Antioxidant ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antioxidant ?

Can someone with ms consume to many Antioxidant's in a day?

I am drinking 36oz of Antioxidant Coconutfusion a day which equals 9mg antioxidant's and 2 squares of 72% dark chocolate (not sure how many are in the chocolate).
    God Bless Us All

I don't know.

Dr. Alan Bowling, sort of a "guru" of alternative medicine for MS, cautions against too many anti-oxidants.

"people with MS should be cautious about supplements that activate the immune system. These include echinacea, astragulus, ashwaganda, cat’s claw, high doses of antioxidants over a long period of time, and zinc." https://www.msconnection.org/Blog/Ju...-Allen-Bowling

I don't know how many is too many. I've heard that our immune system is "confused" so that this might confuse it more. I'm not sure what I believe about it. I try to get most of my anti-oxidants from food, and I tend to believe that healthy food won't be a detriment to my MS.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've finally gotten around to looking up antioxidants with Tecfidera. Looks like Tec triggers an antioxidant response (which is good down the chain, at least) which first got my attention.

Now I'm looking at PML and JCV and trying to figure out if my antioxidant vitamin (Omega 3, 6, and 9) will cause problems with it. No idea right now, more info later. *shrug*

...this is just for people taking Tecfidera. Probably won't effect other meds.

Here are some pages I was looking up before my brain loaded up and went out:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...dera-explained

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ents-possible+

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27625306

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...3-6-9-overview

Comment

Thank you Mamabug. It makes sense we should not have a high dose, just wish I knew how much.

Thank you headrift. I am taking Ocrevus. I also take Omega 3 fish oil.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post

I am drinking 36oz of Antioxidant Coconutfusion a day which equals 9mg antioxidant's and 2 squares of 72% dark chocolate (not sure how many are in the chocolate).
          REG

I found this info:

"Concerns have not been raised about the safety of antioxidants in food. However, high-dose supplements of antioxidants may be linked to health risks in some cases."

Antioxidants: In Depth

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/antioxi...troduction.htm

Your antioxidants are from food, so probably nothing to be concerned about.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you Koko. I don't get many from food. I am going to try to eat better and stop drinking a lot of the antioxidant drinks.

Can't give up my chocolate.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Can't give up my chocolate.
              Oh, thanks for the reminder about chocolate, REG.

I forgot to put it on the grocery list, for my sister, when she went to the store last Thursday.

Take Care
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you Koko. I don't get many from food. I am going to try to eat better and stop drinking a lot of the antioxidant drinks.
                REG ~ do you eat any of these very good antioxidant-rich foods?

Wild Blueberries
                Strawberries
                Plums
                Oranges
                Grapes
                Cherries
                Mangos
                Kale
                Spinach
                Broccoli
                Beets

I eat a lot of blueberries (frozen wild blueberries), strawberries, oranges, spinach, and broccoli.

Also get my fish omega 3 from eating salmon and sardines.

Take Care

Comment

Koko, Not often enough. I tend to drink juice and not eat the fruit so I went to the store today and bought kale salad mix, broccoli, oranges, white grapes, banana's and apples. My dh eats a lot of fruit and salad and I will start.

Thank you for the list.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Koko, Not often enough. I tend to drink juice and not eat the fruit so I went to the store today and bought kale salad mix, broccoli, oranges, white grapes, banana's and apples. My dh eats a lot of fruit and salad and I will start.

Thank you for the list.
                    Sounds good!

I tend to drink juice and not eat the fruit.
                    A lot of people do prefer to drink their fruits and vegetables by making smoothies.

Using a blender and the clean-up afterward is too much work for me.

Take Care

Comment

Some studies show that dark chocolate (cacao) has more antioxidant properties than many fruits and vegetables.

I finally got my unsweetened dark chocolate bars, 100% cacao, on Thursday.

There are 16 total squares in one bar. One ounce = 4 squares.

I started on Thursday eating 4 squares each day (2 in the am and 2 in the pm) which equals one ounce per day. (So, with eating one ounce a day, one bar will last for four days.)

Will eat one ounce of this dark chocolate per day, for 6 weeks (same time frame as the cocoa study, which was one cup of cocoa a day, for 6 weeks).

My experiment is to see if this helps my motor fatigue (leg muscles get tired from walking due to MS impaired nerve signals).

The 6 weeks will end on May 2. I'll let you know if there is any improvement.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        A lot of people do prefer to drink their fruits and vegetables by making smoothies.

Using a blender and the clean-up afterward is too much work for me.

Take Care
                        Clean up doesn't have to be a lot of work. I'm lazy in my kitchen.

I rarely wash my blender. I put a little bit of water in when I'm done, turn it on briefly to swish it around. Then just rinse it out in the sink.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                          Clean up doesn't have to be a lot of work. I'm lazy in my kitchen.

I rarely wash my blender. I put a little bit of water in when I'm done, turn it on briefly to swish it around. Then just rinse it out in the sink.
                          Thanks for the helpful tip, Mamabug.

Handling a blender (getting it in and out of the cupboard), washing and cutting up various fruits and vegetables, and the clean up afterward (all done one-handed) is more effort than I want to put into making them drinkable.

It's easier for me to just eat the fruits and vegetables.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                            Thanks for the helpful tip, Mamabug.

Handling a blender (getting it in and out of the cupboard), washing and cutting up various fruits and vegetables, and the clean up afterward (all done one-handed) is more effort than I want to put into making them drinkable.

It's easier for me to just eat the fruits and vegetables.

Take Care
                            I use my blender often enough that I store it on the counter. Also, my blender is pretty heavy duty. Although I do cut up my fruits and vegetables a little bit, it Dan actually blend a whole apple, or a whole orange (peel included, without chopping.

Yeah; it would be a lot of work to do everything you list. I wouldn't either.

Also, I'm interested in your dark chocolate experiment. Let us know how it goes. We ny experience, there need to be more changes, and bigger changes, before I notice a difference. The combination of many dietary and lifestyle changes has resulted in minor improvements for me.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Koko, Sounds like a good plan. I hope it helps you.
                              God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                              X