X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New study: Prevalence of MS More Than Doubles Estimate

Prevalence of MS More Than Doubles Estimate

Summary blurb:
    A new study funded by the National MS Society has confirmed that nearly one million people are living with MS in the United States, more than twice the original estimate from a previous study. This breakthrough is a pivotal moment in the MS movement as a scientifically sound measure of prevalence helps us better understand the disease and its impact. With twice as many people are living with MS, solutions for MS are now twice as important.
    In addition to the main paper outlining these results, two companion papers providing background information on prevalence in the U.S. and reviewing the study methods were also published in the February 15, 2019, online issue of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

There's more at the above link.
    59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Thanks for reporting this. I saw something similar while reading the news via my phone.

It's about time they reported a more accurate number! I remember reading years ago that the number was 400,000 and many years later the number hadn't changed. I hope this increased number leads us into more research and awareness for our benefit.

This link is a FAQ from Golgotho's above article - https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...Prevalence-FAQ
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post
      This breakthrough is a pivotal moment in the MS movement as a scientifically sound measure of prevalence helps us better understand the disease and its impact.
      Thanks Golgotha. At my last neuro visit he said he thinks many things that used to be categorized as old age "infirmities" are indeed MS that rears its head later in life. I am wondering if these improved statistics also reflect better diagnostic practices.
      All the best, ~G

Comment

So glad they finally acknowledged what we knew! I have to think better MRI technology and standard diagnostic criteria have helped diagnose more frequently.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          It's about time they reported a more accurate number! I remember reading years ago that the number was 400,000 and many years later the number hadn't changed. I hope this increased number leads us into more research and awareness for our benefit.
          I was kind of thinking the same thing... but to be honest this thing brings in way to much money for them to ever really try to find a cure.

Comment

Working...
          X