Brain fog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain fog?

Can anyone describe brain fog please? Sometimes I think this extreme exhaustion might be brain fog because I am so utterly out of it when fatigue hits hard, which is almost every day.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

When I was younger, I could live on 5 hours sleep. If I only had 4 for a few days, I would start to feel off, like I could never fully wake up.

Now with MS and age, I need my 8 hours. Even with that, there are days I get up and just feel like I can't fully wake up. I have my morning tea, nope, no better. I take my walk thinking it will clear my head After all, I can't sleep walk thru it. Again, nothing. Hit the shower, thinking finally, this will clear the head, and to my dismay, the fog still stays. I will then try to read or do puzzles to see if finally lift. But usually, it doesn't.

Some days it feels like my brain feels when I am congested, but the nose is fine. But it is that type of fogginess.

Other days, it feels like I took a drug that causes drowsiness, but I am not sleepy, just have that sleepy brain feeling. It feels like every reaction is on a few second delay. My husband recognizes it - says my eyes give me away.

And then there are days where I feel like I pulled an all nighter.

Fatigue definitely exacerbates it. And it can be a little catch-22. Physical fatigue causes the cog fog, and also, the extra effort and energy it takes to do cognitive intense activities, causes physical fatigue. And around and around I go. That was the cycle that led me to stop working.

So on the days the fog clears, I take advantage and do more cognitive intense challenges in the am. On days it doesn't, I limit doing anything really important, like bills or reviewing any legal docs, or even driving. I still try to muddle through with puzzles, reading, etc..

Hope this helps some? How do you feel it?
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

The fog makes it hard for me to focus. It's as if everything that I need to accomplish is screaming at me and I have a hard time prioritizing my to do list. It's difficult to stay on task and I find my self irritable and putting half the effort into anything I may try. I'm just not interested in anything at that time.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hi Marti - have you looked into/read the side effects on the different medications that you're taking to see if any of them could cause this severe exhaustion/brain fog? Or if a combination of two (or more) that would cause this.

The reason I'm asking is because I started a new med for spasms that left me feeling like I was in a complete fog for most of the day. After stopping it the effects were gone in a day ot two.

Sorry you've been feeling like this
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          When I was younger, I could live on 5 hours sleep. If I only had 4 for a few days, I would start to feel off, like I could never fully wake up.

Now with MS and age, I need my 8 hours. Even with that, there are days I get up and just feel like I can't fully wake up. I have my morning tea, nope, no better. I take my walk thinking it will clear my head After all, I can't sleep walk thru it. Again, nothing. Hit the shower, thinking finally, this will clear the head, and to my dismay, the fog still stays. I will then try to read or do puzzles to see if finally lift. But usually, it doesn't.

Some days it feels like my brain feels when I am congested, but the nose is fine. But it is that type of fogginess.

Other days, it feels like I took a drug that causes drowsiness, but I am not sleepy, just have that sleepy brain feeling. It feels like every reaction is on a few second delay. My husband recognizes it - says my eyes give me away.

And then there are days where I feel like I pulled an all nighter.

Fatigue definitely exacerbates it. And it can be a little catch-22. Physical fatigue causes the cog fog, and also, the extra effort and energy it takes to do cognitive intense activities, causes physical fatigue. And around and around I go. That was the cycle that led me to stop working.

So on the days the fog clears, I take advantage and do more cognitive intense challenges in the am. On days it doesn't, I limit doing anything really important, like bills or reviewing any legal docs, or even driving. I still try to muddle through with puzzles, reading, etc..

Hope this helps some? How do you feel it?

Kathy, so far your response is the closest to what I feel daily. I forgot to mention the dizziness. I never know for sure if I'm just so tired that I feel woozy or if the wooziness is making me tired. The last few days my blood pressure has been all over the map. It starts out very high and then the next day it's very low. I don't know what this is! Anyway, maybe I'm experiencing some Cog Fog on top of the other stuff. Thanks.
          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            Hi Marti - have you looked into/read the side effects on the different medications that you're taking to see if any of them could cause this severe exhaustion/brain fog? Or if a combination of two (or more) that would cause this.

The reason I'm asking is because I started a new med for spasms that left me feeling like I was in a complete fog for most of the day. After stopping it the effects were gone in a day ot two.

Sorry you've been feeling like this
            I'm really not taking much medication. I have to take Synthroid daily. Don't know if that one has any side effects. I also take Zantac for chronic gastritis. That one makes me a little bit sleepy, but I usually just take it at night. Those are the only regular meds I have. Once in awhile I take half of a Xanax when I feel out of control with anxiety. Thanks for the suggestion.
            Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              The fog makes it hard for me to focus. It's as if everything that I need to accomplish is screaming at me and I have a hard time prioritizing my to do list. It's difficult to stay on task and I find my self irritable and putting half the effort into anything I may try. I'm just not interested in anything at that time.

I understand this too. I really have to force myself to get started with the simplest chores. I'm so tired and so dizzy most of the time. Luckily I don't have to drive very far to go anywhere. Everything is close and the trips that are further away are handled by other people driving for me.
              Marti

Comment

Another question. I think I know the answer but want to ask again. Is the fatigue, dizziness or cog fog due to a lesion? Is this considered damage from MS?
                Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                  Another question. I think I know the answer but want to ask again. Is the fatigue, dizziness or cog fog due to a lesion? Is this considered damage from MS?
                  I'd like to know. It may just be a side effect of our brains working harder on getting those signals out through rewiring and such.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Can anyone describe brain fog please? Sometimes I think this extreme exhaustion might be brain fog because I am so utterly out of it when fatigue hits hard, which is almost every day.
                    Mine is as if a veil is between my brain and eyes. It truly feels like a fog behind my eyes. I feel as if my IQ has dropped. If you imagine the stereotypical out-of-it look on the face of someone with very low IQ, that's how my mind feels. Dulled and slow.

It makes it hard to start anything and very difficult to follow through. If there are several things that need to be done, I have a very hard time putting them in order. I have to tell myself (aloud sometimes &#129315 "Just start something, anything!" That is how I knew it was time to leave work."

Comment

Dizziness can be caused by a lesion. But can have many causes, including medicines, high/low blood pressure, crystals in the ear, optic problems, etc... Other causes need to be eliminated before saying MS.

Likewise, cognitive problems can be caused by lesions. I have focus issues that never fully resolved that started while in a relapse. So that part, I think related to a lesion. But the variable cog issues,for me, think related to fatigue since they are not always there.

Fatigue - there are theories that it is related to the fact that our brain has to work harder to work around damaged areas when it is communicating with other areas. Likewise, they think with the brain's properties of neuroplasticity, that the brain sometimes may adjust and rewire itself, becoming more efficient again, lessening fatigue.

I envision a maze, where I try to find a path. I start out taking the known route, but one day, that path is now blocked. So I have to go back to my, adjust, and pick a new path. Maybe in time, I figure a new path out and remember. But it may not be as efficient as the first path, so it took more effort. Then again, maybe I don't remember the new path, and I am always having to start over again in the maze, using lots of my energy. And other times, I give up and just stop trying to find another way.

I don't know if it works that way. But that is what I picture - I am like a lab rat in a maze. So when my right arm really acts up and I drop everything or can't lift it, I picture me in the maze, stuck trying to figure out how to get out. Just sitting there, lost in the maze and too tired to go on.

Most days, the arm is numb and weak, but works. So I figure it is me running around and around, eventually getting out, but tired from the extra effort.

When really tired, I think that the brain has so many of these mazes and more than one I may be lost in.

Sorry I rambled. Hope you don't think my maze thoughts are too strange!
                      Kathy

Comment

Dizziness can be caused by a lesion. But can have many causes, including medicines, high/low blood pressure, crystals in the ear, optic problems, etc... Other causes need to be eliminated before saying MS.

Likewise, cognitive problems can be caused by lesions. I have focus issues that never fully resolved that started while in a relapse. So that part, I think related to a lesion. But the variable cog issues,for me, think related to fatigue since they are not always there.

Fatigue - there are theories that it is related to the fact that our brain has to work harder to work around damaged areas when it is communicating with other areas. Likewise, they think with the brain's properties of neuroplasticity, that the brain sometimes may adjust and rewire itself, becoming more efficient again, lessening fatigue.

I envision a maze, where I try to find a path. I start out taking the known route, but one day, that path is now blocked. So I have to go back to my, adjust, and pick a new path. Maybe in time, I figure a new path out and remember. But it may not be as efficient as the first path, so it took more effort. Then again, maybe I don't remember the new path, and I am always having to start over again in the maze, using lots of my energy. And other times, I give up and just stop trying to find another way.

I don't know if it works that way. But that is what I picture - I am like a lab rat in a maze. So when my right arm really acts up and I drop everything or can't lift it, I picture me in the maze, stuck trying to figure out how to get out. Just sitting there, lost in the maze and too tired to go on.

Most days, the arm is numb and weak, but works. So I figure it is me running around and around, eventually getting out, but tired from the extra effort.

When really tired, I think that the brain has so many of these mazes and more than one I may be lost in.

Sorry I rambled. Hope you don't think my maze thoughts are too strange!

A very good explanation. In the last couple of years I have become very OCD. I am constantly moving items around in the house. Some days I just pace the floors. I've been playing the furniture game... giving away a couch, taking it back, buying a different one, searching for a couch or loveseat online. Never quite satisfied. In 45 years of marriage we never bought new living room furniture. And I still am using cast offs. I don't mind this, but I have given 2 sets away to my son's girlfriend and am now going to get one couch back from her. Doesn't this sound....like a maze?? Maybe this had something to do with Sam's death. I'm running down blind paths too.
                        Marti

Comment

Marti - you have had so much going on for so long. It seems with losing a spouse, people react two ways: change everything or don't change a thing. There is no right or wrong, just how each person deals. Some need to slowly make changes, others need to dive in.

With MS cognitive impairments, decision making is an area that can be affected. That doesn't mean that is what is going on. I used to be really decisive, quick decisions, and no looking back. Now, I second guess dinner!
                          Kathy

Comment

Marti - you have had so much going on for so long. It seems with losing a spouse, people react two ways: change everything or don't change a thing. There is no right or wrong, just how each person deals. Some need to slowly make changes, others need to dive in.

With MS cognitive impairments, decision making is an area that can be affected. That doesn't mean that is what is going on. I used to be really decisive, quick decisions, and no looking back. Now, I second guess dinner!

Thanks again Kathy. I realize that my mental state has several origins. Time should help. I'm still too raw. I started changing things right away. I think I'm glad I did that, but now I am feeling a little guilty. Also feel guilty that I am NOT crying every day and seem to be getting over the loss. This is tough. I still wonder if this OCD thing is a cognitive problem.
                            Marti

Comment

Thanks again Kathy. I realize that my mental state has several origins. Time should help. I'm still too raw. I started changing things right away. I think I'm glad I did that, but now I am feeling a little guilty. Also feel guilty that I am NOT crying every day and seem to be getting over the loss. This is tough. I still wonder if this OCD thing is a cognitive problem.
                              Marti - please don't feel guilty because you are not crying every day. You had a period of grieving when Sam was still living as well. After seeing him suffer, I am sure, part of you was relieved that he was at peace. No guilt over that either. Plus, everyone experiences grief differently. Just because someone isn't crying doesn't mean there isn't grief.

As for the OCD stuff, it could just be a need to control what you can. But can also be lesion or a combo.
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X