Osteoporosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osteoporosis

Hi all! Well things just seem to keep coming and all of my health issues are becoming more than I can emotionally handle. None are life threatening but the layers of more issues, more doctor visits and the push for more medications is exhausting me.

My newest is osteoporosis with the recommendation of taking the infusion of Reclast. Has anyone taken this drug? Has anyone reverse osteoporosis naturally? These drugs have the potential for side effects...of course most don’t but I just am too afraid of being the one that does.

For me right now the hardest part is being in my 50s and feeling like I am well into my 70s or 80s. My father has no health issues and takes no meds but I seem to have gotten the autoimmune lottery. Sigh.

Again, I appreciate hearing any blights, comments or experiences. I don’t know anyone who has taken these drugs and I am so lost on how to proceed. Many thanks!! 💕 MGM

I don't have experience with this medication but wanted to commiserate. Whether it is MS, regular aging or the horrid combo I also feel as if I've aged beyond my years.

FWIW I know very few starting in their 60s who aren't on at least a small handful of medications for different issues.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I am scheduled for my first Reclast infusion next week. I do have osteoporosis, but was referred to an Endocrinologist because I also have elevated blood Calcium. The Endocrinologist recommended Reclast because it will serve the dual purpose of lowering my blood calcium as well as treating the osteoporosis.

Weight bearing exercises can help improve osteoporosis without medication, but those are difficult for me to do since I have crappy balance and use a mobility scooter and a walker. Like you, I'm not crazy about adding yet another medication, but an elevated calcium level has cardiac implications.....so I have to do something.

Comment

I'm just like you. Came from a healthy family but I got all the demons!

I've been told for years that I have Osteoporosis, but so far I have gotten away without the drugs. I do have hip pains, on and off, both sides. But, I also have osteoarthritis and am 68. Maybe it's to be expected at this point.

I am somewhat of a medicine phobic... afraid of any new drug... not willing to pump any more chemicals into my body. I'm so afraid of poisoning myself... or making by body sicker than it needs to be. My Mom lived to 94 without anything more than an aspirin.

I almost think that having MS causes a different kind of anxiety in us. Once you know you have it, you (or I) obsess about it and worry over every little thing. I'm constantly trying to find answers for every little thing that comes along.

If you do decide to take the Osteo meds let us know about your progress.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi MyGirlsMom,

I'm male, 69 yo this month. Was told 2 years before MS dx (2006), that I have the bones of an 80 year old.

Could have fooled me. Never broke a bone in my life so I'm possibly due.... But did add Calcium carbonate with some D3 after a bit of research. Later additional D3 at time of MS dx. Same today.

Pre Osteoporosis dx I had begun a gym routine (due to spasticity), more extensive now. All I have encountered have emphasized strength training as superior to any drug (including my OP).

I'm losing my strength quicker than I expected or so it seems lately, but still push the weights at least a few times a week. As best as I can, as limited as MS permits.

Don't add to your anxiety. Or your medicine cabinet, in my opinion, unless you are strongly urged by doctors you trust, or your lack of ability to do something that would trigger your body's natural response.

Comment

Hi mgm,I too take med for this.Mine starts with a A in a tablet.Cant remember the name,Sorry.I take once a week.On package it states it states may cause blood problems.Just great,I broke my hip year ago.Dave

Comment

Thank you all for responding and sharing! I am so unsure what to do and trying to live in the moment instead of chasing these diseases. Canary, you are so brave to take the infusion next week! Are you have a slow infusion (60 minutes) or the fast (15 minutes) along with meds to treat the following symptoms. Be sure to drink lots of water in advance and after....at least from what I read.

Please let me know how it goes for you.

I haven’t yet decided what I am going to do....but eating broccoli, chard, kale and calcium enriched almond milk...

Comment

Also have osteoporosis and am taking yoga 3x per week with hopes that supporting my own body weight will strengthen the bones. Am hesitant to add more drugs to the mix since Ocrevus is already a big gun kinda drug. Had the dexascan in 2017 and will see about a repeat to know if yoga has helped.

Comment

Hi My Girls,

I have osteoporosis that responded well to Prolia. Unfortunately not covered by my current health insurance. (They want me to fail two other drugs first)

I’m also currently not being treated for MS while we argue with insurance. (They, again, want me to fail two other drugs before I can have Ocrevus)

On the plus side, I’m so mad and scared about not being treated that I am more than eager to get onto the scary drugs!

I will probably go with reclast. But I have to wait to see what DMT I end up on.

Osteoporosis is a genetic predisposition in my family. I asked my doctor if people beat this disease with just diet and exercise, and she said they do not. I’m gonna believe her and do the drugs (But also lift weights anyway. Muscles are good.)

Comment

MyGirlsMom:

I will be having the infusion given over 15-20 minutes. My doctor did tell me to drink 2-3 glasses of water prior to and 2-3 glasses of water following the procedure.

If it were "only" an issue of osteoporosis I might consider something other than a Reclast infusion. However my Calcium has been elevated, either high normal or slightly above normal, for the past 10 years. And it's been creeping progressively higher over the last few years. I need to do what I have to do to bring my Calcium level down. I'll post after the infusion on Wednesday.

Comment

Canary, that makes sense as you have other issues in that that need to be addressed. I am thinking of holding off on this and do what tegagami is doing and I am getting pressure to get on an MS drug too. I can only handle so much at once. Best wishes on a successful infusion of Reclast and please do keep us posted!! From what I have read, being well hydrated before and after is really key in feeling the best you can with this medication.

Comment

The Reclast infusion today was uneventful. Two RNs checked me in, the IV was started painlessly within 5 minutes of being seated. And, following a trip to the restroom (after all the water I drank!) I was in the car on my way home in less than 45 minutes! RNs advised me to drink plenty of water for the next 48 hours and to take Tylenol for any bone aches I might experience. Keeping my fingers crossed for no significant side effects!!

Comment

So good to hear that the experience was good with no initial side affects!! Yay!! Hope you feel well when you wake up tomorrow morning. 👏🏼👏🏼

Comment

OMG!!!!! Suffice it to say I did not escape my Reclast infusion unscathed! I have a good friend who has had two Reclast infusions with ZERO side effects. I generally don't experience issues with medication, so I was perhaps overly optimistic.

Beginning about 8 hours after the infusion I started with a headache and dizziness. Overnight I developed bone pain in addition to nausea/vomiting and fever/chills. I think I could have dealt with feeling ill for a couple of days, but the fever threw me into a pseudo exacerbation, leaving me unable to walk, stand or even lift my legs onto the bed. It was really scary and frustrating, to feel so sick yet be unable to help myself! My husband was a trooper! I had to call him home from work to help me. I've never had to ask him to come home from work in 30 years of marriage! I've experienced similar, heat-related pseudo exacerbations in the past so I was fairly confident my symptoms would pass once the fever ended.....which is exactly what happened.

It was a pretty rough 3 days, and I plan to have a serious discussion with the endocrinologist about other possible treatment options before I need a second annual infusion next year. My advice about Reclast? Proceed with caution!!

Comment

Canary, I am so so sorry to hear all that you went through all of that with Reclast!! My heart breaks for you. It is so hard to call the hubby home for help and scary to have all these symptoms at once. You are so strong! Much stronger than me, for sure...it sounds like you handled it well (I think I would have ended back up in the hospital!)

For my situation, I haven’t done anything yet. I searched online and found a local doctor that specializes in osteoporosis and I have an appointment in a few months. I think this doctor’s opinion will be helpful in determining my options as he specializes in osteoporosis with Post menopausal woman. Lol! That’s me.

My neuro really wants me to go on a DMT but it appears that these newer infusion DMTs need a steriod given during the infusion. I am concerned that the IVSM I had last year moved me from Osteopenia to Osteoporosis and really don’t want any more steroids unless absolutely necessary. Or Perhaps there is some other absorbation issue going on causing the osteoporosis. As you know and understand it is just so hard to really know.

Canary, I am hoping to hear from you tomorrow or the next Day an update...and that is a couple days you will be feeling better overall. My prayers are for healing for you Canary...you are so strong and brave...I am so very impressed!!

Comment

Working...
                              X