Cocoa may help common symptom of MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocoa may help common symptom of MS

Cocoa contains flavonoids, which are plant compounds that occur naturally in fruits, vegetables, wine, and tea. Multiple studies have suggested that flavonoids have anti-inflammatory, "antidiabetic, anticancer, and neuroprotective" benefits.

In the present study, Coe and colleagues randomly divided 40 adults with relapsing-remitting MS and fatigue into two groups. The first group received a cup of a flavonoid-rich drink consisting of rice milk and cocoa powder, while the other group drank a low-flavonoid version of this beverage.

Each group consumed their beverage on a daily basis for 6 weeks. The researchers assessed the participants' fatigue as well as their "fatigability" — that is, how long a person can maintain cognitive and physical performance before fatigue sets in — at baseline, in the middle of the study period, and at the end.

This evaluation included subjective self-assessment and the use of a pedometer to monitor the participants' walking speed. The researchers carried out these assessments at three different points during the day.

Read on here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324616.php

I think I'll start my day tomorrow with a hot cup of flavinoid-rich cocoa!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Now this is research I can get behind! And will start my own trial immediately to ensure accuracy of the data, lol.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

This is great! My friend has been encouraging me to take this and then I saw this post, so today I went to Costco to purchase. Very excited to try. I have to boost my calcium for osteoporosis, so I will have this with some enriched almond milk tomorrow late morning.

Comment

Great MGM! I had some with my coffee this morning to double up on the fatigability quotient
        New word - fatigability - I had never heard of the word before!

Comment

Seasha, does it have caffeine? I can seem to find a straight and direct answer.

I did note hat the Nativas website had some really good recipes.

Comment

Here's what I found - Does Cacao Contain Caffeine?

"Contrary to popular opinion, cacao is a poor source of caffeine. A typical sample of cacao nibs or cacao beans will yield anywhere from zero caffeine to 1,000 parts per million of caffeine (less than 1/20th of the caffeine present in coffee).

In February 2008, Dr. Gabriel Cousens discovered in clinical tests on healthy people that Cacao does not elevate blood sugar in the same way as a caffeine containing food or beverage. In fact, Dr. Cousens’ found that cacao has less of an effect on blood sugar than nearly any other food."

http://www.integrative-living.com/pa...Cacao%20Powder

Comment

Thanks Seasha for the infor. I will be trying it.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks Seasha! Love this stuff! I put a bit of cinnamon, pinch of salt and coconut cream on top. What a great way to start the day!

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Seasha!

If drinking cocoa daily isn't your thing, it would seem that eating dark chocolate with 70-85% cocoa solids would work the same?

From the study:

"Dark chocolate containing 70–85% cocoa solids is well known for its high antioxidant and flavonoid content. Over a 4-week period, dark chocolate consumption has been shown to improve subjective fatigue in those with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS),8 9 and results from a small randomised controlled pilot study using a short-term cocoa intervention suggested an increase in sleep quality and reduction in fatigue"

https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/2...np-2018-319496

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I eat dark choc but it is 60%. I have tried 72% and went back to 60%. I am going to try the powder.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
                      I eat dark choc but it is 60%. I have tried 72% and went back to 60%. I am going to try the powder.
                      REG ~

Did you go back to 60% because of flavor?
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Koko, Yes but I could go back to 72% since I eat it along with coffee.

How much would I have to eat or how much power to use to get the benefits?

Is Hershey's cocoa a good source?
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

Koko, Yes but I could go back to 72% since I eat it along with coffee.

How much would I have to eat or how much power to use to get the benefits?

REG ~

I've read that 1 - 2 oz (1 oz = 28 grams) of dark chocolate (daily, or a few times a week) is all you need for benefits.

I'm going to guess that in the study for cocoa powder, they used the regular serving size for a cup of cocoa - 1 or 2 tablespoons?

Maybe those that are drinking it will be able to answer that.

I'm thinking of getting some baking dark chocolate, and eat it with peanut or almond butter.

Take Care

Comment

Well, supposedly there are less flavanols in cocoa that is "Dutch processed", which on the ingredients it will say "cocoa processed with alkali" or "Dutch processed".

(The processing makes it less bitter, I think, but removes some benefits.)

If it doesn't say that, then there will be more flavanols.

I think Hershey's is Dutch processed, (processed with alkali), but not sure.

Take Care
                            Last edited by KoKo; 03-09-2019, 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

What a great thread! I knew my nightly square of 72% dark chocolate was cheering for my mental health, but now I can feel good about it for my MS also. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
                              Stay lifted,
                              Mermaid Susan
                              "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
                              X