Can medications change our bodies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can medications change our bodies?

How long can anyone stay on meds (or even one med) before it causes changes in our physical make up? Sometimes I feel like I'm poisoning my own body with meds that I might not really need.

I don't take a lot of medication, but I do take some daily. And I've been on some of the same ones for years. I keep thinking that this exhaustion could be a result of daily doses of certain meds that I can probably learn to live without.

Most days I just feel like I've been dragged around and I'm so different from what I used to be before meds. I am not taking DMD's or any MS meds. Just treating some of the symptoms that have attached themselves to me. My neuro just told me he believes I am in remission (first time ever), but I feel so much worse than I ever did before. Can't help feeling it might be the few medications that I do take.

I'm about to go off Clonazepam for sleep. Take Synthroid ( have to keep this one ), Zantac for chronic Gastritis, Zoloft ( 1/2 tablet ) Unisom for sleep, Betahistine for vertigo, Xanax as needed (rare), Baclofen as needed, some vitamins when I think of it, some fiber as needed, Tylenol as needed. Can't think of much else off hand.

Thanks guys.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti,

Originally posted by Marti
    How long can anyone stay on meds (or even one med) before it causes changes in our physical make up?

I do not know if anyone is qualified to answer such a question. Different biological makeup for each of us.

I think it is logical to assume changes to our physical make up because of meds. When? To what extent? Others will comment.

An argument could be made regarding certain meds that you can learn to live without, and "fresh eyes" (another doc's opinion) seems worth the effort.

My trainer had her vitamins & supplements reviewed a year+ ago. The review cut her daily pill in take by 75%. Yeah, it wasn't prescriptions but you get the idea. The simpler, the better. IMO

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
      How long can anyone stay on meds (or even one med) before it causes changes in our physical make up? Sometimes I feel like I'm poisoning my own body with meds that I might not really need.

I don't take a lot of medication, but I do take some daily. And I've been on some of the same ones for years. I keep thinking that this exhaustion could be a result of daily doses of certain meds that I can probably learn to live without.

Most days I just feel like I've been dragged around and I'm so different from what I used to be before meds. I am not taking DMD's or any MS meds. Just treating some of the symptoms that have attached themselves to me. My neuro just told me he believes I am in remission (first time ever), but I feel so much worse than I ever did before. Can't help feeling it might be the few medications that I do take.

I'm about to go off Clonazepam for sleep. Take Synthroid ( have to keep this one ), Zantac for chronic Gastritis, Zoloft ( 1/2 tablet ) Unisom for sleep, Betahistine for vertigo, Xanax as needed (rare), Baclofen as needed, some vitamins when I think of it, some fiber as needed, Tylenol as needed. Can't think of much else off hand.

Thanks guys.
      I don’t know the answer either. The meds you described don’t seem like enough to cause extreme fatigue. Whenever I tell people about my extreme fatigue they always say, “it’s probably the medication.”

For what it is worth I take too many different pills to count and some are the same as your list.

Since I have always suffered from insomnia my doctor felt it was important to make sure I got sleep. She said lack of sleep can lead to worsening symptoms and maybe flairs. So it’s Temazapam for sleep, Xanax used sparingly(the withdrawal effects of it are not worth it). Baclofen but haven’t been taking it lately. And all the things to prevent cardiovascular disease.

It sounds like you are doing everything right medication wise. The benzodiazepines and the Baclofen are all sedating. But I think there is a distinction between feeling sleepy and the crippling fatigue that I feel. Sedating drugs give us a chance to sleep so we won’t feel so tired.

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep. (Great slogan!). It just seems that some of us get the fatigue and others don’t.

Comment

I don't have an answer either. I tend to believe that the fewer meds I am on, the better. Meds can damage liver or kidneys or have other side effects over time.

I take copaxone, but that is the only med I am on. I don't have a lot of symptoms that meds would help. Fatigue, of course, but it's manageable with naps. And mobility and stamina, but that's just MS. And those seem stable and maybe slightly improved since I made dietary and lifestyle changes recommended by my functional medicine doctor.

I do take some supplements. Probiotics, Omega 3, vitamin D3, some B vitamins, a megavitamin and a few others, because I believe they are important.

I take Valerian for sleep; in combination with mindfulness / meditation / breathing at night to keep my mind from being busy, it works well.

I see a kinesiologist once every 3 or 4 weeks to tell me what additional supplements my body needs. It varies from month to month.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
          I don’t know the answer either. The meds you described don’t seem like enough to cause extreme fatigue. Whenever I tell people about my extreme fatigue they always say, “it’s probably the medication.”

For what it is worth I take too many different pills to count and some are the same as your list.

Since I have always suffered from insomnia my doctor felt it was important to make sure I got sleep. She said lack of sleep can lead to worsening symptoms and maybe flairs. So it’s Temazapam for sleep, Xanax used sparingly(the withdrawal effects of it are not worth it). Baclofen but haven’t been taking it lately. And all the things to prevent cardiovascular disease.

It sounds like you are doing everything right medication wise. The benzodiazepines and the Baclofen are all sedating. But I think there is a distinction between feeling sleepy and the crippling fatigue that I feel. Sedating drugs give us a chance to sleep so we won’t feel so tired.

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep. (Great slogan!). It just seems that some of us get the fatigue and others don’t.

Well said. This fatigue is really the worst! I'll have to ask about Temazepam. I took that years ago, but not for long. Now my neuro won't order any Benzo's for me. But I have another doctor who will. That almost sounds wrong or illegal. But she is my age and has MS also and understands the whole package. I do take Co q 10 when I remember it and some Omega's. Is that what you referred to? Anyway, thanks so much. My other doctor always tells me I am not abusing meds and they should not be affecting me so I assume this fatigue is the infamous MS fatigue.
          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I don't have an answer either. I tend to believe that the fewer meds I am on, the better. Meds can damage liver or kidneys or have other side effects over time.

I take copaxone, but that is the only med I am on. I don't have a lot of symptoms that meds would help. Fatigue, of course, but it's manageable with naps. And mobility and stamina, but that's just MS. And those seem stable and maybe slightly improved since I made dietary and lifestyle changes recommended by my functional medicine doctor.

I do take some supplements. Probiotics, Omega 3, vitamin D3, some B vitamins, a megavitamin and a few others, because I believe they are important.

I take Valerian for sleep; in combination with mindfulness / meditation / breathing at night to keep my mind from being busy, it works well.

I see a kinesiologist once every 3 or 4 weeks to tell me what additional supplements my body needs. It varies from month to month.

Mama I've tried meditation etc, but I can't concentrate for long. Even prayers get lost after a couple minutes. Right now I'm fighting the flu or a head cold. Not sure which it is, but it's kicking my butt. So I'm extra tired. And it seems that when (rarely) I get sick like this I slow down on extra meds because I'm not eating much and so many meds make me feel icky sick in the stomach. So, I take a little break when illness calls. What is a kinesiologist?
            Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
              Mama I've tried meditation etc, but I can't concentrate for long. Even prayers get lost after a couple minutes. Right now I'm fighting the flu or a head cold. Not sure which it is, but it's kicking my butt. So I'm extra tired. And it seems that when (rarely) I get sick like this I slow down on extra meds because I'm not eating much and so many meds make me feel icky sick in the stomach. So, I take a little break when illness calls. What is a kinesiologist?
              Yeah. In meditation, I vary from
              - concentrating on hearing and feeling only my breath,
              - to noticing every single sound around me,
              - to body awareness; cultivating awareness, from head working my way down to toes, of every point of contact my body makes with my pillow, the bed, or another body part, etc

I often spend only 10-20 seconds on each exercise before moving on to the next. That way, my mind has little time to wander.

I first found a guided meditation app for my phone and used it during awake times to teach me how to do it. I think I used Headspace; I don't remember. It only had 10 free meditations, I think. I quit after that because I didn't want to pay the subscription fee. But that's all it took for me to benefit and use it at night on my own, without the app, to help me fall asleep.

I tried it once without the Valerian and it didn't work so well, so I think I need the combination.
              ------------
              Kinesiology is a form of oriental / Chinese alternative medicine that uses something called "muscle testing" .

It's kind of weird. It helps to diagnose problems with the body and treat with herbs, etc. I bring a big bag of all my supplements each time and she tests to see which ones I need until my next visit. Or if I could benefit from any of her products (I usually don't need hers).

She could tell, before I told her about my symptoms, when my body was having trouble with my bladder and kidneys.

Once, I took my copaxone and her testing said that I needed it. I usually don't take it because I don't plan to give it up for awhile, no matter what she would say.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I so get this dilemma!

Marti, I too struggle with this very issue. My neuro wants me on an MS therapy and now with an osteoporosis diagnosis, another doctor wants me on an infusion to treat that too. All have bad side effects. Part of me just wants to just live and take what comes....maybe the disease isn’t worse than the cure. This very issue is causing me great anxiety...and I too wish I knew the “right” answer.

Regarding Klonopin: I take that every night as well...either .25 mg or .50 mg depending on how I feel, MS symptoms and need for sleep. I just can’t seem to get off it completely or I just don’t sleep at all. I have been on this small dose off and on for over 15 years, going back before I knew I had MS. I felt like it reset my brain but in fact calmed my CNS. Personally, I think this low dose is actually therapeutic for me....yes, even though it is a benzodiazepine, which is highly addictive. Other than not getting off of it, I have no other side effects and haven’t needed to increase the dose amount.

The medical community knows a lot but there is much more that they just don’t really know. I feel for you and am right there with you on the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
                  Marti, I too struggle with this very issue. My neuro wants me on an MS therapy and now with an osteoporosis diagnosis, another doctor wants me on an infusion to treat that too. All have bad side effects. Part of me just wants to just live and take what comes....maybe the disease isn’t worse than the cure. This very issue is causing me great anxiety...and I too wish I knew the “right” answer.

Regarding Klonopin: I take that every night as well...either .25 mg or .50 mg depending on how I feel, MS symptoms and need for sleep. I just can’t seem to get off it completely or I just don’t sleep at all. I have been on this small dose off and on for over 15 years, going back before I knew I had MS. I felt like it reset my brain but in fact calmed my CNS. Personally, I think this low dose is actually therapeutic for me....yes, even though it is a benzodiazepine, which is highly addictive. Other than not getting off of it, I have no other side effects and haven’t needed to increase the dose amount.

The medical community knows a lot but there is much more that they just don’t really know. I feel for you and am right there with you on the challenge.

Thanks. I have Osteoporosis too and am not willing to take their drugs! Scare the heck out of me. I'm really upset with my neuro about the Clonazepam. I've taken it for years, like you, with absolutely no ill effects. It helps me sleep and sleep is what I can't get on my own. I'm a professional insomniac! I have a doctor friend who tells me the small amounts of meds I take are not an issue for me. But I guess the neuro is going by the current standards and is afraid of being sued down the road. So he refuses to order the very few meds that have been successful for me. This is so frustrating.
                  Marti

Comment

Working...
                  X