My friend says I am too active

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend says I am too active

My friend has CIDP and has lost a leg. She used to be one of my riding buddies. Now she has been told she has "probable" MS. She always asks what I have done each day. She said she lives vicariously through me. I have always said if I stop I probably will not ever start again. Yesterday was a good day for me.

"Here's what I did today. Today was a nice day here so after church I was going to enjoy it by riding my horse for fun. You see, my husband and I have a small farm. He had to work today so it was up to me to check the cows, put out hay (if needed) and feed the cow and calf at the barn. I thought I could do those things after my ride.

Well, I rode through our small herd, checked the hay, and noticed something out of place in the hay lot. There went my riding for pleasure. A cow was in the hay trap and we are just praying our hay will hold out until we get some grass growing. It was a bad summer for cutting hay and everyone is hoping to make it through til spring. This cow didn't want to leave the lot and I really NEEDED to ride (before I had to deal with stupid people). Ugh! Decided I needed a little help driving her out so I went to get my dog to help her see the error of her ways.

I left the horse at the house, jumped on the tractor and headed back to run the cow out, and put out hay. My pup is young but she did good and it didn't take long for the cow to find her way out with a little gentle persuasion nipping at her heels. I found how she got in and patched that fence, put out hay, fed the horses, treated a wound on a cow's udder, fed the dogs and chickens, then washed our clothes and cooked supper. You know what? I had a good day."

Tomorrow I get to go to work. I have one of the best jobs I could have. I work for a mixed practice veterinarian as an assistant. What do y'all do that you refuse to give up?
    All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Great Life!

Dear Sulphur Kennel,
    Thank you for posting your interesting (and charming) account of your day. Never apologize for such a useful and fun life on a farm and working with the vet. Keep up the good work for as long as you can.

I have had MS for almost 50 years, and had a 25-year career as a professional dancer and choreographer. I feel that a life of movement kept me strong with MS. Older now and with much disability, I dance in the pool every day at the health club and choreograph liturgical dance at the church.

Stay lifted,
    Mermaid Susan
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Love hearing about what we refuse to give up.

My MS is stable so I continue to take my meds and hope for good days. Not all of my days are as good, but when I have a good one, I like to share.

Mermaid, I love to hear that you are still dancing. So you have just adjusted it to a different stage. I am hoping for more good days this year. Last year wasn't the best for me, but I refuse to let this disease get the best of me. I know I will have bad days but I don't want to dwell on the bad.
      All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

Yep!!!! Great life!!!
        Love it too.
        We have had a bad drought in aus and we lost some animals because of it. its heart breaking to have to shoot cattle or have them die because they get so weak from lack of food.
        It cost a lot for hay last year and it still wasn't enough ,so we are in the process of putting in our own patch of irrigation so it doesn't happen again.

I went through the effort last week to get all our cattle in and drafted off the calves for weaning. This took most of the day and even though i was tired etc it was a good day.
        The trouble is that when i returned to our yards to check on the water trough there was a cow in with the calves. She had jumped the rails in a panel where the to rail had been busted by a falling tree, even though it was still 3 rails high, to get at the calves hay and she wasn't happy about me putting her back out. They can be so human some times

I hope the horses had a belly ache the other day too. The greedy things had eaten 2 slabs of lucern each while i wormed and pampered them, but unfortunately my husband left the shipping container door ajar where we store it and they helped themselves to the rest.
        So they won't be getting any treats for a while.

Even though it can be tough and hard work i strongly believe that keeping going both physically and mentally has helped me maintain many functions that i may have lost. If i didn't have kids and animals that depend on me to get physical i would be so unfit.

And it makes me feel alive!!
        The 'experts' are telling us now that one of the best things for our heath and well being is interacting with nature.
        This has always been true imho.
        Thanks for sharing.
        Caroline

Comment

I refuse to give up my job as a surgery veterinary technician. I worked to hard for my license.

I refuse to give up my early morning work outs or my after work second jobs. Basically everything I do lol...

Also tattoos, concerts, piercings , ... I might have a slight addiction there.

You work at a mixed animal clinic? You prefer small or large animal?

I looked into one when I first graduated but it was a 30 minute drive so I kept working my part time fast food just until I found something close by.

Comment

Working...
          X