Working while on disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working while on disability?

I apologize if this is an overly redundant question but I'velooked and looked and can't find a definitive answer, I don’t know if it’s myreading comprehension or if it’s that hard to find an answer.

I’ve been on SSDIsince 2010 and while I’d very much enjoy returning to full time work it’s veryintimidating and my gut feeling is that in the long run it’s just not possibleso I’ve been contemplating trying a part time job. My question is how muchmoney can a person earn indefinitely while on SSDI without it affecting their eligibilityand being deducted from their disability payment? From what I’ve read for 2019,social security considers anything above $1220 a month substantial gainful activity.

Does this mean a person is free to earn under $1220 a month indefinitelywhile on disability? Is it deducted from their current disability payment? Italked to my local SS office last year and they kept referring me to theirpathway to work program to the point of being irritating and I really couldn’tget an answer to my question. I would very much enjoy exploring full time workbut it’s daunting, the pain I experienced in the last year before receivingdisability was a horror I don’t wish on anyone and I want to be very carefulabout. I feel I understand the pathway or trial work period but if a person isnot able to go that far can they work on a limited basis without affectingtheir benefit or committing the pathway program?

Hi and welcome! I wish I could help you, but I don't know the ins and outs of working while on disability. We have a volunteer Attorney who answers questions here in this forum, so hopefully he will be around soon to offer you some advice.

Take care!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Here's the answer from AARP

Can you work part time on Social Security disability?

Yes, within strict limits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) payments will stop if you are engaged in what Social Security calls “substantial gainful activity.” SGA, as it’s known, is defined in 2019 as earning more than $1,220 a month (or $2,040 if you are blind).

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...on-disability/

Comment

Same exact question?

Hello! I have the same exact question, and I too have searched for the correct answer! I also found the Ticket To Work program that says you can't earn more than $880 so I have questions about that?? I thought it was very confusing to find a clear answer. I was recently cut from my employer's disability pension and healthcare after 15 years of being on disability and receiving SSDI. I still receive SSDI but need to try and find something to supplement my income. Would also like to know if you can just start working? Is there paperwork to fill out? Do I have to let the Social Security Department know...etc? Hopefully someone can pop in and give "clear" answers What kind of work are you going to attempt, if you don't mind me asking...I'm looking for something at home, computer based, but that's hard to find. Good luck!!

Comment

This is a common question, and the subject of more misinformation online than any other in the SSDI field. It is very important to be precise in this question, because of what the SSA calls a "trial work period." If you hired (and paid!) an attorney in your SSDI claim, you should contact them and discuss your attempt to return to work, so you can fully assess the pros and cons of a return to work.

The question asked is how much a person can make indefinitely. The short answer for 2019 is $880 per month. (As always, the work conducted must be part time, preferably less than 20 hours per week, and must be consistent with disability - so no running a jackhammer).

Why is there conflicting information online or at the SSA office referencing a $1220 per month limit for 2019? $1220 per month is the allowance for temporary work without it impacting your benefits.

If you exceed $880 per month and stay under $1220 per month, the SSA will temporarily continue to pay benefits without a reduction under what is called a trial work period. Their hope (and yours) is that you succeed at part time work and then graduate to full time work. If you exceed $880 per month for nine or more months in a 60 month rolling period, your benefits will likely be stopped. (The relevant SSA citations for the trial work period is https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html.)

As a final bit of complexity, there is no trial work period while you are awaiting a decision on or hearing in your SSDI claim. During this period, you should be able to earn up to $1220 per month in 2019. Be careful, however; a judge may view earnings approaching this level as suggesting an ability to work at a level inconsistent with a disability claim.

Again, you should speak with your attorney and/or contact your local SSA office before attempting a return to part time work; rules change and you want to be sure there is not a unique issue in your claim or work that may be problematic. If you do return to part time work, you must let your local SSA office know as soon as possible (and contact them again if you stop working, or if your earnings change notably).

I hope this helps clear up the confusion, and best of luck with your attempt to work!
          Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Gross or net?

Thanks so much for your answer!! One question is the amount of $880 gross or net? My husband's employer would like to hire me for miscellaneous data entry jobs, if they pay me around $700 for 32 hours/month would I jeopardize my SSDI? My former employer actually used their own SSDI attorney, so I don't have a personal one to contact.
            I really appreciate your help!

Comment

It sounds like you've found yourself the perfect part-time job!

The figures noted are gross, but be sure to leave yourself some wiggle room in case you work an extra hour here or there.
              Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Wow I'm glad I saw that. In all my searching I never saw that $880 figure. I was thinking about just delivering pizza a night or two a week. Not sure how they report tips these days but figured it might give me a little wiggle room to be safe if need be.

Comment

Hburgdale,

You're not alone. Many hearing offices and attorneys aren't aware of the short-term/long-term distinction. After a decade of working mostly MS disability claims, I've picked up some extra tidbits to share.

Hopefully, this post string helps avoid confusion in the MS community and prevents the loss of benefits.

-Jamie

Comment

Mods - possibly worth a sticky note? It is a really important distinction that your earnings can cause your claim to be classified differently. I don't remember my lawyer telling me this, but he did recommend I call him if I accepted any employment to walk thru how it is handled.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                      Mods - possibly worth a sticky note? It is a really important distinction that your earnings can cause your claim to be classified differently. I don't remember my lawyer telling me this, but he did recommend I call him if I accepted any employment to walk thru how it is handled.
                      Great idea!

Jamie- do you want to make this thread a sticky, and add any additional pertinent information on this topic?

Thanks!
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I'll create a new 'sticky' post this evening, with the information presented in a simpler fashion. In the meantime, questions are welcome on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMSLawyer View Post
                          I'll create a new 'sticky' post this evening, with the information presented in a simpler fashion. In the meantime, questions are welcome on this thread.
                          Jamie~

Thank you for creating the 'sticky' post about working while on disability.

Very good info - easy to understand!

Take Care
                          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

One more question

As I've read and Jamie has eluded to, one should notify SS if you begin to work? What exactly does this look like? Does simply answering correctly on their yearly letter do the trick, is there an online option or does it require a dreaded pilgrimage down to the SS office?

Thank you Jamie for al your helpful input!!

Comment

Yes; thank you, Jamie, for creating the sticky post.

For those of you who are looking for additional information, here is a link to the sticky:
                              https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ity-Disability

Perhaps it would also be helpful for those working while on disability to be aware of what the reporting requirements are. Do you have any information about this, Jamie?
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                              X