2018 taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 taxes

I finally started to work on our 2018 taxes today. I'm not done yet, but it looks like my Social Security disability benefits are taxed at a significantly higher rate in 2018 than in 2017. Last year, just less than 50% of the amount was taxable. This year, it's about 75%.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    I finally started to work on our 2018 taxes today. I'm not done yet, but it looks like my Social Security disability benefits are taxed at a significantly higher rate in 2018 than in 2017. Last year, just less than 50% of the amount was taxable. This year, it's about 75%.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    OUCH Mama!

I'm not an accountant, but I do know there are more taxes being paid or deductions have been decreased on certain things. I can't deduct as many of my medical costs as I could last year but I don't know the percentage yet.
    All the best, ~G

Comment

I'm not sure about disability benefits but I have heard the lack of write offs is supposedly offset by a higher basic deduction? I haven't gotten mine back from the accountant but I think I liked all the deductions better.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        I'm not sure about disability benefits but I have heard the lack of write offs is supposedly offset by a higher basic deduction? I haven't gotten mine back from the accountant but I think I liked all the deductions better.
        Yeah; I'm not concerned about "write-offs". I don't itemize my deductions so they don't affect me. And, yes; there is a larger standard deduction this year.

That doesn't explain why my disability benefit is taxed at a much higher rate this year. An SSDI disability benefit is income. It's not a deduction.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I know taxed at 50% when income is at a certain level. Did your husband's income go up some? If so, may have pushed you over that limit and taxed higher. If not, it could be that the change to deductions and eliminating personal exemptions left you with higher AGI and bumped into next tax bracket for SSDI disability rates. Or could be combo of both.

Ours are higher, but hard to determine since we itemized last year, but standard this year.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Just finished my taxes too.

Reviewing my year-over-year I do not see much difference with SSDI income.

Without more detail it's hard to tell but seems mine hasn't changed - my 2017 vs 2018 are about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              I know taxed at 50% when income is at a certain level. Did your husband's income go up some? If so, may have pushed you over that limit and taxed higher.
              Thanks. I has assumed that the changes in this year's tax return were related to the 2018 tax reform. But I looked up taxation rates for SSDI benefits, and, although hubby's income only went up the usual, small annual amount, it was enough to push him into the next tax bracket.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Because the new law gave you more of your money during the year, we owed at the end of the year. luckily I had saved in anticipation of this. My over all tax from last year to this was about the same.
                Brenda
                Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by 4boysmom View Post
                  Because the new law gave you more of your money during the year, we owed at the end of the year. luckily I had saved in anticipation of this. My over all tax from last year to this was about the same.
                  I think most ppl actually received more on their weekly checks that was previously withheld in taxes. That is the difference. Pay me now or pay me later.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    I think most ppl actually received more on their weekly checks that was previously withheld in taxes. That is the difference. Pay me now or pay me later.
                    I prefer it this way. I can't stand to think of anyone holding my money interest free.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      I prefer it this way. I can't stand to think of anyone holding my money interest free.
                      You can bet Uncle Sam is accruing interest.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                      X