between infusions was tricky. When it came time for dose 2, the 1st pharmacy was out. I had to call around and finally found it at another clinic 3.5 months later. Hope they get this shortage under control. My only symptom was the sore arm, although shot 2 wasn't as bad.

Comment

Spoke too soon- woke up ok but had hours of the chills and blahs since about 1 pm. Am now under two down comforters, a hat and running the heating pad. This too shall pass...

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                          Spoke too soon- woke up ok but had hours of the chills and blahs since about 1 pm. Am now under two down comforters, a hat and running the heating pad. This too shall pass...

I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Shingles shot

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that pain where the shot went.
                            Four days and I could finally lift my arm.
                            I go for 2nd on Monday then on to Ocervus.

Comment

I'd like to get the Shingles vaccine but the neuro says I'm too young (mid 30s) I did have had a mild case of shingles when I was 19, so I feel it is warranted.

Comment

Working...
                              X