Service dog vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service dog vest

As the rest of my hearing falls apart (I've got about 10% in my right ear and about 40% in my left), I increasingly take advantage of the help given me by Chase the Incredible Rocket Dog, my 50# lab mix. He serves as an 'alert' dog for me, as he hears things that I don't and lets me know about them. While there is no specific formal licensing for service dogs (and other animals), I'm at least getting some recognition from my physician that he provides hearing assistance to me, and getting him a service animal vest. I've especially noted that, when I camp with him (he is in the tent with me), he 'notifies' me of things occurring outside, including other people and when animals approach.

Does anyone have any experience in taking service animals on trails in restricted places like GSMNP and Baxter? Since I'm neither blind nor in a wheelchair, my handicap isn't apparent to others (which is one of the reasons for the vest for Chase) so I'd be interested in any other experiences and suggestions.

Thanks.

Service dog

I was in search of someone bringing this up.
    I've been given suggestions on getting a "Balance Dog". There are days it looks like I've left the bar at closing... I've got the whole 'Bob and Weave' some/not all days. Today was one of those days. Therefore I'm looking for more info on where and how to go about getting one. What I've read she is in complete control when I'm not. She'd (I want a female) guide me to a safe place to rest if I'm over doing it. My biggest issues are balance. Assistance when I fall (occasionally). Apparently able to pick things up I drop. Can handle my ups and downs, even in my rolling moods.
    Read so much I'm excited to find my fit. I guess I can call this my step on the ladder to stay as active as I like.

Comment

We've often seen signs on trails in the national forests around here that say dogs are not allowed on the trails. It doesn't say if this applies to service dogs or not, so that's a really good question!

I'd suggest that once you get his service vest that you should probably call or email whatever department in your state handles the particular area you are interested in and ask. I imagine you'll also need to carry some printed form of "proof" that he's a Service Dog, just in case anyone in authority thinks you are either faking it with his vest or borrowing the vest from someone else's dog!
      Wendy
      "There are signs everywhere...."
      "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

Comment

You don't need any proof/registration for a service dog (nor do they technically need a vest, but that may help against extra questions). Technically, by law, they can only ask if your dog is a service dog, and what task he/she is trained to do (as service dogs have to be more than just emotional support, they have to complete a task that helps the handler's disability, which it sounds like yours does with alerting you to sounds).

Here is a link to the ADA's FAQ section about service animals.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Comment

Welcome, Uck!

I have no advice or knowledge about service dogs to share, but I wanted to welcome you to our boards. Please feel free to introduce yourself here: https://www.msworld.org/forum/forumd...About-Yourself!
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Service dog

Well I bit the pricy bullet and got myself a 9 week old golden retriever. She's from service parents and I put her straight into training.
            We can see that shes a good fit for me, very attentive and nearly potty trained in 3days!!
            Her trainer told me there is no "license" for her as someone else has stated. On that note we will have having a "training vest" before she grads to the "service dog vest" anyway.
            She/we will be trained on how to work together including my part time cane. The way I see it playing out is she will assist on keeping me on my feet. She will be trained to guide me to resting place when she sees I need one.
            As like people in my life, they notice things before I, admit or acknowledge them. I've done this to give my partner a piece of mind knowing something is looking out for me, so she can relax a little.
            I don't "need" the dog at this moment, but it's an investment for the future.
            Had I known 10 years ago I would have this DX i may have done more or done less of somethings. But like all of us, who could have seen this as our future.
            Now that I have a little clue what's coming I'm calling this prep.

Comment

What wonderful news, Donna! And yes, I great investment for the future! I wish I could get one, but my dh claims he's allergic to them. Ha - I think it's more of a mental thing rather than a physical one.

Have fun with the training.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

new toddler in the house!!

May as well have a 2yr child in our home...
                We are in the process of TWO trainers. She is house broken, huge plus. Sure is a good thing I'm still mobile, I get plenty of exercise staying on her trail. She's doing really well so far. Basic commands are conquered, just fine tuning now and we're only 2.5 weeks in. So we have great Hope's this was not a bad decision. Expensive, but rewarding as well. If I get get at least 1/2 of her expenses written off I'll be grateful. I'll just be happy when she sleeps through the night
                High hopes and progress. She's smart and heaven knows full of energy to keep me on my toes.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                What wonderful news, Donna! And yes, I great investment for the future! I wish I could get one, but my dh claims he's allergic to them. Ha - I think it's more of a mental thing rather than a physical one.

Have fun with the training.

Comment

Dear DonnaH,
                  It has been so interesting to me to read about your service dog. I wish you every success and happiness.

I've looked into this idea for myself. I sounds as if I have a similar level of disability to yours, but I am getting worse more quickly. When I investigated service dogs, I discovered that most programs would require me to move and live for months a continent away (Illinois --> Arizona) before I could have an authentic dog in my home. It sounds as if you have a more flexible program. How did you find it?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your story.
                  Stay lifted,
                  Mermaid Susan
                  "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Service dog

I am currently on my 2nd CCI service dog. The dogs at CCI are completely free. They have skilled companion, Facility Dogs, Hearing Dogs, Service Dogs and now PTSD Dogs. All state have CCI training centers. They are completely free. Just type CCI.org and check them out.
                    Rich

Comment

Dear Rich,
                      Thank you for this resource. I am looking into it. Their "training centers" are much closer than others I have seen. I could perhaps manage a 2-week hotel stay. But I am getting ahead of myself. They estimate that the opportunity to actually train with one of their wonderful dogs would be two years from acceptance of application.

Again, thank you.
                      Stay lifted,
                      Mermaid Susan
                      "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

A friend of mine applied and it took a year to be invited to team training. The first thing is to apply. The time does vary. In my case when I applied my 1st time CCI closed to new applicants so by the time applications was accepted it took 3 - 1/2 years. Kovin passed at 14 -1/2 and when I received Toggle it took a year. In my opinion it was worth it regardless of how much time it took but I might be a little one-sided. I wouldn’t let time discourage you from applying.
                        Rich

Originally posted by MermaidOP View Post
                        Dear Rich,
                        Thank you for this resource. I am looking into it. Their "training centers" are much closer than others I have seen. I could perhaps manage a 2-week hotel stay. But I am getting ahead of myself. They estimate that the opportunity to actually train with one of their wonderful dogs would be two years from acceptance of application.

Again, thank you.
                        Stay lifted,
                        Mermaid Susan

Comment

Service dog update

I've spoken to my cpa, puppy is a FULL WRITE OFF. Everything from buying her to ALL vet visits, toys,food, leash,and best part TRAINING.
                          I live in CA but I guess its nation wide.
                          Fully happy with pup (Reba) ecstatic that now she's my dependent 😁

Comment

my sister trains service dogs and i think the main thing is having him registered as a service dog. you'll get paperwork, which you can then laminate and keep on you. not 100% certain, but that's what i think anyway.

and anyone deserves a second chance, weasy. unless you beat animals. then, no soup for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X