Advice, Input, Ideas....anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice, Input, Ideas....anybody?

Hello!! I'm Sweet-T!! I am a 38 y/o & single mother to one. After 11 years of battling secondary progressive MS to relapsing remitting MS to now, who by the grace of God, hard work, extraordinary determination, & an undying will to beat this disease I have remained in remission for over 7 years. I feel I have fought & dealt with the day to day struggles of MS on my own long enough and I am ready to share my experiences with other msers in hopes to offer insight, support, courage, & determination when I can and maybe I can find encouragement from fellow msers to always have the hope, the inspiration, & the determination that I have today.

I live in a small, rural community where there are few msers to help or turn to for support. I have aspirations of starting a local support group and would like any advice, input, ideas, that anyone has to offer. I am very excited about finding this community and am looking forward to having this chance to be a part of a community that understands & appreciates the struggle.

Originally posted by Tiffycoopa7 View Post
    ... I feel I have fought & dealt with the day to day struggles of MS on my own long enough and I am ready to share my experiences with other msers in hopes to offer insight, support, courage, & determination when I can and maybe I can find encouragement from fellow msers to always have the hope, the inspiration, & the determination that I have today.
    Welcome, Tiffany. I look forward to your contributions.!

Yeah; I don't have many real-life MS acquaintances either. This board is one place I come where others "get it".
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey Tiffany, welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hi and welcome! We're glad you're here and sharing your thoughts. If you are considering starting up a support group have you looked to the NMSS and see if there are others already in existence? Check here - https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Chapters

If not, you might want to start advertising through the newspapers or radio stations near you or social media. Branch out to other areas within 30 miles or so. You also might consider inviting people who have other neurological conditions that have similar challenges and struggles. A few years ago I was in a yoga group and also a dance/movement class for people with MS and Parkinson's which was well attended by both.

It sounds like you have the energy, the ambition, the enthusiasm to reach out to others to pursue this idea. Good luck! In the meantime, I hope to see more of you here. We're all in this together!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Nice to meet you! Welcome. I am in awe of your aspiration to start up a support group in your local community. I have no advice to offer, I do wish you good luck.

Comment

Hi Sweet-T!

Welcome!

Hope you find MSWorld to be an informative and supportive place.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome Tiffy,

Originally posted by Tiffycoopa7
              I live in a small, rural community where there are few msers to help or turn to for support.
              Ditto. We're a rare group (0.3% of the population), so finding others who deal with the same insanity and issues we have is something special.

If you do create a small/local group, please be sure to list it on the nat'l MS society's database so others can find you.
              59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Welcome, and don't forget the chat room here. The "real" one is still out of commission, but we do have an active temporary chat set up here: https://kiwiirc.com/client?settings=...5f06d7771b0f6b

I only have one "in real life" MS friend, and I think he may have moved, but chat friends are just as fun. Hope to see you.

Comment

Congrats Sweet-T. It sounds like you've made tremendous progress during the past 11yrs. I'm a 44 yr old father of two diagnosed 9 years ago with RRMS. My mobility is declining but still employed and walking without cane for now. Any strategies you credit for your bounce back?

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X